585,748 active members*
3,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

used cad / cam software

I never seem to be able to find used cad / cam software for milling / router on ebay or other classifieds.

Looking for a deskey dongle for alphacam, but I am also interested in other legal, but used software (like bob cad)

if someone knows the best place to look for this stuff, let me know.

Thanks

Re: used cad / cam software

Why not simply buy one of the low cost packages new? Take a look at Freemill,Meshcam,Dolphin or even the Path module of Freecad .I deliberately didn't mention Bobcad. I don't know of any licence agreement that permits the sale of installed software to a subsequent owner.There is sometimes an escape clause if the business that owned the software is closing down and the purchaser agrees to buy the cam "department" of the company.

The best place to find used software would probably be forums dedicated to that software. For the sale to be legal, the company, must offer the option of transferring the license, which usually comes with a fee.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Why not simply buy one of the low cost packages new? Take a look at Freemill,Meshcam,Dolphin or even the Path module of Freecad .I deliberately didn't mention Bobcad. I don't know of any licence agreement that permits the sale of installed software to a subsequent owner.There is sometimes an escape clause if the business that owned the software is closing down and the purchaser agrees to buy the cam "department" of the company.
    Thanks for those suggestions, it will take me a while to look at them one by one. For alphacam tho, its something I have used for nearly 20 years, I would love to get my own deskey. Even when local companies go bust that I know use alphacam i can never buy their deskey.

Have you looked into AutoDesk Fusion360? It's free for hobbyists and does complete CAD/CAM.
    Just a suggestion.

Hi Hummer - You can't find second hand software because it generally does not exist. The software "seller" has only sold a license to use the software not a sale agreement as in ownership. So as Ger21 says to transfer the license an agreement has to be made between the first Licensee, the software owner/provider and yourself. I have done this in the past with expensive software so it is possible. Peter