584,833 active members*
5,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Which CAD/CAM software for basic 2D to G-code for hole drilling on CNC running MACH3

Which CAD/CAM software for basic 2D to G-code for hole drilling on CNC running MACH3

I usually draw stuff in Sketchup8. I started to learn Fusion360 until it went web-only and subscription.

I have a gantry type CNC mill, with MACH3.

I want to do some repetitive hole drilling, so I am going to get it done quicker by hand coding the G-code or is there a quick and easy 2D CAD package that is worth trying? Ideally free, or cheap and subscription free?

If there's something out there that can do 3D too, that'd be great.

Just thought I'd ask here before I go googling...

Cheers.

Re: Which CAD/CAM software for basic 2D to G-code for hole drilling on CNC running MA

hy, i can help you with a custom application if you wish; for details, let's talk in private / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: Which CAD/CAM software for basic 2D to G-code for hole drilling on CNC running MA

Freecad meets the cost criterion,but maybe not the easy part.Have you tried it?If not,watch a couple of youtube videos first to get some idea of what you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Freecad meets the cost criterion,but maybe not the easy part.Have you tried it?If not,watch a couple of youtube videos first to get some idea of what you need to do.
    Yes, I just downloaded it last night! Seems to do just about everything including having Path Workbench to do the post processing.

Little bit of a learning curve, but I guess it's good to excercise the grey matter every so often.

Funny how you get so used to the speed and ease of using sketchup and going to another CAD package seems so hard.

For 2D and 2.5D work, I personally vote for CamBam. It's not free, but it has very generous trial terms. Once you learn the interface and configure your preferences, it takes mere seconds to sketch a simple part in CamBam and spit out the G-code file.

FreeCAD is a great program for 3D parts, but the learning curve is pretty steep. The CAM part of FreeCAD is not as easy, flexible or trouble-free compared to CamBam.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    For 2D and 2.5D work, I personally vote for CamBam. It's not free, but it has very generous trial terms. Once you learn the interface and configure your preferences, it takes mere seconds to sketch a simple part in CamBam and spit out the G-code file.

FreeCAD is a great program for 3D parts, but the learning curve is pretty steep. The CAM part of FreeCAD is not as easy, flexible or trouble-free compared to CamBam.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

I wondered if there was a simple WYSIWYG front end to MACH3 where you can drop and drag holes, slots, circles etc and the CNC will cut them?

Do you really need CAD/CAM?
    This is not free ... but subscription free ... lifetime license ... 2 seats standard ... no maintenance fees .... MACH3 compatible with no "post processor" needed ... MACH3 code out-of-the-box ... 3D option :
    https://kentechinc.com/kipwarem/

I moved from Cambam to Vectric cut2D for 2 1/2D Same cost but Cambam isn’t updated anymore. Unless your looking at doing 3d carving you can do a lot with 2 1/2D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometime in the past Cambam released a fairly major revision. You can extrude shapes and import 3D mesh geometry and cam it. Probably worth taking a look at especially if you have a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anything out there that will be free. First, Check to see if the Mach 3 Wizard on it work you might contact them see if they still offer full version. From what you said I think you probably should look more into conversational programming like Wizard, KipwareM, CIMCOEdit. and other thing you didn't mention about the hole you are doing, is it pattern hole or random? if it is pattern holes and grid holes, few line can cycle will take care that, no Conversational or CAD/CAM can't beat it. Click Here Grid program sample click here

Try Bodcad is nice.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by richard-at-home View Post
    Yes, I just downloaded it last night! Seems to do just about everything including having Path Workbench to do the post processing.

Little bit of a learning curve, but I guess it's good to excercise the grey matter every so often.

Funny how you get so used to the speed and ease of using sketchup and going to another CAD package seems so hard.
    If you are more comfortable with other packages to create the object to be produced,it is possible to import a range of file formats and then to use the Path workbench.I agree that it isn't the most intuitive software package out there,but it is hugely capable and getting better by the week.The youtube videos by sliptonic are a great resource for understanding the essentials and a bit more besides.There are others and a bit of searching will probably lead you to them.