584,879 active members*
5,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Unusual slop in Denford Micromill/Sherline 5400 Vertical Mill

Unusual slop in Denford Micromill/Sherline 5400 Vertical Mill

First I'll link the video which should help greatly in determining if this is a normal problem or not. I would love to use this mill with a probe on one of the input pins to pick up offsets and measure parts. First I would like to know if this slop is normal and if there is a way to minimize it. I move the motors back and forth so you can hear the difference in the sound when it starts moving the table. Both axis have some unintended movement but the X has more than the Y. The Z is very minimal, less than .002". I would like to have all the axis in that area.
    So far simply loading a part and program i'm holding better than .010" in all dimensions/axis without compensating tool wear diameter or tool length. If it is something with the axis lead screw pretensioners then how am I supposed to turn the star washer to take out the slop. Thanks for any help. This is my first post here as I venture into home DIY machining.

Link: https://youtu.be/gMoXRb1QNA0

Youtube description for reference:

I'm having an issue with my micromill that i'm just now noticing. It may have always existed but I guess with the temperature changes and not running it in a couple of weeks it just seemed like I noticed this like it was something new. It seems to machine the same in terms of how well the finish it leaves which isn't superb but is decent given its rigidity. The video shows where the slop is and if it's normal. The lead screws and where they link up to move the table around doesn't have much slop. I guess i'm just overreacting and it's just the springy couplings but it sounds like i'm hitting something solid when I manually move the axis back and forth instead of just going against a spring force and then it moves back on its own. Hopefully it's a simple adjustment.

Re: Unusual slop in Denford Micromill/Sherline 5400 Vertical Mill

No, that is not normal. That slop should be zero. Looks like there is no preload on the ballscrew end support bearings. There should be a nut to tighten somewhere, or the bearing needs to be end shimmed in its housing.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Unusual slop in Denford Micromill/Sherline 5400 Vertical Mill

No thrust bearing or nut. Loosen that coupler and engage the screw further in and retighten. The older Sherline CNC were similar and needed babysitting, the newer stepper housings have the bearing.
    A lazy man does it twice.