585,753 active members*
3,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Error on Startup

I'm trying to do a test run [first time] on the spindle on my mill and keep getting an error code.

The VFD is a Hitachi SJ200 -022nfu

The spindle is a SC-73 Ekstrom rated at 2.8hp.

I've got the VFD connected to 240vac single phase.

I have a rated reactor which I've connected to the motor outputs and there after to the motor.

I'm following through the book to just get the motor running initially. I set the max and base Hz [120/300Hz]for the motor as well as the rated voltage [220vac] and amperage [8.8A] and set it up for keypad/pot control.

When I start the motor it rolls up to about 7.8Hz [with the reactor connected] or 7.1Hz [without the reactor connected] and faults at 11-11.8 amp. And over 300volts. There is a very high pitch squeal from the VFD for about 1/2 sec when I first turn the pot to start the motor [after hitting the run button] the motor starts out spinning and makes maybe a couple rev's [just gets started turning and it faults and slows back to a stop]

The error I get is a E 02. Now E 02 is a DECELERATION error.. while I'm trying to accelerate the motor.. can anyone make sense of this? I bought this VFD, the spindle and the reactor second hand but "as new". Does it sound like there is an issue w/ the VFD?

I get this error w/ or w/out the reactor connected. The spindle is very free to turn.. [nothing connected] and with a simple twist of the spindle I can spin it very easily.. there is no resistance to turning that I can feel..

I'm no expert [or even really experianced] with VFD's so any help that can be offered would be GREATLY appreciated..

Thnks..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Did you see the similar thread by Denis? http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38621
    Apparently, there is a problem getting high freq Spindles with these VFD's?
    It does not appear to make much sense to me.
    I mentioned to him to try 60hz and run at that, see if you can do this.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I read it over but it seem's a bit different in that his didn't fault but just wouldn't go over 5Hz..

I'll try a lower Hz level, I can see the speed spooling up, but once it hit's 7.8Hz it just faults, also the current AND the voltage levels are off the charts.. I don't understand it myself.. doesn't make sense unless the VFD was fried when I bought it? How hard is it to send one of these away to get serviced in Canada?

Thanks Al
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Do you have a small 240v 3 ph motor you can test the VFD with?
    Al.

Albert E.

Nope, all I have is this spindle motor.. I tried it at 60Hz and now it only got to about 2.3hz before it crapped out.. I noticed on Hitachi's website that a E 02 error could mean there is a short... which would make sense, I saw a couple error's where it was indicating over 12amp's... the VFD is only rated for 11 soo.. Very frustrating... I may just call the service center in Vancouver to ask them about it on monday.. I don't know what else to check.. I pulled the motor cover off again to double check that the wires are all still connected and not shorted. The only other thing I can think of is that I've got a fourth wire [ground wire] attached to the body of the spindle [on a bolt that had a ground symbol on it] and this is grounded to the case of the VFD.. but that shouldn't do it [short it] should it? Would it hurt to pull that wire off and try running it w/out it connected?
    JerryFlyGuy

The ground connection should not matter, If there is no short in the VFD it should run up to set frequency with no motor connected without error.
    Al.

Albert E.

Ya I figured.. I disconnected it and tried it again.. but still the same thing..

I sure hope I didn't buy a Dudd VFD...

Sigh....
    JerryFlyGuy

Doesn't sound right if nothing connected on the output.

Albert E.

Hrrm... well I didn't try it with the motor disconnected.. is that 'Ok' to do? I thought it might hurt something so I didn't try that.. I just disconnected the ground wire from the body of the spindle.. but If I can test it with the motor disconnected and not have to worry about hurting the drive I'll try that too..
    JerryFlyGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy View Post
    Hrrm... well I didn't try it with the motor disconnected.. is that 'Ok' to do?
    I have done it many times, just to set up parameters.
    Al.

Albert E.

Ok.. I'll be back in 10 to tell you what happens when I do it....
    JerryFlyGuy

Verdict is .. I don't think the issue is w/ the VFD.. w/out the wiring connected it will cycle up no problem.. but re-connect the wiring and it gives the E 02. I'm running it direct wired to the motor and the squeal [more like a squeek really but it's so short it's hard to get a feel for it] is coming from the spindle.. as far as I can tell. Yet the spindle doesn't make a sound when turned by hand.. it doesn't make sense.. It sounds like a metal on metal pivot or something that is a bit rusty.. maybe a hinge.. but the drive faults sooo fast that it only lasts for well ... less than a second anyway..

The motor should be absolutly silent shouldn't it?

I double checked and the U/V/W wires are connected correctly to the VFD.. I've also reset all the parameters to the default USA settings and re-programed the basic parameters.. it still does it..

Any other ideas?

It's supposed to be a two pole motor.. so I've got it set as such.. but is it possible it's a four pole or something? Would it hurt to try running it as a four or six pole?
    JerryFlyGuy

Normally at low rpm, the motor is completely silent, it sounds like it might be electrical noise of some kind.
    What is on the name plate of the motor?
    The rpm at a specified frequency will give you the pole count.
    If the motor is a 240v 3 phase, try and find a source of 3 phase 230 to try the motor at 60hz, or some one that can test it for you, a winding shop may oblige.
    Al.

Albert E.

The motor name plate is 220v 2Kw 8.8A 300Hz 18000rpm power factor .83 2pole S1 service type

I'm thinking I might take it off and just connect it via three really short wires and see if it will 'bench run' direct from the VFD.. it has to be a dead short someplace.. possibly inside the motor or it's in the cable.. so.. elliminate the cable and it must be the motor right? Then I'll have to send it back for servicing to Ekstrom.. I can imagine what the bill will be... I sure hope it's the cable and not the motor ..
    JerryFlyGuy

Major discrepancy in your posting here. You said earlier it was 120Hz, 3000RPM, now you say it is a 300Hz motor, 18000RPM. If the latter is true, you MUST set up the VFD to tell it that the MOTOR is a 300Hz design, otherwise your V/Hz ratio is so far off that the motor will just saturate almost immediately. Just setting the maximum command frequency to 120Hz will still leave it set up at the default setting to deliver 230V at 60Hz, for a V/hz ratio of 3.83:1. Your motor, if it is a 300Hz 220V design, needs only 0.733V/Hz! So if you didn't fix that, you are giving that motor over 5 times the voltage it needs to operate!

You must find the parameter that sets up the maximum frequency for the V/Hz ratio AND the voltage at which the maximum frequency occurs. Those settings MUST DIRECTLY MATCH the motor nameplate information.

OK, I just re-read your original post (it didn't show when I was composing the other response) and I had it wrong, but I see your problem. I also read the manual and see that you need to set BOTH parameters to 300Hz, not just the max. The "Base" frequency is apparently what Hitachi uses to determine the V/Hz ratio.

A044 must also be set yo "00" for Constant Torque because you cannot run in Vector control above 60Hz.

JRaef I don't know how you knew to mention those particular things.. but my spindle works now

Thanks very much.. I'd pulled it out and tested a few other things first.. I wish I'd read your post as it would have saved me from removing and re-installing the spindle.. anyway... I don't care.. I'm happy

Thanks again..
    JerryFlyGuy

Cool

... I don't know how you knew to mention those particular things..
    Experience.
    It's a cruel teacher, but the lessons learned stay that way. You will not likely forget now either will you? So someday when someone mentions a similar problem, you will be able to recognize it too.

Maybe, but then I don't understand the theory behind it, to know when it'd be nesc and when it's not.. etc... I'm still a total nube when it comes to electrons

Another question for you. Every time I shut down the VFD and then power it up again, it's sitting at A001 and I have to up arrow to D001 and hit feature. Is this because the little slide switch is set to PRG? When I connect it up so I have 0-10vdc control and switch that slide switch to TRM will it stop doing this? I couldn't see anything in the book about setting it so it starts out already in D001.

Lastly, is there a proper way to shut down a VFD? I've been making sure the motor is stopped and then hitting the power disconnect.. is this ok or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks sir!
    JerryFlyGuy

Don't you just love how those manuals are written? It all begins to make sense after many, many tries
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Page 1 of 2 12