585,685 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

USA to NZ move

Hi,
    Im moving to NZ in April and will be having to give up my PM25 CNC mill, as shipping it down would be too expensive in addition to needing to convert the spindle motor over to something that can run on 50hz. I will, however, be bringing so of my tooling. But I don't want to bring a bunch of dead weight for systems that aren't very popular/supported. Is the Torch TTS tool holder system very popular in NZ/AUS- ie are additional holders readily available or is this something that needs to be imported from China? Also, what are some of the shops that cater to the home shop level machinist- I get Scott Machinery and Machinery House as the only two that seem to have an online presence- are there other places that I should check out?
    Cheers
    Joe

Re: USA to NZ move

Chevpac is another.
    There are heaps of smaller suppliers but, as you say, they don't have a large online presence.
    Not sure about the Tormach system, it probably is common as Machinery in NZ seems to come from all parts of the world depending on the ever changing exchange rate.
    Where in NZ will you be?

thank you for that- I will check out Chevpac. I’m renting at the moment, but located near Kaiapoi, and planning to buy a place somewhere more central in Christchurch. I suspect by that time happens my shop money will have disappeared into a mortgage!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus23C View Post
    Chevpac is another.
    There are heaps of smaller suppliers but, as you say, they don't have a large online presence.
    Not sure about the Tormach system, it probably is common as Machinery in NZ seems to come from all parts of the world depending on the ever changing exchange rate.
    Where in NZ will you be?

Small world. I'm in Rolleston.

woolston here

Pretty good chance that your motor will operate fine on 50 hz power.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg3234 View Post
    thank you for that- I will check out Chevpac. I’m renting at the moment, but located near Kaiapoi, and planning to buy a place somewhere more central in Christchurch. I suspect by that time happens my shop money will have disappeared into a mortgage!
    What was the attraction to Christchurch
    Mactec54

Hi,
    Im moving to NZ in April and will be having to give up my PM25 CNC mill, as shipping it down would be too expensive in addition to needing to convert the spindle motor over to something that can run on 50hz. I will, however, be bringing so of my tooling. But I don't want to bring a bunch of dead weight for systems that aren't very popular/supported. Is the Torch TTS tool holder system very popular in NZ/AUS- ie are additional holders readily available or is this something that needs to be imported from China? Also, what are some of the shops that cater to the home shop level machinist- I get Scott Machinery and Machinery House as the only two that seem to have an online presence- are there other places that I should check out?
    Cheers
    Joe
    When you see the costs for machines in NZ you may wish that you had shipped it with you, if your machine uses a VFD Drive then you just may have to change some speed Parameters, if the motor is only rated for 60Hz then it will run hotter, most 3Ph Ac motors are rated for 50Hz / 60Hz
    Mactec54

Hi,

I get Scott Machinery and Machinery House as the only two that seem to have an online presence- are there other places that I should check out?
    New Zealand is such a small market, there are few 'retail' shops, and those that are tend to be pricey.

The good news is that you can import anything you want from anywhere and pay GST only, that is 15%, in the way of import tax.

There are a number of places that cater for the industrial market with all the top brands from around the world but they are just too expensive for hobbyists,
    unless your need is very great.

I tend to import most things, the range and prices generally are better than buying locally.

I'm at Selwyn Huts, 20k south of Christchurch.

Craig

Hi,
    Cheers
    Joe
    In my opinion, buying a new machine could be better option.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
    In my opinion, buying a new machine could be better option.
    You are miss informed, the cost of say the same machine as he had would be around double the cost in NZ
    Mactec54