585,676 active members*
5,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Stepper stalls high speed

Update

Got the 48v power supply.

The driver was set at 20steps and I ended up leaving it there. At 8 steps it would stall when starting at full speed. However ut will now work at full speed which it did not with the 24v power supply.

To be honest I think I am at the end of the motors ability to raise and lower the Z axis and having seen a few more CNC conversion vids people seem to prefer the the Nema 34.

The Nema 34 may be overkill, but as they say in racing "Better toi have too much power than too little "

So Craig, if I was going to go the Nema 34 route what setup would you advise please

PS the Nema 23 would not be wasted as I would like to add power feed to the Y axis, which is a lot easier to move compared to the Z axis

Hi,

The driver was set at 20steps and I ended up leaving it there. At 8 steps it would stall when starting at full speed
    I think this is a minor detail, that it stalls is telling me that the stepper is very marginally maintain thee acceleration demanded of it by Mach.
    Reduce the acceleration in Machs motor tuning somewhat and it would work. Likewise reduce the maximum speed in the motor tuning
    and the stall would probably never be triggered.

If you want to maintain current speed and accelerations then you need a better stepper which was always my suspicion all along.
    You could if you desire go for a 34 size motor, they all tend to have much higher holding torque but a good 23 size would work fine.
    I have told you what to look for: LOW INDUCTANCE, 1mH preferably and absolutely reject anything over 2mH.
    I have also recommended an 80V power supply which obviously requires an 80V driver like an AM822.

As an example:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Note that it has 1.18mH inductance, very respectable. Note also that is requires 6A to get its 3.1Nm torque, a high current for the level of torque, a
    common feature with low inductance motors.

Craig

Looking on some of the uk siites its difficult finding stepper motors under 2mH

Hi,

Then don't restrict yourself to UK sites.....low inductance steppers are few and far between and yet they are required for high
    speed operation. If you start looking for 34 size they should be 2-3mH, 2mH preferred, reject anything over 3,5mH.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Petro1head View Post
    Update

Got the 48v power supply.

The driver was set at 20steps and I ended up leaving it there. At 8 steps it would stall when starting at full speed. However ut will now work at full speed which it did not with the 24v power supply.

To be honest I think I am at the end of the motors ability to raise and lower the Z axis and having seen a few more CNC conversion vids people seem to prefer the the Nema 34.

The Nema 34 may be overkill, but as they say in racing "Better toi have too much power than too little "

So Craig, if I was going to go the Nema 34 route what setup would you advise please

PS the Nema 23 would not be wasted as I would like to add power feed to the Y axis, which is a lot easier to move compared to the Z axis
    Its nice to know that the new power supply seems to have eliminated the stalling.I'm a little curious about the addition of the Nema 23 to the Y axis,was the machine running with just CNC control on the Z axis? If so I highly recommend switching to full CNC control-it will change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Its nice to know that the new power supply seems to have eliminated the stalling.I'm a little curious about the addition of the Nema 23 to the Y axis,was the machine running with just CNC control on the Z axis? If so I highly recommend switching to full CNC control-it will change your life.
    TBH not interested in CNC, old fashioned and like twiddling my knobs

Quote Originally Posted by Petro1head View Post
    I had to settle with 3mh around the 570oz holding torque size of motors.
    You can find 2mh on closed loop ones but can't afford/justify getting some yet.

Page 2 of 2 12