585,741 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My Furnace

Talking My Furnace

Hi,
    Just want to make sure i have all the info before I go out to buy the stuff.
    So what I need is a crucible, ill get a few different sizes. Lifting/pouring thongs etc.
    A propane burner, I heard u should get one with a built in fan or something but i know what they mean.

A bucket or something that can take the shape of the refractory.
    refractory, still not sure which ones to use or mix, i still need a bit of advice on that one, or research more.
    probably a welder and some metal.
    loadsa safety gear.

I'd be mainly using it for melting aluminium. but also some steel.
    also i can get my hands on titanium or is that outa this type of furnaces league?

Any more info pointers, or advice is very welcome.

Seb.

You really need to search the web for some sites and some background on exactly what you want to do. I hope you do more than look here before you get anything.
    Try starting with http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html

You will not be melting steel. You will not even touch titanium. Depending upon what you build you might be able to melt small amounts of brass. The most likely is aluminum. Iron is most likely a no unless you build a cupola or get some really kick ass refractory and one hell of a burner.

mc_n_g

Quote Originally Posted by mc_n_g View Post
    You really need to search the web for some sites and some background on exactly what you want to do. I hope you do more than look here before you get anything.
    Try starting with http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html

You will not be melting steel. You will not even touch titanium. Depending upon what you build you might be able to melt small amounts of brass. The most likely is aluminum. Iron is most likely a no unless you build a cupola or get some really kick ass refractory and one hell of a burner.

mc_n_g
    :withstupi < Better smiley needed but I agree with the poster 100% Dont even think about steel/iron till you've taken the time to understand how to produce an Al casting. It's 33 years since I poured my first Al casting (A Cannon) I still think Steel is way too much for a home foundry. If there's a small run casting firm nearby ask for a tour :idea: I prefer to use the castable refractory as cement on refractory bricks £30 to line a 45 gallon (UK) drum...cheap enough for a Yorkshireman Have fun matey :cheers:
    Keith

It will be a while before i do this because im looking into alot of things and wondering which is the best to start off with.
    Main intrestes are milling, casting, welding, and powder coating.
    Eventually I want to do everything, but my dad doesnt want to give me money untill i know exactly what is the best thing to start with.
    I was going to do the casting because it seemed to me to be the cheapest, and i wouldnt have to ask my dad for cash.

I'm learning alot bout u guys, also I'm not only looking at this forum, I am looking at all aspects, trying to find out info about everything, on different forums and websites.

also thanks for the replys .

I'm not gona rush this, cos at first i thought it was a bit easier than this to do everything.

thanks again.

Seb.

Is a cupola not something you want to build? If you are intent on melting iron, I would recomend a cupola. Steel is going to be complicated, oxygen is hard to avoid, for usable steel you'll need to learn about foamy slags, produce carbon monoxide, hydration, v-ratios, and other things that are tough to achieve in the back yard. Iron on the other hand is less sensitive, the toughest element to melting iron being enough heat. Let me know if you're interested, I've been melting iron for a while.

Blue..

You can start real cheap by getting a used 30 gallon oil drum and lining it with a refrctory made with clean sand mixed with fireclay. Make it about 3-4" thick. For a lid cut off the top 3" of the drum, cris cross it with steel wire leaving a 4" hole in the middle and pack it with the same refractory. Bake the entire thing by filling it with charcoal and let it burn with no air blast. For a quick and dirty melt use regular charcoal and a blower (Hair dryers will work but not very well). An electric leaf blower makes way to much air flow but are very cheap and you can brace it between bricks and blow the air into the furnace from about ten feet away so it won't be so strong. For fast cheap pots to melt in use a large threaded plumbing nipple with one end cap. You can even use wood by flling the furnace with good dry hardwood and letting it burn down to coals. You have to use a lot to do this and it takes to long but I have done it several times. I have about five furnaces, some gas some charcole. As you play with them it gets easier and you will figure out new ways of making it work. I have cast hundreds of parts and it is a lot of fun but be carefull as any mistake can mess you up for life.

JIM

You don't need to buy a crucible for Aluminum.I,and most everyone else uses a crucible made of steel pipe for melting aluminum.Brass is another story.I use a silicon carbide crucible for red metals.
    If you just wish to melt aluminum initially,then maybe you should consider an electric furnace.Just my two cents worth.Good luck.