512,377 active members
3,244 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
Results 13 to 18 of 18
  1. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    448

    Re: parting off with a drill?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    Yep, I'm gonna get a really tiny one. My Kaiser thinbit holder has been super handy for various odd applications. Thousands of insert options
    I will have to look into that. I have an Iscar holder. I just use Thinbit for skinny grooves. Not sure what machine you have but I have a small overhead gang tooled Swiss that has very limited clearance between tool positions and the gap between the guide bushing and gang assembly. That eliminates a lot of insert tools.

  2. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    When you're making a prototype the cost factor of a second op would not be something to think about, it's when you then go on to a production mode that the time becomes a critical cost factor, and in this case you're going to source your production parts from a better labour cost source like China etc...…..why are you stressing out on a prototype problem?
    Ian.
    I don't plan on outsourcing any of my unique parts to China. I'm still in the prototyping stage and part of that is developing the manufacturing methods I'll be using. Only parts that will be outsourced are centerless ground shafting, bearings, timing belts.
    The product is a large performance RC helicopter. These models are commonly crashed and rebuilt so all replacement parts need to be available at all times. 2 of the common things that kill these helicopter brands are QC issues and delays in spare parts availability. If just 1 of the 50 or so unique parts gets delayed at any point, people are grounded.
    My particular model is a higher priced unique design with higher quality materials, also limited quantity which makes the China outsourcing even more of an issue to keep up with because of MOQ and lead times. Manufactured in the US is something else that's pretty much non existent in this hobby and something that many people appreciate. Its an expensive hobby and there's plenty of people willing to pay a premium for something unique. Sounds like a hard sell, but with just the few prototypes I have out there now, there's already people trying to throw money at me just to get in line for one.
    Went through the cam last night and as long as the parting op works out, I can crank these out continuous at 40 seconds each and 3 cents material, so I really don't see a need to put QC and timing in the hands of an overseas manufacturer.

  3. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I will have to look into that. I have an Iscar holder. I just use Thinbit for skinny grooves. Not sure what machine you have but I have a small overhead gang tooled Swiss that has very limited clearance between tool positions and the gap between the guide bushing and gang assembly. That eliminates a lot of insert tools.
    My machine is a completely custom mill turn with no sub spindle, gang tools next to milling head for turning. If i was grabbing with a sub during part off, I'm assuming there would be clearance issues with the thinbit, but since I'm just parting off the main with nothing in front of it, there's plenty of room. Insert edge is about flush with the edge of the thinbit holder, so it can get right up against the collet. I suppose if I was trying to part between 2 spindles with something tiny like this, I would orient the holder with the body of it towards main, grab with the sub, pull the part out and bar with it a ways to gain some clearance for the holder, then part off. If pulling the bar out the distance needed to give just enough stock for next part wasn't enough clearance for the holder, I would pull out further, part off, then push the bar back in before starting next part. Not sure how all that works out in a swiss, I know how crowded they are.

  4. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    448

    Re: parting off with a drill?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    The product is a large performance RC helicopter. These models are commonly crashed and rebuilt so all replacement parts need to be available at all times..
    Great business to be in. I had a friend who had a strange unjustified amount of confidence in his abilities yet he pretty much failed at any new task he tried. He had never even tried to use a remote control car or even a boat, yet he said he was going to buy a remote control helicopter. I told him to buy something easier and work his way up. He insisted it would be no problem. I swear that thing never got more than two feet off the ground before he crashed it. There was a hobby shop in town that sold parts for it, my friend who was on disability leave paid that shop daily visits. I think after about crash #50 he tossed that thing in the trash. I blame You Tube for his troubles. Too many people watch highly skilled people with a lot of experience do something and think "That looks easy, I can do that." They don't realize it is the operator's skill that makes it look easy, not that the task is easy.

  5. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Great business to be in. I had a friend who had a strange unjustified amount of confidence in his abilities yet he pretty much failed at any new task he tried. He had never even tried to use a remote control car or even a boat, yet he said he was going to buy a remote control helicopter. I told him to buy something easier and work his way up. He insisted it would be no problem. I swear that thing never got more than two feet off the ground before he crashed it. There was a hobby shop in town that sold parts for it, my friend who was on disability leave paid that shop daily visits. I think after about crash #50 he tossed that thing in the trash. I blame You Tube for his troubles. Too many people watch highly skilled people with a lot of experience do something and think "That looks easy, I can do that." They don't realize it is the operator's skill that makes it look easy, not that the task is easy.
    Ha! Yes it can be a very addictive hobby and a total money pit. Helicopters are by far the most challenging and the story of your friend is pretty much how it goes for all heli pilots, but some persevere and finally get the hang of it. Very rewarding feeling when you can finally fly a helicopter proficiently. I've been doing it about 5 years now and was flying on a team for a while.
    Designing my own model was originally just for fun. I had no intention of producing it, but after a couple of really skilled pro pilots tried it out, they said there was something very special about the way it flies. Very lightweight design with specific weight distribution. So now I'm gonna try manufacturing it in small quantities. Even best case scenario, it will never be a big money maker, but possibly some side income and a way to grow a cnc business. I have a day job with no intention of quitting. Thus us a side project that I really enjoy doing.

  6. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    632

    Re: parting off with a drill?

    We also don't have subspindles on our lathes so sometimes the cut off can be tricky especially on small parts.
    We will program the cut off to almost cut it off then turn off the coolant for the last .010 or so and reduce the feed and the part will drop into the parts catcher. Almost always.
    Like others have said, angled sharp thin cut off blade.

Page 2 of 2 12

Similar Threads

  1. How to drill a deep hole using U drill on floor boring machine
    By SatishNaik in forum News Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 12:58 PM
  2. Spade Drill Does Work in Aluminum; Big Hole Boring on Drill Press.
    By Geof in forum General MetalWork Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
  3. fanuc drill mate / robo drill post for enroute?
    By goodplastics in forum Post Processor Files
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 11:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •