585,670 active members*
4,448 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is this a good PC setup for Mach3 ?

Need urgent help on this please... (I've posted in this section as it's specific to how Mach3 will run on this PC setup).

I have been experimenting with Mach 3 on a laptop (P3 550Mhz) for a couple days now and it works well, but I know my speed is significantly limited by the laptop. So I have been looking for a dedicated PC for this machine, and today just took the plunge on a basic setup because I thought the price was decent...

- MSI K9MM-V motherboard, Micro-ATX, 1000Mhz FSB, Lan, USB, Video, Audio, etc.
    - AMD Athlon64 3000+ Processor running at 1.8GHz.
    - 1GB DDR2 RAM.

My intention is to run this headless and connect it to my local network, then remotely connect to it from another PC or laptop in the house to control it, so I don't care about the video capabilities etc of the mobo. I'll actually disable the video on the mobo. I'll be running Win2k if it works on this mobo.

Is this workable? Or will Mach 3 complain about the missing video? Also, I want to get the max speed possible from this setup, which I understand is 45kHz. Can I get it with this setup?

I can return the mobo, CPU, ram, etc if I don't open it, so I want to find out asap. Other option I looked at is a Biostar mobo with Celeron 2.5Ghz and 1GB ram from newegg (mail order) for about the same price.

Opinions?... please

Thanks,
    -Neil.

You'll probably want a little faster processor if you want to run at 45Khz. And unless someone is running the exact same setup, I doubt you'll get many replies on this.

Although it's much better than it used to be, Mach3 can be a bit picky, and it's very hard to say what will work and what won't without trying it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry, you seem to be responding to all my posts... thanks! :-)
    Do you think the Celeron 2.5Ghz would be better then?
    I was hoping others with similar-ish setups would repond with what speeds they're getting. The problem is that once I open this mobo, it's un-returnable.

Another option, I just found, at a lower price is this...
    - ECS K8M800 Micro ATX, socket 754
    - Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.2Ghz.
    - 1GB of DDR-400 Ram

Shouldn't this be faster than the MSI w/1.8Ghz above (the MSI uses DDR2-667 though)?

Thanks again,
    -Neil.