584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 101 of 460 519199100101102103111151201
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 9197
    Hi Mariss,
    Would you allow me to ask you an electronic question? Spouse is almost deaf and he has these headphones and they really help him hear the TV. Unfortunately there is no balance control. Most people lose hearing unequally in their ears. Most headphones assume equal hearing loss in each ear. Ergo, no balance control. Could you recommend a pot that would work as a balance control for a pair of headphones?
    Thanks,
    xyzdonna

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    By the Associated Press
    "The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consul Ifft, at Bergen, Norway.
    ."

Whoa!! Scary!! Unprecedented!!!
    Yeah, real scary. Real unprecedented. From November 2, 1922
    Dear fizzissist,

Thank-you so much for that. I break into laughter on the way to work. No higher praise.

Best wishes,
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by xyzdonna View Post
    Hi jhowelb,
    I hope you're feeling better. You are missed, nobody does as good a job of putting me down as you do. Get well soon, I miss your insults!
    Take care,
    xyzdonna
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images...es/devious.gif
    :devious:
    PS: I've learned to use the little emoticons, aren't you proud of me!
    Finally something familiar enough to give me hope that I haven't lost my mind.

Going to try again to take myself to the Doctor tomorrow. Last time the couldn't accommodate me with all this lung edema and still 102*temp. Should be folks right up your alley, National Health Services.

If they won't see me tomorrow I'll have my wife take me to the County hospital tomorrow night when she gets back form Sacramento.

That should be a good enough glimpse of personal misery to warm the heart of any liberal.
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

............ Most headphones assume equal hearing loss in each ear. Ergo, no balance control. Could you recommend a pot that would work as a balance control for a pair of headphones?
    Thanks,
    xyzdonna
    I'll check into a cheap (AND good) box you can plug the headphones into....till then, if you're into building your own, this might help with some of the technical issues.

http://sound.westhost.com/project01.htm#top

You're right, our hearing isn't equal, and hearing failure as we (me included) age not only isn't linear, it fails at a higher rate/octave as you get older in the higher frequencies. (yeah, I know that's grammatically redundant)

These guys have some good ideas for headphones along with some pretty simple circuitry...
    http://www.headwize.com/faqs.htm#access

If you're considering hooking the headphones up directly to speaker outputs on an amp....don't. Here's some guys discussing why it's problematic....
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...2&#entry310062

One solution might be to run a second TV audio feed into a dedicated amp/receiver where you can control the balance, and without loudspeakers, no one will care. He can crank it up and EQ it all he wants without driving the dog nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    Finally something familiar enough to give me hope that I haven't lost my mind.

Going to try again to take myself to the Doctor tomorrow. Last time the couldn't accommodate me with all this lung edema and still 102*temp. Should be folks right up your alley, National Health Services.

If they won't see me tomorrow I'll have my wife take me to the County hospital tomorrow night when she gets back form Sacramento.

That should be a good enough glimpse of personal misery to warm the heart of any liberal.
    Hi jhowelb,
    I am so sorry, must be the flu. Drink lots of liquids, chicken soup and bed rest. There is an ativirul drug "amantadine", for influenza A type flu virus. I've use it in the past with good results. I wish I had told you about it before, it's best used at the first signs of virus. Do get well soon, you are missed!
    Take care,
    xyzdonna
    PS: You need a flu shot every year, with your being on oxygen!

I'll check into a cheap (AND good) box you can plug the headphones into....till then, if you're into building your own, this might help with some of the technical issues.

http://sound.westhost.com/project01.htm#top

You're right, our hearing isn't equal, and hearing failure as we (me included) age not only isn't linear, it fails at a higher rate/octave as you get older in the higher frequencies. (yeah, I know that's grammatically redundant)

These guys have some good ideas for headphones along with some pretty simple circuitry...
    http://www.headwize.com/faqs.htm#access

If you're considering hooking the headphones up directly to speaker outputs on an amp....don't. Here's some guys discussing why it's problematic....
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...2&#entry310062

One solution might be to run a second TV audio feed into a dedicated amp/receiver where you can control the balance, and without loudspeakers, no one will care. He can crank it up and EQ it all he wants without driving the dog nuts.
    Thanks fizzissist,
    Very helpful solutions. I'm researching them now.
    I do appreciated your help,
    Take care,
    xyzdonna

Quebec children get holiday as snow piles on roofs
    Reuters - Tuesday, March 18

MONTREAL - Several dozen schools were expected to remain shut this week in the Canadian province of Quebec over fears their roofs may collapse under the weight of near record amounts of snow, officials said on Monday.

Administrators at Montreal's French-language school board said only 73 of the roughly 200 schools shut since Friday will reopen on Tuesday.

Some of the others may not open until after the four-day Easter weekend, which begins Friday.

"The objective, of course, is to open the maximum of schools but at the same time to proceed carefully because we want there to be zero risk," school board president Diane de Courcy told reporters.

All told, 90,000 students have been out of school in the Montreal area since Friday.

Primary and secondary schools and adult education centres will reopen only once their roofs have been cleared of snow and the buildings have been inspected for structural safety, de Courcy said.

Four people have been killed in the mainly French-speaking Canadian province of 7.6 million after roofs collapsed under the weight of accumulated snow, though none of the incidents involved schools.

In Shawinigan, about 150 kilometres northeast of Montreal, a 55-year-old man died on Saturday when the roof of his home collapsed.

Three women were killed in Morin Heights north of Montreal last Wednesday when part of a food warehouse roof caved in under the weight of snow.

To date, some 350 centimetres of snow has fallen in the Montreal area, approaching a record level of 383 centimetres set in 1971.

Despite periods of rain over the past few weeks, some school roofs have three meters of accumulated snow, school board officials said. About 300 workers were using shovels, scoops and even chainsaws to cut through the snow and ice.

There has been even more snowfall in Quebec's outlying areas. The Mont Orford ski hill about 120 kilometres to the east of Montreal has had 527 centimetres of snowfall since the beginning of the season.
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    Quebec children get holiday as snow piles on roofs
    Reuters - Tuesday, March 18

To date, some 350 centimetres of snow has fallen in the Montreal area, approaching a record level of 383 centimetres set in 1971.
    hmmm....383cm in '71 (when we were entering into an ice age)....350cm in '08

Could this be well within the realm of natural variability???

Of course! Anything Mother Nature does is within the range of natural variability....by definition.

Even if it is caused by human activity this holds true because we are children of nature. Unless you believe Erik von Daniken and think we are all space aliens.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Absolutely, which leaves "control" meaning control of peoples FINANCES!

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Of course! Anything Mother Nature does is within the range of natural variability....by definition.

Even if it is caused by human activity this holds true because we are children of nature. Unless you believe Erik von Daniken and think we are all space aliens.
    Or LRon H...Whose followers are mostly "spaced aliens".

Hi Mariss,
    Would you allow me to ask you an electronic question? Spouse is almost deaf and he has these headphones and they really help him hear the TV. Unfortunately there is no balance control. Most people lose hearing unequally in their ears. Most headphones assume equal hearing loss in each ear. Ergo, no balance control. Could you recommend a pot that would work as a balance control for a pair of headphones?
    Thanks,
    xyzdonna
    xyzdonna,

I just now saw your question. The very simplest solution would require 1 trimpot, 1 stereo output jack socket and 1 stereo input jack.

Identify which channel (Left or Right) the better ear gets. Get a 100 Ohm trimpot, take the CCW end of the pot to that channel output, the CW end of the pot to GND and the pot wiper to that channel's output jack socket. The other channel (for the impaired ear) connects directly from the input to the output jack.

The idea is to attenuate the sound (turning the trimpot) going to the good ear so that its level matches the perceived level on the bad ear.

Because hearing loss isn't equal with frequency (most people still hear bass OK but have real trouble with treble), a graphic equalizer with an amplifier on the bad ear is probably a more satisfactory solution.

Mariss

Xyz

Generally I believe its unequal due to
    A. wind noise ,ear by open window while driving
    B.Rifle report
    c. I'm sure there has to be others I just know the first two

evil answer:devious:
    has he been checked by a doctor ? :idea:
    Or like us, perhaps ,he is ignoring you.

And saying its uneven is to throw you off.:rainfro:
    Dang I'd still be married if I thought about special headphones. :wee:

Sorry
    had to
    those darn voices
    don't cha know.:argue:
    They told me post or no sleep :stickpoke

Peace (group)
    or pieces (flame2)

:batave:bat:

I'm gonna sway from dreaming of setting up my hot-rodded Mac 60's, Paracas pre-amp, Empire 598 MkIII with Stanton 681EE, and doing some critical listening as a result of the audio bent this thread has taken....and post something ever so slightly on-topic from Michael Crichton I just found out about (compliments of an actual atmospheric physicist).

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had.
    Let's be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus. There is no such thing as consensus science. If it's consensus, it isn't science. If it's science, it isn't consensus. Period.

--Michael Crichton

Consensus is the business of politics.
    Dear fizzissist,

Errrgh? Not in the last couple of hundred posts here...

Best wishes,

Martin

If you scroll down the page you will find a list of "similar threads".

Here are two from the list: