585,737 active members*
4,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 450 of 460 350400440448449450451452
Results 8,981 to 9,000 of 9197
    There are apparently a number of fizzycists.... Some of whom I appear to agree with.... hmmmmm.....

Global-warming ?proof? is evaporating | New York Post

Global-warming ‘proof’ is evaporating

The 2013 hurricane season just ended as one of the five quietest years since 1960. But don’t expect anyone who pointed to last year’s hurricanes as “proof” of the need to act against global warming to apologize; the warmists don’t work that way.

Warmist claims of a severe increase in hurricane activity go back to 2005 and Hurricane Katrina. The cover of Al Gore’s 2009 book, “Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis,” even features a satellite image of the globe with four major hurricanes superimposed.

Yet the evidence to the contrary was there all along. .............................
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    There are apparently a number of fizzycists.... Some of whom I appear to agree with.... hmmmmm.....
    I have looked and looked for the 'real' fizzycists..no avail... I originally ran across him in one of those times when one clicks on a link, read a few articles and click on another 'suggested link' and so on. I went through multiple links without paying much attention other than some link at any given time sparked an interest...sort of blind surfing.

I'm sorry, I have failed you in my search... I will make penance tonight, in the dark, embarrassed to allow anyone to see my misgivings......

Quote Originally Posted by dufas View Post
    I'm sorry, I have failed you in my search... I will make penance tonight, in the dark, embarrassed to allow anyone to see my misgivings......
    I don't know if you have, as required, read my penance requirement outline. I'll assume you have not, given your statement.

Section 3.b. states quite clearly that cleansing is a necessary requisite to preparing for penance. Said cleansing should be with a solution containing no less than 3.2% alcohol with CO2 in solution. Domestic or foreign origin is acceptable. In the absence of the preferred cleansing solution a simple solution containing 30% or greater alcohol content that has been aged for no less than 12 years will suffice.

Section 3.c. continues by laying out the penance procedures which involve taking internally a round flat baked dough covered with a mix of dairy product and lycopersicon berry. If limited availability precludes this, BBQ spare ribs will do nicely.

--- If these other miscreants going by "fizzycist" or anything close to the derivation were individuals of merit, they'd be here now, celebrating their recognition. As it is, for now, you're stuck with me.

I don't know if you have, as required, read my penance requirement outline. I'll assume you have not, given your statement.

Section 3.b. states quite clearly that cleansing is a necessary requisite to preparing for penance. Said cleansing should be with a solution containing no less than 3.2% alcohol with CO2 in solution. Domestic or foreign origin is acceptable. In the absence of the preferred cleansing solution a simple solution containing 30% or greater alcohol content that has been aged for no less than 12 years will suffice.

Section 3.c. continues by laying out the penance procedures which involve taking internally a round flat baked dough covered with a mix of dairy product and lycopersicon berry. If limited availability precludes this, BBQ spare ribs will do nicely.

--- If these other miscreants going by "fizzycist" or anything close to the derivation were individuals of merit, they'd be here now, celebrating their recognition. As it is, for now, you're stuck with me.
    Being 'stuck' with you is not such a bad thing.....but, I never received my penance manual. If you are going to chastise me, at least get the manuals out to everybody so that we know where we stand, sit, or lay, or whatever... In order to read something as important as the 'Manual', one has to have access to it, in my humble opinion...... Even though it wasn't there, I did try to read it, but to no avail, the words just wasn't there.......

Would hotdogs or polish sausage suffice?? I promise that they will be BBQed...honest....

SNOW HITS CAIRO, FIRST IN 100 YEARS

CAIRO -- Snow coated domes and minarets Friday as a record Mideast storm compounded the suffering of Syrian refugees, sent the Israeli army scrambling to dig out stranded motorists and gave Egyptians a rare glimpse of snow in their capital.

Nearly three feet of snow closed roads in and out of Jerusalem, which is set in high hills, and thousands in and around the city were left without power. Israeli soldiers and police rescued hundreds trapped in their cars by snow and ice. In the West Bank, the branches of olive trees groaned under the weight of snow.

In Cairo, where local news reports said the last recorded snowfall was more than 100 years ago, children in outlying districts capered in white-covered streets, and adults marveled at the sight, tweeting pictures of snow-dusted parks and squares. In other parts of the city, rain and hail rocketed down.

Snow closes roads in Israel, is a source of wonder in Cairo - latimes.com
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

From the Weather-is-not-Climate department.....
    Since it hasn't snowed in 100yrs, and the climate has been warming, this is proof that the climate is changing.
    (howz that for logic??)

Study: Earth was warmer in Roman, Medieval times

If you think the Earth is hot now, try wearing plate armor in the Middle Ages.

A Swedish study found that the planet was warmer in ancient Roman times and the Middle Ages than today, challenging the mainstream idea that man-made greenhouse gas emissions are the main drivers of global warming.

The study, by scientist Leif Kullman, analyzed 455 “radiocarbon-dated mega-fossils” in the Scandes mountains and found that tree lines for different species of trees were higher during the Roman and Medieval times than they are today. Not only that, but the temperatures were higher as well.

“Historical tree line positions are viewed in relation to early 21st century equivalents, and indicate that tree line elevations attained during the past century and in association with modern climate warming are highly unusual, but not unique, phenomena from the perspective of the past 4,800 years,” Kullman found. “Prior to that, the pine tree line (and summer temperatures) was consistently higher than present, as it was also during the Roman and Medieval periods.”

Kullman also wrote that “summer temperatures during the early Holocene thermal optimum may have been 2.3°C higher than present.” The “Holocene thermal optimum was a warm period that occurred between 9,000 and 5,000 years ago. This warm period was followed by a gradual cooling period.”

According to Kullman, the temperature spikes were during the Roman and Medieval warming periods “were succeeded by a distinct tree line/temperature dip, broadly corresponding to the Little Ice Age.”

For many years now, there was an alleged scientific consensus that the Earth was warming due to humans releasing greenhouse gases into the air — primarily through burning fossil fuels. However, temperatures stopped rising after 1998, leaving scientists scrambling to find an explanation to the hiatus in warming.

Increasingly, scientists are looking away from human causes and looking at solar activity and natural climate variability for explanations of why the planet warms and cools.

Read more: Study: Earth was warmer in Roman, Medieval Times | The Daily Caller

But politicians are looking for a new tax!
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    Study: Earth was warmer in Roman, Medieval times

If you think the Earth is hot now, try wearing plate armor in the Middle Ages.

A Swedish study found that the planet was warmer in ancient Roman times and the Middle Ages than today, challenging the mainstream idea that man-made greenhouse gas emissions are the main drivers of global warming....
    This is the same finding we showed in this thread several hundred posts back. Using the ice core data it was clear that the earth went through 150 to 250 year warm periods about every 1000 years (+/- 200 or so). Further the warm periods actually matched up with historical events that would have required a lot of spare labor, i.e. periods when warm temperatures made farming more productive. Using the historical names there was a chart that showed a warm period when Egyptians used labor to build the pyramids, a warm period when the Romans used soldiers to conquer the western world, a warm period when the medievals used scholars to end the dark ages and finally the current warm period.

I did not go back to find the chart so the numbers posted represent recollections.

Tom

The article is dated 1:02 AM 12/13/2013....whether the finding as been posted before is irrelevant.

Reddit bans comments from climate-change skeptics | The Daily Caller

Reddit bans comments from global warming skeptics

A content editor on Reddit’s science forum wrote Monday that the site has banned climate-change skeptics, and asks why more news outlets haven’t done the same.

“About a year ago, we moderators became increasingly stringent with deniers,” Reddit content editor Nathan Allen wrote in grist. “When a potentially controversial submission was posted, a warning would be issued stating the rules for comments (most importantly that your comment isn’t a conspiracy theory) and advising that further violations of the rules could result in the commenter being banned from the forum.”

Allen explains that climate change became an ironically heated topic among commenters on Reddit’s science forum, /r/science, which he described as “a window into the Ivory Tower” for “non-scientists” to connect with experts like himself.

Climate-change believers accused skeptics of being bought out by “big oil,” while the skeptics accused believers of being on the take from “big green.”

Despite the provocative comments on both sides described by Allen, and Reddit’s reputation as “passionately dedicated to free speech,” the self-described “PhD chemist” decided it was time for the skeptics to go.

“After some time interacting with the regular denier posters, it became clear that they could not or would not improve their demeanor,” Allen said. “As a scientist myself, it became clear to me that the contrarians were not capable of providing the science to support their ‘skepticism’ on climate change.”

As a result, about half a dozen content editors now practice “proactive moderation” on the science forum’s reported 4-million subscribers.

“As moderators responsible for what millions of people see, we felt that to allow a handful of commenters to so purposefully mislead our audience was simply immoral,” Allen said of the audience he previously described as “mainly academic.”

He later describes the same audience as “‘internet trolls’ looking to have a little fun upsetting people. Such users are practically the norm on Reddit.”

Allen then expressed surprise that removing an entire faction of commenters “resulted in a change in the culture within the comments. Where once there were personal insults and bitter accusations, there is now discussion of the relevant aspects of the research.”

“While we won’t claim /r/science is perfect, users seem happy with the changes made,” Allen said.

Read more: Reddit bans comments from climate-change skeptics | The Daily Caller

Of course, if you accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being a heretic and then remove them from the discussion what remains is consensus. Similar tactics is to say "That has already been said" or "previously covered arguments are disqualified" or "Only original thought is accepted" because those also can also be expanded to exclude disagreement.

The simple fact is that the AGW argument is fading because other liberal schemes ave bled the corpse nearly dry....death is post eminent.

I went to Reddit for the first time ever, after reading about this flap.... went to the Science section, and low and behold....
    What do I find? An article about the very issue at the core of the climate change skeptic's argument....

The Vast Majority of Raw Data From Old Scientific Studies May Now Be Missing | Surprising Science

Apparently Reddit hasn't made the connection ... yet.

2013 Will Finish One Of The Ten Coldest Years In US History, With The Largest Drop In Temperature | Real Science

2013 Will Finish One Of The Ten Coldest Years In US History, With The Largest Drop In Temperature
    Posted on December 20, 2013 by stevengoddard

Before NASA and NOAA start tampering with the data, 2013 is one of the ten coldest years in the US since 1895, and has had the largest year over year decline on record.

NOAA of course won’t talk about this, and will massively tamper with the data before releasing it.

Seven global warming alarmist setbacks in 2013 | The Daily Caller

The top seven global warming alarmist setbacks in 2013

Hold your champagne glasses high this holiday season, because the end of 2013 marks the 17th year without global warming.

This year has been trying for climate scientists and environmentalists who have been trying hard to explain away the 17-year hiatus in global warming and link “extreme weather” to rising greenhouse gas emissions — despite strong evidence to the contrary. There has been a breakdown in the manmade global warming consensus, and some even argue we are headed for an ice age.

In honor of the 17th year without global warming, The Daily Caller News Foundation has put together seven setbacks for global warming alarm ism.

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    The article is dated 1:02 AM 12/13/2013....whether the finding as been posted before is irrelevant.
    I was not saying the article had been posted previously. I assumed it was a new article. I was commenting that using other source material some of our contributors (I think it was fissist but there may have been others) had shown the same climate pattern. In general when a line of thought is postulated and that idea or theme is supported by multiple independent pieces of evidence, the thought line must be given more credence.

If you thought I was criticizing you for posting old material I apologize for conveying that impression. (a) The view that warm spells drive CO2 levels rather than CO2 levels driving warm spells makes sense. (b) The last three warm spells lasted 150 to 200 years then ended abruptly, and this one started about 1850. If you accept points a and b then you almost have to believe that this warm spell will end abruptly like the last three and probably within a decade or two. Your article supported my belief and it gave me confidence that some experts may be coming around to the idea that the 'A' in AGW is false. I have no idea what could be the driving force for this previously unrecognized periodic event but that should be a suitable PhD thesis for many youngsters. I probably can't live long enough to see the answer.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    . I have no idea what could be the driving force for this previously unrecognized periodic event but that should be a suitable PhD thesis for many youngsters.
    Tom
    A PhD thesis is most often done as part of a grant obtained by a principle investigator (PI). The grant money comes after application under some premise of need to prove a theory, and the student does "pioneering" empirical research on the theory which proves, or disproves it. Invariably, the result is that ..'more study is needed'.

This is one reason that AGW-supporting grants are so easily obtained, it's popular so the money comes easily. Try and get money to specifically disprove an AGW theory and ... good luck getting your grant. PI's know this, so any disproving has to be done by cleverly masking the real goal. But since academia is such a cutthroat business (and yes, it IS a business!), research faculty are keenly motivated to follow the money and not risk careers. Even tenured faculty seldom buck the trend. It's called 'publish or perish'.

At my local university the typical research budget brings in around $100Mil a year. Since around 40-44% of that goes into the general fund, it's a big deal.

.... here's a dated list of publications Michael Mann was a PI or co-PI on... Michael Mann's Grant Funding

Not necessarily true across the board for all schools and all grants, but the PI can make often 5% of the grant face-value as income, and hire who he likes to work on the project. Tidy little side income stream, eh? Couple that with speaking engagement income, and you can easily pull down a $1/4Mil income. Most I worked with were in the $120-200k/yr range.

Most I worked with who were not fully in agreement with the AGW camp are also struggling. Not because of the quality of their science, nor the quality of their teaching, but because of the difficulty they have in bringing in money. The big money, that is.

AGW=AGBucks

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    . I have no idea what could be the driving force for this previously unrecognized periodic event but that should be a suitable PhD thesis for many youngsters.
    Tom
    A PhD thesis is most often done as part of a grant obtained by a principle investigator (PI). The grant money comes after application under some premise of need to prove a theory, and the student does "pioneering" empirical research on the theory which proves, or disproves it. Invariably, the result is that ..'more study is needed'.

This is one reason that AGW-supporting grants are so easily obtained, it's popular so the money comes easily. Try and get money to specifically disprove an AGW theory and ... good luck getting your grant. PI's know this, so any disproving has to be done by cleverly masking the real goal. But since academia is such a cutthroat business (and yes, it IS a business!), research faculty are keenly motivated to follow the money and not risk careers. Even tenured faculty seldom buck the trend. It's called 'publish or perish'.

At my local university the typical research budget brings in around $100Mil a year. Since around 40-44% of that goes into the general fund, it's a big deal.

.... here's a dated list of publications Michael Mann was a PI or co-PI on... Michael Mann's Grant Funding

Not necessarily true across the board for all schools and all grants, but the PI can make often 5% of the grant face-value as income, and hire who he likes to work on the project. Tidy little side income stream, eh? Couple that with speaking engagement income, and you can easily pull down a $1/4Mil income. Most I worked with were in the $120-200k/yr range.

Most I worked with who were not fully in agreement with the AGW camp are also struggling. Not because of the quality of their science, nor the quality of their teaching, but because of the difficulty they have in bringing in money. The big money, that is.

Having been a PI for years during my career (but its not nearly so personally profitable when you work for industry), I understand what you said and agree that you presented a correct short term view. But its been my experience that over a decade or two things change. The part of the wheel that was down in the mud and ignored ends up on top and then successful research proposals must address the new top. My comment was taking that view. Suppose the warm period ended last year. Inertia will keep the global warming advocates funded based on comments to the effect that all climate is a 'noisy function and we are just seeing a temporary temperature dip'. But that argument has perhaps 5 years useful life after which people and politicians will start asking 'What happened?'. Then I think the PI's of the world will advance to seeking funds to understand what really is the driving function for periodic warming. That future was what my comment predicted, but it was a prediction and as such cannot be backed up with solid statistics. Further past history does not indicate if the current warming should have ended last year or if it will continue for 40 more years. Logically, we won't know until it outlasts the previous warm spells if this one is different.

Tom

Page 450 of 460 350400440448449450451452