584,805 active members*
5,131 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > ATC Spindle Assembly using a Chinese BT30 Spindle Cartridge
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: ATC Spindle Assembly using a Chinese BT30 Spindle Cartridge

Hi,

The seller i used was: https://m.aliexpress.com/store/store...amp.store-card

Communication was really good and the item was shipped pretty fast. I also got a really good deal, basically getting the 12000rpm version for the price of the 8000rpm version. However i would ask them to ensure its packaged well as mine was loosely placed in a cardboard box, i was pretty suprised it was undamaged when i unpacked it.

I haven't actually tried the spindle yet, build quality is very good but can't comment on accuracy just yet.

Progress has been pretty slow on the build however i have started machining the spindle bracket. I had to machine up some softjaws on the cnc to mount the bracket to my lathe. Was quite surprised with the tolerances considering i was using the 2.2kw Chinese spindle when machining.

I also filled the area that experienced some shrinkage during casting. Just a mixture of epoxy and fine cast iron shavings

Once i started machining the bracket i quickly realised i wasn't happy with the lathes accuracy, so i got the lathe bed re-ground (which cost alot less than i expected). Hoping to have the lathe resetup and resume machining the bracket soon.

Hoping everyone is keeping safe during these times!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Progress has been pretty slow on this project for the last couple of weeks.

I did manage to find some time to machine the Ali plate on the cnc. The slots that allow the air to flow from the cooling fan to the underside of the plate were a bit of a pain. Had to switch to a single flute as the chips kept welding to the 2 flute cutter.

The 2.2kw Chinese spindle also sounds a bit dodgy, almost like there is grit in the bearings but only on startup, cuts in the Ali sound fine though and are really quiet

I am also having a few issue with accuracy. Dimensions in the x axis seems to be within 10-20 microns but the y axis is sometimes 0.1 to 0.3mm out! (its not consistent throughout the part) At the moment i suspect it may be because of servo tuning. The machine is not exactly rigid and i can move the spindle a few 10s of microns if i push hard on it but the DTI always goes back to zero.

The servos are not tuned and im using a alot of adaptive passes which accelerate and deccerete the stages constantly. Im thinking the servos are not positioning well enough given the acceleration profiles. Unfortunately as they are cheap Chinese servos ive been putting off tuning them as its fairly involved.

Might have to bite the bullet and tune them or at the least reduce the acceleration considerably and see it it helps.

Anyone had any experience with the Chinese 2.2kw spindle bearings sounding dodgy or with Chinese servos?

The tape holding the part would be where i would look first for movement.

Servo tuning seems unlikely, as that's only really an issue is motion, so a straight line will have one axis static and tuning shouldn't matter (unless its so bad that the cutting force can just push the motor).

Yeah thats a good shout. I used the masking tape and super glue method. Couldn't fit this part on the vice i had.

If i have to use this work holding technique again might try and put a DTI somewhere on the work part/holding fixture and see if i can measure any deflection.

Adding some blocking around the part to stop lateral movement would make a big difference.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Progress has been pretty slow on this project for a while. But managed to get some time today to come up with a solution for my pulleys.

I wanted to use a 56:18 gear combo to get a slightly higher top end on the spindle. However as you've guessed they don't maybe 18 teeth (8M) pulleys to fit a 35mm spindle shaft.

So I've come up with this solution... Cnc is doing well machining up up the parts but honestly cannot wait for a new spindle system.....

Did some quick calcs to see if the aluminium studs on that apadotor plate will hold and things check out however I suspect fatigue will cause a failure over time.

Suprised how well things fitted, nice snug fit, fairly happy.

Look forward to those vibration problems I am inevitably going to have.

I hope you'll record a video of the new spindle in action. I intend to use a bt30 spindle in the future as well and I would love to see it milling some aluminium and maybe even steel perhaps.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 12