586,022 active members*
3,638 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 39 of 49 293738394041

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Yes. A couple of ways to do it. 1) Create your raw stock model and bring it into your part model as a component. 2) In the part model create a new body that is the raw stock shape.

Then once you are doing your setup in the stock tab you will select the raw stock body or component.

What material is used to make the skateboard?

Hi Loren - Thanks will try that today. The mould is made from MDF the deck is a laminate of 7x1.4mm maple. There is a top and bottom mould and the stack is placed in a 20T press. This board is a long board I think. I tried to get the Maker to learn CAD but he's resistant. I seem to become a CAD trainer in some projects. Fusion drawings are pretty basic, my drawing quality will go backward until they improve it. Peter

Hi Loren - That works, I made the stock as a component. But I'm not confident with the toolpaths yet. May do this in mecsoft as its a paid job. But learning all the time.... The toolpaths seem to be very long in time so far. Keep looking at the settings and adjusting here and there. Will sort it eventually, I'm still at level zero on the F360 CAM learning curve.... Peter

I made the mould geometry in F360 from a 3D wireframe. I'm quite pleased with how F360 does this. Similar to Rhino but parametric which saves so much time and similar to alibre but the 3D curves are created in one sketch vs individual sketches and the result seems to be more robust. Surface quality is very good... Bodes well for my machine part moulds....

I would start out with a 3D adaptive. Leave .040"-.060" stock. Follow that up with a Scallop finish uing "Rest Machining" Select from previous operation. For me I use a flat nose cutter on the roughing step down of .250" and fine step down of .060" Optimal load .060" This is using a 1/4" 2 flute cutter. This finish with a 1/4" ball nose. If I have areas that don't Scallop doesn't reach real well I will use Flow tool path.

A quick video of that kind of strategy on parts I cut on my old machine.

Hi Loren my plan was - 1) Use a 18mm flat router bit for roughing (adaptive) 2mm allowance (0.080") then use a 12mm radius router bit for further roughing (rest) say 1mm offset with large scallop. Then final cut at 0.2mm scallop with 12mm radius tool....... The trick is to machine the ends first to get the surface to rough parallel to final surface. Will need to figure out how to confine path to board ends... easy in mecsoft mystery in fusion so far... Will keep working at it... Peter

Hi Peter, One way to gain some control of tool paths is to create 2d sketch geometry to create boundaries for tool paths like 3D adaptive. You can also drive or limit 2D tool paths with sketch geometry.

Hi Loren - OK I'll check that out thanks. Peter

Its been a battle communicating geometry with the Maker. He supplies free hand sketches with some dims but can't interrogate the files in Fusion so he exports a fusion file and looks at it Blender. Even though Blender builds nurb surfaces it can't export them!! It exports poor quality stl or obj files which is a nuisance...

Finally found a way to get on the same page. I export the Fusion mould model to dxf then import that to Rhino so I get the sketch lines and solids. In Rhino I can dim the wireframe in iso view so then his sketches can be compared to the Fusion wireframe. Getting there, I think were close. Now we are talking about spring back, so have added 2mm around the edge to account for that..... Peter

Evening All - I decided to try to redeem the bee boards. So today I scrapped out the sticky stuff. More to go. Then I shall pocket and insert some cedar into the space and if that looks good I shall engrave the bees and get back on track. The other option was to cut them down to smaller boards and bin the embarrassment. But we shall see how this goes. Being food boards I can't use nasty chemicals on it to clean it up as the chemicals will stay in the wood for a long time... See how we go. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Board 1.jpg   Board 2.jpg  

Morning All - Just realised this skateboard mould will make 3 tonnes of MDF dust, better get the dust extraction working... Peter

MDF does make a real mess!

Morning all - This morning I did more epoxy scraping and as these are to be prizes and food objects I decided redemption was out. So they will be cut into smaller boards and the prizes will be started again. I also fitted up some ducting to deal with some of the dust. Its not the super dooper NACA inlet I wanted but its a start. Peter

Hi All - I chopped the boards so that's done. Start again. On another note I have mentioned the workshop washroom through this thread. Well all going well it gets signed off tomorrow and the shed is then "officially" complete. So I first mentioned the washroom 1 year 3 months ago. With the pandemic (no trades or materials plus border closed) then the flood it has drawn out this build!! So a door and line the shower and I''ll have time for more machines at last... \

So vote on the door design!! Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door.jpg  

I like #5 the duck - Peter

The duck is a classic, clean and understated... A dinosaur is basically a very early iteration of a duck, I would do the dinosaur

#5 Duck 1
    #10 dinosaurus 1
    #3 tools 1

Morning all - Here's the finished Crete sign... off to work on Frankie. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crete.jpg  

Hi All - Decided to catch up on the bee engraving and got it done. The edges were a bit fuzzier then normal and I noticed a slight kick around one corner but it got done. I then set up a small piece from the bee cut up to turn into a coaster and the spindle sort of buzzed then the tool feel off. Classic beach striations marks with an ultimate fracture zone. So I'll have to rig my trimmer up to Scoot until a 1.5kW arrives.... damn and an order just left Shanghai... I'll wait for Frankies ballscrews to add to. I didn't order the screws as the drawing for the aluminium motor mounts was incomplete so will measure them up and and then order ballscrews to suit length. Plus the new spindle... I don't have a clamp for the trimmer so will need to make one.... Tomorrow on Brevis... Peter

Sorry for your woes Peter... Has the spindle worked very hard in its life? I havn't seen a lot of shaft failures like that on the forum - I would expect it with large diameter heavy cutters that are perhaps out of balance? Thankfully the shaft looks pretty hard, if the failure had been more ductile it could have tossed a collet at you.

Crete sign looks good.

Hi Luke - The spindle was $125USD including clamp and power supply so its a cheapy. I haven't looked at the log yet to see if I can figure its life. But I do give it a hard time and have bent the shaft twice and straightened it twice so (bumped a fixture in a rapid, I have since changed my safe height strategy. UCCNC when not in program can go to different height ) so I'd expect something to give. I thought the bearings would go before the shaft but the bending probably killed it. Its not much more for an AC 1.5kW ER16 so I'm going there. Peter

That makes perfect sense. Hope the er16 lands quickly

Page 39 of 49 293738394041