585,763 active members*
4,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 42 of 49 324041424344

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Evening all - Today I finished the epoxy inlays of the Bees. If you remember the epoxy did not set last time. I got some more pigment and did a test the other day. I poured the Bees today and all went to plan. I suspect the old pigment was very old and something had happened to it. The new pigment did exactly as I expected on the overloaded sample, which was to decrease the gel time not inhibit it. So get new universal pigment often!! I started setting up the top mould checking clamping arrangements and top and bottom height, tool lengths and clearances. My new adaptor plate was supposed to arrive today according to the tracking info but alas & alack no show. As soon as its here I can install the new spindle and get into the mould proper.... I'm happy the Bee job is now out of the way... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bees 1.jpg   Bees 2.jpg   Mould setup 1.jpg  

Evening All - Been a busy day in the workshop supervising Matt and his build plus finishing the skateboard mould blanks. I've made a downdraft scoop for dust collection in Scoot seems to work but we shall see how it goes with MDF. Left to do is dowel the bottom ply and the blanks are ready to rock and roll. Tomorrow's job is to set up the new spindle on Scoot. We turned on Matts power supplies today with no smoke escaping and all the sockets working YEH!! he's very excited about the build. Says his learning heap's... we bonded the laminated steel Z axis column together today and Matt will assemble the saddle and Z axis next week... He hopes to bench test the motors and spindle next week.... Mentoring has been fun.. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z axis 1.jpg   Moulds 1.jpg   Matt 1.jpg  

Evening all and sundry - Today I fitted up the adaptor plate and match drilled the spindle clamp. I then rough wired the spindle and did a small job. Some will frown with the aerial wiring but it works and now I can figure out the rewiring of the machine proper. Been researching shielded cables, EMI filters and all that jazz to quote a song. I went ER17 on the spindle so I could run 10mm tools. I ordered 2 bull nose 10mm tools today and will run these on the skateboard mould so9 much stronger then 6mm tools... . So now to develop the toolpaths for the moulds and get into it.... the dust scoop seems to work well, I did a similar thing on Scoot No1. I think I'll get a bigger extractor. The mens shed has a big one sitting around may make an offer on that... that will give me two scoops so so much betterer.... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails adaptor plate 1.jpg   collet 1.jpg   collet 2.jpg   last dowels 1.jpg  

rough wiring 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Evening all and sundry - Today I fitted up the adaptor plate and match drilled the spindle clamp. I then rough wired the spindle and did a small job. Some will frown with the aerial wiring but it works and now I can figure out the rewiring of the machine proper. Been researching shielded cables, EMI filters and all that jazz to quote a song. I went ER17 on the spindle so I could run 10mm tools. I ordered 2 bull nose 10mm tools today and will run these on the skateboard mould so9 much stronger then 6mm tools... . So now to develop the toolpaths for the moulds and get into it.... the dust scoop seems to work well, I did a similar thing on Scoot No1. I think I'll get a bigger extractor. The mens shed has a big one sitting around may make an offer on that... that will give me two scoops so so much betterer.... Peter
    You mean ER16 as they don't make an ER17 system, temporary wiring is ok for testing, as long as all electrical safety is in place

Not all EMI Filters are created equal so be careful with that selection

Shielded cable I posted before what you should use, not all shielded cable is suitable for VFD Drives and it must have a high flex rating and be of a diameter to suit you spindle plug.
    Mactec54

Ops - typo yes ER16 Re: EMI filter this is the one I have. I presume load is the spindle side and line is the power in side...Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emi.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Morning all - Recently we've had our electric oven taken out and replaced with a gas one. It had some nice heavy cabling in it. I was thinking of using that. Peter

Ops - typo yes ER16 Re: EMI filter this is the one I have. I presume load is the spindle side and line is the power in side...Peter
    The EMI Filter has to be mounted close to the VFD Drive, your 230v/240v supply connects to the input side, line side and the output connects to the VFD Drives input Power that is not a very good EMI filter for this application, and you would need a minimum of 20A for your VFD Drive

As I said not all EMI Filters are created equal, that does not look to be up for the job it has to do, and does not compare with what is needed, the PDF will give you an idea of what you need
    Mactec54

Morning all - Recently we've had our electric oven taken out and replaced with a gas one. It had some nice heavy cabling in it. I was thinking of using that. Peter
    Residential Electrical wire / cable is not suitable for machine wiring
    Mactec54

Ah Mactec - off course its not Peter
    Hello all & Sundry - Today I gave the new spindle a good workout cutting the skateboard mould top. Lots of sawdust. Very pleased with the new spindle. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rough 2.jpg   rough1.jpg   zero off job.jpg  

Morning all- The large video file loaded on facebook overnight. Here's the mould being roughed. Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...16711233493023

Peter looking good on the skateboard mold. Is this a prototype being made from MDF or plans to harden it it some way? How are you liking the new spindle?

Hi All & Loren - Here's the finishing cuts. I was going to wait until I received the 10mm tools but just used what I had.

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...3884215086398/

Hi Loren - It's the real press mould top, will do bottom late this week. They call it a mould but I suppose I'd call it a press tool set.

Seems MDF is what they make these things from. It will have a steel frame back made for it. In future I think all plywood is the go. He says there maybe more. This is a Medium Mellow board for those who speak Sk8te. Spindle is fantastic. Looking back on my Ozito, Makita, 500W DC, 600W DC and a couple of other trimmers I think the take away is 1) runout - this ones runout is the best and it shows on edge cuts 2) this ER16 shaft is stiff and that shows in how it ploughs thru stuff. Although I rarely stalled even the 500W DC I think the better shaft stiffness or bearing support is key...Now I have to go through my UCCNC config and get it to run faster... On curvy stuff it seems to cut back to 1000-1200mm/min and I want it to go 4000mm/min plus everywhere... Peter

Hey All - The new 10mm tools arrived today. Such a more manly Tool! Now I can get very serious vs 6mm tools!! I had some epoxy mixed up so coated the tool with it. Now setting up the bottom tool with the 10mm ballnose... Now have to look at UCCNC config to try and speed the curves up. Peter

Evening all - Todays unexpected job was to finish the bottom mould of the skateboard tool set. The 10mm tool is really good can take a 12-14mm cut and it runs well. So did the bottom in 3 levels vs 7 for the 6mm tool.... Pleased with the result. Made lots of sawdust as usual but I think less than with the smaller tools. So now to make Frankies gantry. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished 1.jpg   sawdust 1.jpg   finishing 2.jpg   Finished 2.jpg  

Finished 3.jpg  

Hi All- Here's a finishing video - Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...53655469335730

Evening all - this is why I use timber clamps! Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clamp.jpg  

Hi all & sundry - I have been looking at how to get UCCNC to run faster if anyone has insights or suggestions please comment. Currently Scoot will reach 5000mm/min in a straight line (its current max vel setting) but around corners/curves it slows to 1000-1200mm/min. My aim is to get it to run at 4000-5000mm/min everywhere. My usual workflow is design in rhino, export as dxf, import to uccnc. I'm about to change this to Fusion360 so will be interesting to see if there is any delta. When I parse the curves through dxf I usually set the polyline length to 1-2mm depends on what I'm doing . On some small txt it has to be smaller. So instead of randomly plugging in numbers I drew up a CAD dia of 75mm and poly-lined it to 2mm lengths, then looked at it using the tolerances set in UCCNC. So to start with the look ahead is 200 lines and this means its looking 200x2=400mm ahead,,, not much point in that as the linear addition length is 5mm so its making decisions only 2-3 steps away. The linear max error is set at 0.25mm so any point or interpolated line/point can't be more then 0.25mm from the G code points. So I created a +/-0.25mm road along the Dia75mm points. Being an arc I could also set the arc radius tolerance to 0.25mm to achieve the same thing. Now the linear addition length is set to 5mm so that's the outer radius. So the planner adds the first two segments and checks if its on the roadway, then the 3 segments to see if its on the roadway and in this case this exceeds the 5mm addition length so it stops. So I expect its jumping every other step. Now if I add out to 4 steps the path is still in the roadway so instead of setting my parsing to 2mm I could set it to 9mm and it would still be in the 0.25mm tolerance. So I shall set this up and do a test cut to see what happens. Hopefully by using 8-10mm segments it runs faster. Then I'll have to see what F360 does... Peter

Hi all you G coders - I had a play with some settings as discussed and got Scoot to increase from 1000-1200mm/min to 1500-1800mm/min. A good step fwd for now. Will continue experimenting and start coding in fusion. Peter

Hi all & sundry - I have been looking at how to get UCCNC to run faster if anyone has insights or suggestions please comment. Currently Scoot will reach 5000mm/min in a straight line (its current max vel setting) but around corners/curves it slows to 1000-1200mm/min. My aim is to get it to run at 4000-5000mm/min everywhere. My usual workflow is design in rhino, export as dxf, import to uccnc. I'm about to change this to Fusion360 so will be interesting to see if there is any delta. When I parse the curves through dxf I usually set the polyline length to 1-2mm depends on what I'm doing . On some small txt it has to be smaller. So instead of randomly plugging in numbers I drew up a CAD dia of 75mm and poly-lined it to 2mm lengths, then looked at it using the tolerances set in UCCNC. So to start with the look ahead is 200 lines and this means its looking 200x2=400mm ahead,,, not much point in that as the linear addition length is 5mm so its making decisions only 2-3 steps away. The linear max error is set at 0.25mm so any point or interpolated line/point can't be more then 0.25mm from the G code points. So I created a +/-0.25mm road along the Dia75mm points. Being an arc I could also set the arc radius tolerance to 0.25mm to achieve the same thing. Now the linear addition length is set to 5mm so that's the outer radius. So the planner adds the first two segments and checks if its on the roadway, then the 3 segments to see if its on the roadway and in this case this exceeds the 5mm addition length so it stops. So I expect its jumping every other step. Now if I add out to 4 steps the path is still in the roadway so instead of setting my parsing to 2mm I could set it to 9mm and it would still be in the 0.25mm tolerance. So I shall set this up and do a test cut to see what happens. Hopefully by using 8-10mm segments it runs faster. Then I'll have to see what F360 does... Peter
    You have a misconception of lookahead when it is set to 200 it is looking ahead 200 lines of code in the program, not 200 segments of what's in a line of code, it does not break down how many segments you have in a line.

I use .0001" for poly line length 2mm will give you a very Chunkey and not smooth cuts
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - What feed speeds does this give you? 0.0001" is 0.00254mm. very small parsing. I've found the linear error max dominates the performance. I used 8mm lengths and it was not chunky because the 0.25mm tolerance makes a narrow roadway and the planner makes the lines smaller. What are your other settings? What lin error max do you use? Peter

200 lines is 200 segments (if your calling a segment point to point) initially, its not after the planner interpolates the points and removes points that do not matter (ie creating an in-tolerance toolpath)

Page 42 of 49 324041424344