585,665 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 17 of 49 7151617181927

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Hi Mactec - I checked the fuse first thing after the smoke and its fine so something else happened to the PS. PS's are usually pretty bombproof...Here's the controller. I had the PS set at 30V so that should be fine...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251315551321?_ul=IN I might be able to change the chip if the seller does nothing...Its 5 axis for a rotary...

The X and Z worked fine out of the box. I swapped motors around and they all had same issue with Y so not a motor problem. Y was a bit odd, then intermittent then POP. The Y motor was hotter then I'd expect. I think its just a bad board. The supplier got back to me and said check all the DIPs and I said since my first email its smoked. So waiting on 2nd response. Peter

Got to do some real work today then I want to order motors for YaG. Foundation parts are in progress and I'm working on finalising the structural parts dwg set...

Morning all and Sundry - Don't let the smoke out!! This is a quick summary of where YaG the build is up to. Last thing to do is check through the gantry/saddle/z axis dwgs and check all the holes match. Then those parts can be put on order and its all done. Been over a year #1 post was 17th Jan 2020 and the world has changed.... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaG 600  status.jpg  

Evening All - I've been lining up holes most of the day. 0.25mm here, 0.5mm there, errors that creep in as the design develops. Main issue today was the catalogue I used for the linear cars model had M6 threaded holes but the actual part has M5 holes. Lucky the hole pattern is the same. I sent a note to BST and they said their cars were identical to Hiwin so I measured them up and looked at the Hiwin cataldog and they do agree. So worked through the holes associated with the cars and fixed them up... Gantry done now onto saddle... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Mactec - I checked the fuse first thing after the smoke and its fine so something else happened to the PS. PS's are usually pretty bombproof...Here's the controller. I had the PS set at 30V so that should be fine...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251315551321?_ul=IN I might be able to change the chip if the seller does nothing...Its 5 axis for a rotary...

The X and Z worked fine out of the box. I swapped motors around and they all had same issue with Y so not a motor problem. Y was a bit odd, then intermittent then POP. The Y motor was hotter then I'd expect. I think its just a bad board. The supplier got back to me and said check all the DIPs and I said since my first email its smoked. So waiting on 2nd response. Peter

Got to do some real work today then I want to order motors for YaG. Foundation parts are in progress and I'm working on finalising the structural parts dwg set...
    It's not a bad board they are all like it

Those TB6560 Boards are known to have problems, so I doubt that you did anything wrong just search TB6560 Board Problems

[FIX] How to fix Chinese TB6560 Stepper controller - Sonsivri
    Mactec54

Hi All - Supplier of the board hasn't got back to me. I expect all I can do is give it a bad review. I sent off the structural parts dwg set today for quote so they should be on the go very soon. Decided to pull down a router I have called Brevis2 and move the electronics over to YaG then all the hard yards are done in that department. Brevis 2 will be broken down and rebuilt as Frankenrouter with all the spare bits I have. Will be a full sheet machine maybe... Its good to get traction on YaG again... The only untidy area of YaG is I wanted to shear brace the ends of the gantry somehow but couldn't figure a clean solution. maybe will have a lightbulb moment while building it.. Peter

Afternoon you lot - Today I received the quotes for the structural parts and there were no surprises. I made it a mix of galvanised and stainless steel sheet. I've asked for the price in SS of the gal and will decide on gal or SS then. So tomorrow I hope to place the order for the structural parts then its all in train. The board people have been in touch and want photos of the board so onward to next step there. Sheet metal parts are 6-8 weeks away they are very busy. Been through the dwg stack polishing a bit. The motors and PS's are in transit from Wuxi, its T A G! Peter

Hi All - The board and PS supplier have asked for photos of them. That's progress. So I sent these. Maybe hope yet. I ordered all the structures today and decided to get some of the SS bits (Z axis) electropolished for some bling...Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black pins Y axis.jpg   Black Y pins 1.jpg   PS Dead 1.jpg   PS Dead 2.jpg  

Set Up 1.jpg   xyz pins.jpg  

Hi All - I took a close up of the fried area and sent it to the supplier. Peter

Evening All - Been checking a few things and found I had ordered a NEMA24 (60mm frame, 50mmsq holes) motor with brake. But my motor mount is for a N23 (47.1mmsq) (bugger). I'm at the machinist this friday so will ask him to mod the mount. The N23 mount is $39AUD + freight to get here from china, say $51AUD. BST don't sell the equivalent N24 mount MBA-12F.

So I drew up an aluminium N24 mount and got it quoted at $58 local so will go that way next time. I'd like to use the N24 as the motor is better, lower inductance and a good price... The ordered motors etc are in the country, in fact in the same state! will be here next week, excellent...

The structural parts will be available in 5 weeks and foundation parts late next week. So the build will be able to get physical again soon...Small amount of excitement rising...Peter

I believe NEMA 24 frame motors have the same bolt spacing as NEMA 23 (47.14mm) but are 60mm outside dimensions.

I think 50mm bolt spacing means the motor is not actually conforming to NEMA 24.

Doesn't mean the motor wasn't sold as NEMA 24 and has 50mm bolt spacing. Standards being loosely interpreted / marketed by certain places.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Hi Pippin - Yes last time I selected a N23 and a N24 they both had the same bolt pitch that's why I was not too fussed when I ordered this motor. Seems its a variable so buyer beware... Also the registration land is a different diameter, more things to match... Peter

>see dwgs attached one is 47.1 t'other is 50mm... the other thing I learned was that there are economy, standard and precision grade motors. E S and P. Always used S in past... but have picked P this time around as they had better henrys

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Pippin - Yes last time I selected a N23 and a N24 they both had the same bolt pitch that's why I was not too fussed when I ordered this motor. Seems its a variable so buyer beware... Also the registration land is a different diameter, more things to match... Peter

>see dwgs attached one is 47.1 t'other is 50mm... the other thing I learned was that there are economy, standard and precision grade motors. E S and P. Always used S in past... but have picked P this time around as they had better henrys
    So you have a NEMA and a Metric

There are more than one flange standard for servo / stepper motors or electric motors in general, NEMA standard is the most common , and Metric is another and there are some other variations in the Metric range depending on where they are manufactured
    Mactec54

G'day All - Today the motors and PS's arrived from stepperonline. I thought they would get here next week. Things are happening!! Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake 1.jpg   Box 1.jpg   Motors 1.jpg  

Hi All - A replacement power source arrived today so that's great. Now we see what the board supplier does.... Peter

Hi All - manual routing - I have to scarf some ply wood to create floor fall for the shower in my workshop. Since YaG's not built yet I have to do it old school!! with a sled and slopes... Peter

I trial fitted the ballscrews, coupling, motors and motor mount this morning all good. Another little step along the way... plus drew up a N24 to N23 adaptor plate. I included a little extra metal to mount an electric terminal on so it will look like its meant to be...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scarf 1.jpg   sled 1.jpg  

so much sawdust today - only 2 panels to go.... and here's the adaptor plate at least a CAD image so far.... I was going to have the motor mount rebored but the machinist and I decided the hole pattern was a bit close. We were going to epoxy in a screw to fill the hole then re-bore but if the little piece of bolt came loose when tapping it would be a bad thing. So then the adaptor plate idea came up... .Peter

Afternoon all and Sundry - The dead controller board people are going to refund the money so now that's squared off I shall try to use the "extra" axes on the fried one for this build. If no good then strip down Brevis No2. Was hoping to keep it simple stupid.... Peter

Hi All - The foundation parts are at the anodisers so nearly here... Peter

Hi All - Foundation parts are ready for pick-up. Shall do this Monday and start assembling wednesday - Excellent - Peter

Hi All - Anodiser sent engraving photo though. Looks smart. Came across this on engineering - Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scoot.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 17 of 49 7151617181927