584,860 active members*
5,424 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 28 of 49 18262728293038

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Hi All - Came across the original Scoot cutting a test guitar neck for a friend. Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...1303486179863/

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All - Came across the original Scoot cutting a test guitar neck for a friend. Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...1303486179863/
    Watching that makes me want to build my machine yesterday! Thanks for the inspiration, I needed a a bit of a boost.

Evening All - Today I have been rebuilding Brevis where all this started. So Here's Brevis and we end up with Scoot-S2 a year plus later. Grew up a bit.... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brevis No1 rebuild.jpg   Scoot-S2 cal.jpg  

Hi All - Finally can start doing stuff with Scoot in between the washroom build. I finished some art deco for the washroom. Nice bit of marquetry. Back to waterproofing... The finial is the highest part of the washroom, perhaps should have a topping out party!! Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finial set up.jpg   finial 1.jpg   finial in place.jpg   long shot.jpg  

Hi All - Today I used Scoot to do some rebating for the washroom. Some time ago there was an entry about a titanium coffee cup with CF umbrella. Well that little spot is for long thin things just like framing so I don't have to set it up fore/aft and move the router away from the wall. I may also use a temporary apron so I can do edge work.... Looked at floor vinyl and bought the rest of the iron for the shower so getting close to a real shower... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rebate 1.jpg   rebate 2.jpg   shower corner 1.jpg   shower corner 2.jpg  

Hi All - Some new bits arrived today for Scoot. Yippee now I can do an aluminium and composite trial... if its a metal mill is it still a "bit" Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bits 1.jpg  

Hi All - Some new bits arrived today for Scoot. Yippee now I can do an aluminium and composite trial... if its a metal mill is it still a "bit" Peter
    They are normally called End mills or just cutters of the various types / shape, I'm not sure where the name Bit came from, regarding milling cutters, the first time I saw bit used, was the use of a Brace and Bit to hand drill a hole, and of course regular Drill Bits, anything that drill's a hole could be called a Bit I guess. Most milling cutters are not good at drilling holes, unless by design, the same goes for wood routers, not all can drill a hole very well. so if someone has not worked in a machine shop, everything to them is a Bit regardless of what it does.
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - Agreed, I've never heard a metal machinist call a tool a bit. But carpenters and cabinet makers call them bits. My father was a carpenter in the days of hand tools and I have some of his tools. I was talking to him about his work a while ago and the agreement had 30mins a day allowed for sharpening tools. Peter

In the UK we have Slot Drills too ( usually a two flute centre cutting milling tool ). They work quite well as emergency router bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbit View Post
    In the UK we have Slot Drills too ( usually a two flute centre cutting milling tool ). They work quite well as emergency router bits.
    Someone just called it a Slot Drill and it stuck, they are every where, just like the name Bits, get used for all types of cutters, which is incorrect, your Slot Drill really is a 2 Flute center cutting End Mill. so in reality it is a End mill in machining terms.
    Mactec54

Afternoon All you Mill Heads - Todays Brevis No1 job was to complete the motor wiring, check the wiring, power Brevis up and not let the smoke out. All went to plan, Good-oh. I then set up the Z's screw drive and X axis belt drive drive and next week will belt the Y axis. Then I'll have two routers in the fleet. Then I can get serious with Frankenrouter. Did a small job on Scoot this morning and its time to start planning its dust extraction system... Peter

Yippee - Today I finished the outside of the washroom, except the door. Yesterday I cut the cleats for the shelving on Scoot and completed all the shelves being cut. Plus I started moving tools and stuff into the shelves. Now to compete the inside! Plus need to get the dust extraction going....Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails outside complete.jpg   cleats.jpg  

Evening all - Today I finished BrevisNo1 but forgot to take the computer so couldn't run it. Need to make a small aluminium bracket for the frame so this will be the first aluminium job for Scoot. Next is to make a new bench... making boxes to send parts to a customer as well... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small box 2.jpg   small box 1.jpg  

Hi All - I built the gantry box for Scoots parts yesterday. Tomorrow I pick up the final parts for Scoots first sale and Frankenrouters tool plates. Queensland opened its border yesterday and I got a pass today to cross so I hope things get back to "normal, so I can get parts and materials easier.... Just getting all the wheels turning again on my projects after my 2 weeks away. Peter

Hi All - The calculator says its been 700 days since I started this thread. Thanks for all those that have contributed. Here's the first Scoot boxed ready for freight to a happy Maker. Hope there's many more... So the future of Scoot ie Scoot-S3 will be slightly deeper and slightly higher (60mm each way as this is the hole spacing in the rails) to better take advantage of the sheet size and a billet machined saddle. All the rest has gone very well.... I think I'll make some trivets. Peter

Hi All & Sundry out there - I went to the Mens Shed today to say hi to the guys for the end of 2021. I cut a knife insert for a cutting block on the rebuilt BrevisNo1. First sawdust since the rebuild. I stiffened the tool plate as it did wobble a little when cutting heavy in the Y dirn as the plate was only 6mm thick. I added a little bracket in its corners. The knife is made from a hardwood called Jarrah (very dense) and I did a heavy cut in the Y dirn with no wobble. But it now has a tiny one in the X dirn I suppose its always been there, won't fix that. So BrevisNo1 is up for sale then I'll rebuild B#2. I'm off to pocket the knife shape in the cutting board... I'll glue the insert in with black epoxy to give it some definition... Peter

Hi All - I cut the pocket and realised It had to be mirrored and I hadn't mirror it. Damn. So I recut the infill on the outer side and set it in epoxy last night. Probably plane off the back tomorrow. Make Happiness Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bugger.jpg  

Hi All- So the inlay has been glued in, planed and its ready for the thicknesser and sander next year,,,, I was going to do this on Scoot but decided its a shed project so will do something else on Scoot. HO HO HO enjoy the holidays. Peter

Hi All - I was going to wait but I'm impatient so decide to plane the board in Scoot today. Used a 25mm bit and the spindle needs tramming. Good to know... I also set up a jig so I could edge clamp the job to get over entire surface... Peter

Hi All - I was going to wait but I'm impatient so decide to plane the board in Scoot today. Used a 25mm bit and the spindle needs tramming. Good to know... I also set up a jig so I could edge clamp the job to get over entire surface... Peter
    Looks good, Tramming is so important once you do any surfaces, with a big diameter cutter, so if it shows with a 25mm cutter, you know it is out quit a lot, make a simple bar that is held in the spindle, with an indicator out about 150mm mounted on the end, this bar needs to be rigid, and swing this 360° on a flat surface, this can be your table, or a Granite or steel surface plate, any kind of flat plate will work, this will get you were you need to be.
    Mactec54

Page 28 of 49 18262728293038