585,737 active members*
4,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 14 of 49 4121314151624

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Hi All - BST quote received tonight. Good prices sorting freight now. Will final check all parts and get on order in next couple of days. whoopie... Peter

Hi All - built more of the walls today. Bit of a fiddle to keep everything square but getting there. Been doing some work on the next one as well...Peter

Hi All - Cross threading (chuckle) here but after suggestions & experience with power heads and motors/drives. MT3, R8 or MT30? etc for small mills. Milli is conceptually complete (No5) just need to have a direction with the spindle. Been drawing up the electrical scheme for the workshop so can get quotes then can get back to YaG, so many things to do plus the commercial stuff...Peter

There are loads of tools available with R8, so that would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All - Cross threading (chuckle) here but after suggestions & experience with power heads and motors/drives. MT3, R8 or MT30? etc for small mills. Milli is conceptually complete (No5) just need to have a direction with the spindle. Been drawing up the electrical scheme for the workshop so can get quotes then can get back to YaG, so many things to do plus the commercial stuff...Peter
    30 Taper is your best choice, R8 next would not even consider MT3 what Hp is the spindle motor this to can be a factor

You never want to have the motors out the front like you have them under the column support is the best place
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - You mean the motors that run the table? not the spindle motor? If so I agree, rationalising a few things in my head now. If I use the power head shown its available in R8 and MT30 so you can pick!! Good to know your out there Zorbit...You'll be keen to see the CF parts on Milli...Next issue is motor size, want to use a variable speed say 750W maybe 1000W Peter

Good to know your out there Zorbit...You'll be keen to see the CF parts on Milli...
    Every time I come here I check out your threads to see what you're up to :-) , really looking forward to the CF bits.

Hi Zorbit - Been hoarding CF offcuts. Look up the Milli thread. I think the column is perfect for CF. YaG is going to be gal steel and stainless steel, with a dash of Tetrium..Peter

your going to want the holders to have the option for a pull stud if you ever want to add an ATC down the road. so i would go with the #30 tapper Peter.

plus your going to want a holder with the drive dogs so you can load tools consistently and tool orientation for a ATC. loading the tools the same way every time can negate some tool runout so that's where the drive dogs come into play and if you get into some heavy HP on the spindle the holder is locked so you don't run into the holder spinning in the tapper under heavy loads.

Hi - Seems the #30 is the go. There are lots of power heads for this. So any advice on motors and pulleys add to the Milli thread. I'll work backwards from the spindle this round to the machine base but need a motor for the spindle first. But this is the YaG thread....so I've finished the wiring dwgs for the workshop and sent them to the sparky for comment and quote, now I can check the motion bits and get them on order. Oh the building certifier gave the shed the all clear yesterday so another milestone down...Now I have to build the bathroom... may start a thread on that Its going to have a routered parquetry floor...Peter

a lot of people take 1.8 kw servo motors from DMM to drive a spindle but you only end up with about 1.5 HP since you have to run at a 2:1 ratio to get a spindle in the 5,000 to 6000 rpm range. so i would take a hard look around at servo manufactures to see what the rated speeds are. i think a lot of people go with a servo just because the encoder is already in place for orientation of a spindle for a tool changer and things like rigid taping where you need to sync the spindle speed and do something like feed per rev on the spindle and feed the Z down to match the pitch of the threads.

i don't know much about the VFD drives but i think they tend to lack torque in the low speed range? with a servo as a drive motor they have a wide band of useable torque over a decent range of speed. better suited for machining different materials beyond Aluminum.

Morning All - YaG update. BST are organising freight so motion parts will soon be in existence!! I haven't progressed the bench as I have been home assisting the workshop build. Today the two last roller doors get fitted, tomorrow the connecting power cables are trenched and laid then Friday the power is switched on!! WoW. I've found possum prints in the dirt around the storage area so will have to block a few holes before I move stuff from out of container storage to here! Then I have to sort tools.... but before all of that I have to paint the floor, Peter

Hi MD - my understanding of electric motors is that they all have max torque as they slow down. The issue with VSD is that the more "slip" in the motor the more heat is produced and they can cook. So there is a bottom speed for the VSD. To overcome some of this a permanently on fan is used (vs the fan on the motor shaft which is ineffective at slow speed) but that has a thermal limit as well. Peter

Hi Mactec - You mean the motors that run the table? not the spindle motor? If so I agree, rationalising a few things in my head now. If I use the power head shown its available in R8 and MT30 so you can pick!! Good to know your out there Zorbit...You'll be keen to see the CF parts on Milli...Next issue is motor size, want to use a variable speed say 750W maybe 1000W Peter
    Yes the motors that run the table, that gets old fast when the stick out the front like that

What is the size of this mill X Y Z travel
    Mactec54

Morning All - YaG update. BST are organising freight so motion parts will soon be in existence!! I haven't progressed the bench as I have been home assisting the workshop build. Today the two last roller doors get fitted, tomorrow the connecting power cables are trenched and laid then Friday the power is switched on!! WoW. I've found possum prints in the dirt around the storage area so will have to block a few holes before I move stuff from out of container storage to here! Then I have to sort tools.... but before all of that I have to paint the floor, Peter

Hi MD - my understanding of electric motors is that they all have max torque as they slow down. The issue with VSD is that the more "slip" in the motor the more heat is produced and they can cook. So there is a bottom speed for the VSD. To overcome some of this a permanently on fan is used (vs the fan on the motor shaft which is ineffective at slow speed) but that has a thermal limit as well. Peter
    VSD drives are not used for milling machines or any thing in the industry other than fans and water pumps
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by machinedude View Post
    a lot of people take 1.8 kw servo motors from DMM to drive a spindle but you only end up with about 1.5 HP since you have to run at a 2:1 ratio to get a spindle in the 5,000 to 6000 rpm range. so i would take a hard look around at servo manufactures to see what the rated speeds are. i think a lot of people go with a servo just because the encoder is already in place for orientation of a spindle for a tool changer and things like rigid taping where you need to sync the spindle speed and do something like feed per rev on the spindle and feed the Z down to match the pitch of the threads.

i don't know much about the VFD drives but i think they tend to lack torque in the low speed range? with a servo as a drive motor they have a wide band of useable torque over a decent range of speed. better suited for machining different materials beyond Aluminum.
    VFD Drives in Vector mode can give you full motor torque and any RPM, the VFD Drive is never where the problem is, the motor has to be up to the job as well

There are many choices for spindle motors just depends on what you want to do with it everything has a limiting factor
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - This is now a crossed thread, see the Milli thread for the mill details and this thread is the router called YaG (prior name Brevis-HD). The mills original target was 500x500x500 but now its more like 600x300Yx450Z. Now I have settled the motor spec I'm reviewing the footprint size and envelope of the machine, so this may change again. Its general description is a benchtop mill but its grown up too big... Peter

Hi All - Today I finished YaG's machine base ready for its hardware. Had a cup with me but it wasn't titanium like in the drawings. The base worked out well. Would like a colour vs white. Next time I'll do it in birch and varnish it or maybe aluminium laminated ply, I like that. I put it on its feet and rough levelled it. Next week I'll correctly level after it has settled a bit. Now I have to put in the M8 hold down inserts. I'll also have to cut down a broom to sweep through the cavities,,, got confirmation that the parts are in build in Shanghai. So better get the sheet metal parts on order or its Xmas and it will be next year to the finish line... The base is heavy and stiff will be interesting doing the static stiffness test when I get there. Peter

Hi all you lurkers and participants - Today I started putting in the thread inserts into the base. I forgot my phone so no photos today. . Next Wednesday I'll do more and take some shots. BST Shanghai parts should be getting closer and I have started reviewing the sheetmetal parts. I also levelled the base today and it looks very level so I'm please with that. One of the walls has a slight hill in it so I'll have to lap that out before I put the motion bits on.... I tried my engineers level but found it was not quite level so have to have a play with it to bring it into level... Just learnt about Musks satellite train and spacelink project amazing!! Keep Making Peter

Hi All - Ali Babas Express magic carpet has been dispatched from Shanghai so motion parts will be here in 2 weeks... better get the sheet metal finished and the electronics/motors sorted. I was going to use the electronics I have on another trial machine (BrevisNo2) but Its a shame to pull down a machine that works!! Peter

Page 14 of 49 4121314151624