585,698 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Fanuc Servo drive cooling fan. What sensor signal?

Fanuc Servo drive cooling fan. What sensor signal?

Hi guys!
    Just had a cooling fan crap out on me. It's in a Fanuc Servo unit.
    The fan is a Sanyo Denki SanAce60WF model 9WF0624H7D04.
    I suspect the end characters D04 of the model number determine the fan sensor output, but i find nothing about D04 in Sanyo documentation.
    Replaced it with a standard fan, but the controller still complain about defective fan..
    Do anyone know what the Fanuc controller expect on the sensor input, and in what limits one should stay?

Re: Fanuc Servo drive cooling fan. What sensor signal?

Quote Originally Posted by Thamaz View Post
    Hi guys!
    Just had a cooling fan crap out on me. It's in a Fanuc Servo unit.
    The fan is a Sanyo Denki SanAce60WF model 9WF0624H7D04.
    I suspect the end characters D04 of the model number determine the fan sensor output, but i find nothing about D04 in Sanyo documentation.
    Replaced it with a standard fan, but the controller still complain about defective fan..
    Do anyone know what the Fanuc controller expect on the sensor input, and in what limits one should stay?
    You might want to list the generation of controller and what axis the drive runs.

Hmm.. at home now and not at shop until Monday, but after some investigation:

Control A02B-0238-B542 (18i) Year 1997
    servo A06B-6096-H106

It run the Y-axis on a machining centre.
    Last edited by Thamaz; 01-17-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Re: Fanuc Servo drive cooling fan. What sensor signal?

The fans with fail detection I have come across have a hall sensor to detect blade rotation, If the sensor has 3 wires, In some case you can fool it by connecting the output to the high side.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Solved!

Used a standard 12V dc computer fan for replacement.
    The Fanuc control deliver 24V dc and is not interested in the pulse train the standard fan produce on the sensor line. It look for a "running" signal.
    So - I put together a Voltage stabilizer to get 12v dc, a timer circuit tuned to slightly greater timing than the PC-fan produce when running at nominal speed and let the fan sensor output trigger and re-trigger the timer. Now the output signal was inverted so I adjusted that by a simple transistor step and hooked the Fanuc control line to it as an open collector arrangement. Viola! it works, and the Fanuc respond with alarm if I physically stop the fan ..