584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > fadal servo amplifier fault

fadal servo amplifier fault

servo amplifier fault 18 on all 3 axis

Why would you want to generate a fault on all your servo drives? It can be very hard on the electronics.

i do not want to generate an alarm i got an alarm on all 3 axis

Are you happy with your alarms?
    Why are you announcing the state of your machine? Do you want to get rid of the alarms and don't know how?
    What does your manual that came with the Fadal describe what a #18 fault is?

Amplifier Fault on Axis
    This occurs at power on if the control does not detect an axis that should be
    operational. This is often seen when the A axis is not in use and the dummy
    termination plug has been installed. If the dummy termination plug is installed,
    this message can be disregarded.
    If this message appears for any of the other axes (X, Y, or Z), then power off to check the motor overload relays. Power on and if the message appears again, call the service department, noting the error message number.
    Power off the machine before checking fuses, relays, and circuit breakers. The motor overload relays can be recognized by their white reset buttons. They are located in both control enclosures. The white button must be pressed to reset a relay.
    This message also appears when the EMERGENCY STOP button has been
    pressed. The operator must release the EMERGENCY STOP button and press
    the JOG button to reset the amplifiers. (Pressing in the EMERGENCY STOP
    button disconnects the axis amplifiers. This is why this message appears when the button is pressed.)

[ 18 ] AMPLIFIER FAULT LINE DOWN
    This error appears any time the axis card no longer detects the fault line signal from the amplifier, or the signal strength has dropped below 10V, at least 5V indicating a possible amplifier fault.

bala955, download this manual if you don't have one.
    http://www.compumachine.com/Support/...leshooting.pdf

you can switch the amps the one of the other ones if you still get a fault then most likely is need replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer337 View Post
    you can switch the amps the one of the other ones if you still get a fault then most likely is need replaced.
    The fault is reported in all three axis. Swapping drives is a valid troubleshooting procedure if the fault is isolated to one drive, however swapping drives when all three are giving you a fault may not be productive. Logic dictates the problem lies in something common to all three drives, ie: bus voltages, control voltages/signals, etc

i agree with part of the problem but the amp rack is the reason behind my actions the rack can be an intermitting problem and by pulling and switching boards back and fourth you can elimnate one of the problems first. then next i would be looking for the cause of the servo fault do you have an baldor servo or something else?

first check the emergancy line
    from what you describe one of the overload triped
    have you AC orDC machine
    give us some details then we can help you

I keep getting an X axis fault error#18. It first happened when the machine was sitting doing nothing and I was modifying a program. In the background the normal whir, whir of the AC drives humming went clunk and the X axis dropped out. Hitting jog would reset it for a while then it would just go into E-stop.

After hitting the E-stop and letting it sit for 5 -10 minutes, the drive will power up again and you can jog it for a short time, then it will trip out.

I had the same problem 8 months or so ago on the Z axis and had to replace the axis amplifier card. I had to go through my Ellison becasue Fadl wouldn't sell me the card unless a tech came to install it.

I believe I simply need another digital AC Brushless servo amplifier part SMA8510-3 is what's on the amp, although they replaced the Z axis with an SMA8510-10.

Anybody got a spare amp they want to sell, or a source?

Stu

Amp Fault 18 on start up, all 3 axis

According to the manual, if I turn on the power switch but do not push the green button, all 3 amps have a red led lit. According to the manual, then K20 relay is shorted. I've replaced K20 but still get the amp faults. If I started up the machine and push the little reset buttons on all three amps, then the machine runs ok until next power down cycle. I need help to find out why the amps are getting power before I push green button and faulting out.

Bala995,
    Did you ever get your problem solved? I am seeing the same, #18 "X" alarm and haven't had any luck fixxing it. I did however notice on my 4020, that when I swapped the "X" and "Z" cards, I had the table running away upon initial powerup. It then read "Z" motor overheat & "X" motor overheat. I put those cards back and then swapped the "Y" and "Z" cards and the same thing happened, only now it read "Z" motor overheat & "Y" motor overheat. Again, I put them back in the original location of the backplane. I changed the "X" and "Y and at no point did the original #18 fault subside. But, at least I didn't have any motor overheat alarms. I was hoping you might have your machine fixxed or someone else may have a solution. Thanks, JoB.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

First of all this thread is regarding amp fault #18 on all 3 axis at the same time on start up.

Note : When swapping axis controller cards (plug into backplane) there is a jumper that must also be swapped to tell the card which axis to control.
    that why the table is running away when card and jumpers were both swapped.

Try swapping the amp cards (located on the amp chassis).

AndyB,
    Thanks for replying. At first glimpse, I thought I was changing the amp cards, not the controllers. Dah! You have cleared that up. I also thought that the header on this thread said "Fadal Servo Amplifier Fault". Maybe I should have started a whole new thread, but I think that it makes sense to stick with the subject. Thanks again and sorry for any confusion.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

servo amplifier fualt #18 an fadal

Hi stucaruk, I recently had a 5C 4th axis installed on my Fadal EMC. Ever since they intalled it I get a Z axis servo amplifier fualt #18. when the 4th axis is disconnected I no longer get the alarm. The macxhine is all clear of chips .... and the ball screws are all in great shape so I have elminated any of the obvius reasons for this. I am thinking that when they installed it they steel power form the z axis relay and this may be the cuase? this would draw power for both the A and Z axis causing an over draw in the power for the Z and the Z axis servo amp may be detecting insuficant power and setting the alarm off? were you able to solve your problem and if so what was the result?

Thank you,

Re: fadal servo amplifier fault

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer337 View Post
    How can I change the servo amplifiers from Axis X to Axis Y?
    My fault is in Axis Y...

Thank you for the advices!!!