584,841 active members*
4,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Boss 8 CNC retrofit and 5 HP upgrade - Build thread
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

Boss 8 CNC retrofit and 5 HP upgrade - Build thread

I have a mill thats in good condition with low hours originally servo driven. I will upgrade with MESA cards, Linuxcnc, modern servoes, 5 HP motor and VFD (variable drive removed), and maybe a full enclosure.

My progress thus far is the 5 HP motor is installed and I"m about to fire it up. I also have the Mesa cards and mpg.

PS I will be on the lookout for reasonably priced Kwik Switch 200 tooling. I may even make them from scratch at some point if I feel like doing a little tool post grinding, depends on if I can get what I want without paying inflated prices...

Grab CAD link:
    https://grabcad.com/library/bridgepo...-vfd-upgrade-1

Attachment 435014
    Attachment 435016
    Attachment 435018
    Attachment 435020

Re: Boss 8 CNC retrofit and 5 HP upgrade - Build thread

I have a couple Bridgeport Boss mills i am upgrading.. i will follow along !!

what spindle motor are you using, motor RPM's, and pulley ratio ?

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I have a couple Bridgeport Boss mills i am upgrading.. i will follow along !!

what spindle motor are you using, motor RPM's, and pulley ratio ?
    All the data is in the grabcad link for download.
    It's a 5 hp baldor vector rated, 6000 rpm max, 1800rpm base speed motor. Its geared down a little bit so not to exceed the spindle speed max of 4200.

Quote Originally Posted by dbsharp View Post
    All the data is in the grabcad link for download.
    It's a 5 hp baldor vector rated, 6000 rpm max, 1800rpm base speed motor. Its geared down a little bit so not to exceed the spindle speed max of 4200.
    The Spindle can run at much higher than 4200 I have run them at 12,000 RPM the main problem at higher speeds is the long splined shaft if it is not perfect which most are not then 6,000 is a safe speed for them to run, the speeds I have done on these machines is at 1:1 and 2:1 direct drive and with no Back Gear in place
    Mactec54

i think the spindle will handle more than 4200 upgrade the bearings if necessary

I would not doubt it, however with 4200 as the max speed, I dont have to change any of it, AND I get a full 2 hp over (basically) the entire oem rpm range. If I spin it faster I lose bottom end.
    Attachment 435222

I would not doubt it, however with 4200 as the max speed, I dont have to change any of it, AND I get a full 2 hp over (basically) the entire oem rpm range. If I spin it faster I lose bottom end.
    Attachment 435222
    At higher speeds you can run smaller cutters which don't need very much torque to run them you can have the best of both high speed and low speed

If you still have the Back Gear in place then 5,000 to 6,000 RPM is max
    Mactec54

I have seen your rebuilt drive before and I must say its very slick! Interesting to hear of someone who has run these spindles at this speed. I will still probably not change the pulley ratio or go much above 4200, i'm a bit chicken, lol. This iron is in very nice shape, hardly any wear as far as I can tell, so my goal here is to make a setup that will last for a long time. It seems like most spindles with quality bearings like this should do 6k just fine with quality grease, above that ceramic seems to be the way to go, and above the 8k range, I think you pretty much need an oil air mist for long term dependability. At least this is what I have gleamed from reading and listening from folks a lot smarter than me.

PS any recommendations on a quality 750w servo that can get splashed with coolant?

I have seen your rebuilt drive before and I must say its very slick! Interesting to hear of someone who has run these spindles at this speed. I will still probably not change the pulley ratio or go much above 4200, i'm a bit chicken, lol. This iron is in very nice shape, hardly any wear as far as I can tell, so my goal here is to make a setup that will last for a long time. It seems like most spindles with quality bearings like this should do 6k just fine with quality grease, above that ceramic seems to be the way to go, and above the 8k range, I think you pretty much need an oil air mist for long term dependability. At least this is what I have gleamed from reading and listening from folks a lot smarter than me.

PS any recommendations on a quality 750w servo that can get splashed with coolant?
    Grease is the limiting factor for spindle speed but up to 12,000 RPM is normally not a problem most high speed spindles 24,000 RPM plus are all using Grease filed Bearings
    Mactec54

Well I got it running today. Runs great and rpm is dead on. Just one problem, there is a slapping or grinding noise coming from the spindle. At low speed (200 rpm) in high gear, it makes a knocking sound exactly once per spindle revolution. At higher speeds its sounds more like grinding with more than one noise per revolution. When the quill goes 3/4 of the way down or more, the noise seems to disappear. In low gear the noise is not as distinct as in high gear. I think I need to check out the spline drive and bull gear. I fear that the spline or bull gear shaft is worn in the area it was most used. The ways, ballscrew backlash, and quill on this machine look amazing and fresh so I'm hoping to find another source for noise. I did have to replace the bearings for the belt pulley, they felt trashy, so maybe I'll get lucky and find another cheap part that needs replacement.

I'm hoping I don't need to replace the spindle or anything. I'm not sure if these would even be the same as a normal bridegport parts.

Well I got it running today. Runs great and rpm is dead on. Just one problem, there is a slapping or grinding noise coming from the spindle. At low speed (200 rpm) in high gear, it makes a knocking sound exactly once per spindle revolution. At higher speeds its sounds more like grinding with more than one noise per revolution. When the quill goes 3/4 of the way down or more, the noise seems to disappear. In low gear the noise is not as distinct as in high gear. I think I need to check out the spline drive and bull gear. I fear that the spline or bull gear shaft is worn in the area it was most used. The ways, ballscrew backlash, and quill on this machine look amazing and fresh so I'm hoping to find another source for noise. I did have to replace the bearings for the belt pulley, they felt trashy, so maybe I'll get lucky and find another cheap part that needs replacement.

I'm hoping I don't need to replace the spindle or anything. I'm not sure if these would even be the same as a normal bridegport parts.
    Just needed a little alignment to get the clutch dogs lined up. Now it sounds much better.

I rebuild the kwik switch nut too, it's a little sticky I'm thinking the roll pin might be oriented so the edges are digging into the nut. Might just need breaking in, I'll take it apart again and check.

Just needed a little alignment to get the clutch dogs lined up. Now it sounds much better.

I rebuild the kwik switch nut too, it's a little sticky I'm thinking the roll pin might be oriented so the edges are digging into the nut. Might just need breaking in, I'll take it apart again and check.
    No the Boss CNC machines have a different Spindle, the spline area is much longer than a regular Bridgeport manual mill, depending on what head you have most of the other parts are the same
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No the Boss CNC machines have a different Spindle, the spline area is much longer than a regular Bridgeport manual mill, depending on what head you have most of the other parts are the same
    The splines looked new and were very tight. Pulling apart the cabinet, I found the hour meter and it has not moved off 0 yet. I'm thinking this mill's story of being a community college mill turned on a few times a semester might be true.

DB, looking good ! i know what you are saying about those rubber covers, but all the boss' i have run into over the years have exceptional ways.. so they must work ! Im hoping to build an enclosure around the table itself so it will contain the chips there... guess we will see..

here is a picture of my way bellows on my heidenhain BP ... mind you the ways are smaller than on the boss if you find something like that LMK and ill be buying them as well !!!

Joe

DB, looking good ! i know what you are saying about those rubber covers, but all the boss' i have run into over the years have exceptional ways.. so they must work ! Im hoping to build an enclosure around the table itself so it will contain the chips there... guess we will see..

here is a picture of my way bellows on my heidenhain BP ... mind you the ways are smaller than on the boss if you find something like that LMK and ill be buying them as well !!!

Joe
    I have the OEM table chip guards for the boss. Still some chips would fly over it and out the backside I think. And any coolant would soak the floor.
    Maybe you would be interested?

I have the OEM table chip guards for the boss. Still some chips would fly over it and out the backside I think. And any coolant would soak the floor.
    Maybe you would be interested?

post up some pics.. maybe !

post up some pics.. maybe !
    yes pictures
    and im subscribing

So i got a bit of rust on the x ballscrew where bridgeport had an open are under the table. I have some bronze wool and some citric acid coming in. I figure ill try to get the rust off, and may even polish afterwards, not sure here. Its a $1000 mill so not sure how much it makes sense to spend on it. The screws seem like they are in very good shape otherwise.
    Attachment 437034

The ways on the table look like there is very little wear and cleaned up nice:
    Attachment 437036

One area I have been debating with myself is weather or not to replace all the way oil meetering valves. This mill is 25 years old, but clearly low hours. I have looked, and there are a ton of these things. I'm sure Id spend 500+ to replace them all. thoughts?

Boss 8 belt size with servo:

y axis 240h100 gates
    .5 pitch, 1" width, h belt, 24" long, 48 tooth

x axis 220h100 gates
    .5 pitch, 1" width, h belt, 22" long, 44 tooth

z axis 270h075 gates
    .5 pitch, .75" width, h belt, 27" long, 54 tooth

Anyone know if the timing belt on the spindle low gear is the same a regular Bridgeport?

The coolant chip guard is the same as this one:

So i got a bit of rust on the x ballscrew where bridgeport had an open are under the table. I have some bronze wool and some citric acid coming in. I figure ill try to get the rust off, and may even polish afterwards, not sure here. Its a $1000 mill so not sure how much it makes sense to spend on it. The screws seem like they are in very good shape otherwise.

One area I have been debating with myself is weather or not to replace all the way oil meetering valves. This mill is 25 years old, but clearly low hours. I have looked, and there are a ton of these things. I'm sure Id spend 500+ to replace them all. thoughts?

y axis 240h100 gates

x axis 220h100 gates

z axis 270h075 gates

Anyone know if the timing belt on the spindle low gear is the same a regular Bridgeport?

The coolant chip guard is the same as this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7d...ature=emb_logo

Looks like its in great shape ! i would think if you see a ALL the ways being lubed you should be good.. or possibly figure a single point hookup before each metering valve ... and you could do a good visual since the table is off..

would be interested in the chip guard if the price is right.. pretty simple design tho... could possibly make one as well...... lmk !

thanks
    Joe

Attachment 437034

Attachment 437036

y axis 240h100 gates

x axis 220h100 gates

z axis 270h075 gates

The Belt is a regular Timing Belt just measure it and you can get a replacement I may have one if you have the size that you have

That C3 Ballscrew does not look so good with the rust on it, it looks like it has never had enough oil on it which can be a problem with the standard oil pumps on these machines

Here is a photo of my table guard I made from 1/8" Aluminum sheet the corner posts where milled from bar stock the 2 ends just slide in which you can remove for long parts

And Y axis Ballscrew after more than 15 years of use it does have custom way covers though
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123