584,833 active members*
5,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > DIY 1500 x 1000 mm CNC. How to make aluminum cutting?

DIY 1500 x 1000 mm CNC. How to make aluminum cutting?

I am getting into CNC machining as a hobbyist and I need some advice from seasoned machinists. In searching for the right end mills to start out with, I have found a million brands and types. I will be cutting a lot of 1/4 in aluminum plates, eventually I will work my way to 1/2 in.

Here are all of the parts I've purchased so far:

Re: DIY 1500 x 1000 mm CNC. How to make aluminum cutting?

In general, aluminum cuts best with 2-flute endmills. Carbide tools keep an edge longer, and coatings can help. But to give you more specific advice, we'd need to know what sorts of parts you're trying to make out of those aluminum plates. If you tried attaching something to your post, that didn't work; try again.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: DIY 1500 x 1000 mm CNC. How to make aluminum cutting?

Hello PG3 - Also what depth of cut do you expect? Usually a hobby CNC router 1000x1500 is not very stiff so your DOC and feed sped will be limited. Look up some of the feed speed calculators to figure out whats needed. Are the parts 1000x1500? or are they small parts? if small then a mill is the better solution. Peter