584,837 active members*
4,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Red Cam Help

Hello,

I recently purchased a used Red Cam CNC benchtop machine and I’m having troubles getting it going. I am using Mach 3 on my laptop for now just to get everything moving. I feel like my problem is in the ports and pins configuration. Pins 2 and 3 are not illuminating which I’m told is my main problem, nothing will work until they are working.

I have port 1 enabled, motor outputs I have X pin 2/3, Y pin 3/4 and Z pin 5/6. Output signals I have charge pump enabled 1/17.

Can’t really figure out what else I need, any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: CNC Red Cam Help

First off check that a laptop is OK. A while ago is was conventional wisdom that the parallel port on a laptop was not OK. It had to be a fullsize PC. I may be out of date though.

Hmm interesting. When I do plug in my laptop it does successfully download the driver. But one thing that is odd is I can't get the Reset to flash in Mach 3 when pressing the E-stop button on my mill which tells me the laptop and mill are not connecting. Any suggestions on how I can confirm this? Thanks

Sorry, I can't give more details, I don't have. It was something about the amount power the parallel port of laptops not being sufficient to drive the electronics, I could be wrong though.

Either try a demo version of mach3 on a fullsize PC or head on over to the Mach3 forum?

Desktop pc's with parallel port for that type board (DB25 parallel connector).
    Laptops for usb and lan boards.

Get a cheap desktop or get a new usb or lan board.