584,860 active members*
5,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Y axis support beam

Hi

I am new and I am trying to build my first CNC router. I am trying to develop a detailed plan of a CNC router that could cut wood as well as soft metal. My question concerns the mounting of guide rail on a pair of Y axis beam.
    Please see the attached image. I plan on using a 1.5" x 1.5" steel square pipe (1/4" thickness)for the beams. I am using steel pipe because I can get it for free.

When mounting the guide rail (15mm width), I will use M4 bolts of length 2". My question is, Is it necessary to thread the bolt holes on the pipe? I am a beginner and I don't have much experience with hand tapping and I want to avoid threading if possible. Or should at least one side of the pipe contain threading?

I am hopping a tight nut at the end will be robust enough but if I have to thread, then I guess I will do it.

Thank you
    Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y axis support beams.jpg  

Re: Y axis support beam

Your image didn't post, but I'm doubting that those steel tubes are going to be flat enough to mount linear rails on; they're pretty particular about that. But you should have plenty of thickness for threading the holes, lack of which is the usual reason for avoiding it. If you really want to avoid it, I suppose you could drill all the way through your tubes and use nuts on the ends of your bolts. But threaded holes would fix the rails in place more precisely, assuming the pilot holes were drilled accurately in the first place.
    Andrew Werby
    Website