584,863 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Constant issues with mach 4... alternatives?

Constant issues with mach 4... alternatives?

Hi all,

I have been running my avid 4x2 for a few months now and I just seem to have constant problems with mach 4. Most recently and noticeably is the after closing it just removes itself from my desktop. One time I was able to find it and move it back, but now its just gone. I have had this happen before and have had to reinstall the software twice already.

Is there a better option to control the machine? I quickly losing faith in mach4.

Re: Constant issues with mach 4... alternatives?

UCCNC, you'll need a compatible motion controller (UC300eth-5lpt is my preference), but that just means getting rid of your ESS. Not that the ESS is the problem. Cost to convert isn't all that much, but UCCNC has been dead reliable for me, but you can also run Mach 3, and Mach 4 with the UC300eth-5lpt. So that's nice.

All of that said, it sounds like you might have issues bigger than just Mach 4. Programs shouldn't disappear. Can you find Mach 4 on your C drive after it disappears?

Centroid Acorn would be a good choice or Dynomotion Kflop. Are you running a Windows 7 computer? I have noticed some weirdness with mine, and I am not running Mach products.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    All of that said, it sounds like you might have issues bigger than just Mach 4. Programs shouldn't disappear. Can you find Mach 4 on your C drive after it disappears?
    Agreed. Sound suspiciously like a viris to me.
    Has your PC ever been connected to the net?
    Is the Windows install newish or old?
    How old is your hardrive?

You can use UCCNC, it is way better than Mach3 and the CNCDrive motion controllers work with mach3, mach4 and also with UCCNC. You can switch between software any time.

Is there any guidance on switching over to a compatible motion controller for UCCNC? I am not a tech wizard!

I have been running windows ten and have been hooked up the internet pretty much only to download mach 4. The computer is a few months old. Some people on other forums are saying it may be some sort of antivirus.

I have a 3 year old Pro 4824 which I upgrade from Mach 3 to Mach 4 about 3 months ago. No problems at all.

Are you using the "Avid CNC shortcut" on your desktop?

A good idea NOT to connect to the Intenet with your PC and if thats the case, you don't need an Antiviris......
    Just my opinion......

Your problem is not Mach4 there are thousands of people using it without issues. My guess its Windows 10 and its constant upgrades and patches, especially the Home version. The Pro as I understand can be configured not to do the constant upgrades. My guess the software is still there… Win10 rearranged the Desktop for you and moved the Icon. Its a hell of a lot easier fixing your Windows 10 than installing a new controller!!

PS Are you 100% sure its not connected?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Thanks everybody for your help. Avid cnc is great on the phone and we discovered the issue was in my pc (as most of you suspected). Apparently in the two seconds I hooked up the pc to the web it updated itself with macafee and "once drive" which completely messed up mach 4. I have since turned off all ativirus and updates. I simply will never connect the computer to the web again!!

However I did uninstall and reinstall mach got it up and going but now the router immediately runs off the table when I start a cut. I have encountered this before... not sure what my fix was. Configuration units are all metric, but its interesting because in the mach display it says the tool was moved a couple mm but in reality it is half way across the table

Scratching my head on this one. Ill uninstall and try again

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfiore View Post
    Thanks everybody for your help. Avid cnc is great on the phone and we discovered the issue was in my pc (as most of you suspected). Apparently in the two seconds I hooked up the pc to the web it updated itself with macafee and "once drive" which completely messed up mach 4. I have since turned off all ativirus and updates. I simply will never connect the computer to the web again!!

However I did uninstall and reinstall mach got it up and going but now the router immediately runs off the table when I start a cut. I have encountered this before... not sure what my fix was. Configuration units are all metric, but its interesting because in the mach display it says the tool was moved a couple mm but in reality it is half way across the table

Scratching my head on this one. Ill uninstall and try again
    You screwed up the configeration when you reloaded. Do you work in Metric if not why do you have the mm setup files? My machine computer runs on Windows 7 Pro.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP