585,974 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC to make Metal Business Cards?

What would it take to build a CNC/Lathe that will be used exclusively for making metal business cards? Thickness is around 0.10" and is stainless steel. I know they also use photochemical etching to do it, but I don't have a clue about how this stuff works.

Examples can be seen on http://metalcards.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZam View Post
    What would it take to build a CNC/Lathe that will be used exclusively for making metal business cards? Thickness is around 0.10" and is stainless steel. I know they also use photochemical etching to do it, but I don't have a clue about how this stuff works.

Examples can be seen on http://metalcards.com

Sure you don't want a mill?

realistically i would just lazer cut the metal business cards and be done with it. you would need a very high speed spindle to do the fine engraving. you could do it with a mini mill but why?

I don't know about you guys but my wallet's already heavy enough with regular business cards (not cash). I'm not sure my pants would be able to stay up if this idea caught on. LOL
    Jack&Master

I believe you will not be able to get fine enough detail by macnining them. There is a reason why they use photochemical etching.
    Here are couple pics of sample i have:

Also, depending how expensive your time is its might be worth payint $1-1.50/card they are charging if you need more than 10 of them

Quote Originally Posted by cpsheets View Post
    I don't know about you guys but my wallet's already heavy enough with regular business cards (not cash). I'm not sure my pants would be able to stay up if this idea caught on. LOL
    They are VERY light, possible same weight as paper ones, but the impression they leave is worth the price if you have bussiness to pay for them.

Well how does photoetching work? Is it something that I can get into with out a huge expense? Less than say $2k?

google and globalspec will give you all info you need

Ok, so I googled it and found some information. There doesn't seem to be websites as good as this one for disucssions on how to actually do it though. Does anyone have experience in this?

I went to radio shack and bought a PC Board making kit and it came with very very vague instructions that clearly came from a copy machine. It included the chemicals to do it, but how do I transfer the design to the board?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZam View Post
    ... but how do I transfer the design to the board?
    Typical PCB processes for this is to either manually lay out sticky tape (not good for your situation), or draw it with a special pen (again bad here), "toner-transfer" it (print on special paper with a laser printer then iron it onto the PCB, or use photo-sensitized boards with a UV light and developer chemical. I would recommend the last option, but you can't use the radio shack boards with those -- you need boards that come with the photo-sensitive coating. But since you are doing this on some other metal, toner-transfer would be best. BTW, some people have modified printers to directly print the etch-resistant ink onto PCB's.

Google has all the info if you use the search terms (toner transfer, photo etch, etc). Also look for MG Chemical's website as those are the products I use.

Now, I will tell you that surface-mount electronics use thin metal sheets with patterns etched out to allow a machine to dispense solder-paste where necessary. They're called "solder stencils". But even though the stencil makers (who generally make PCB's as well) have some of the best PCB-making equipment, then still don't use that for the stencils. They use lasers to etch the stencils. Google will also find you info on that.