584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > BLowing up Haas Vector Drive Spindle outputs . 98 VF/4 Where to look?

BLowing up Haas Vector Drive Spindle outputs . 98 VF/4 Where to look?

Update: White Vector unit smoked out and faulted again.
    We pulled the Drive and the cover off the Drive unit. The VF ran for about 5 hours (recently back from repair). We had ran a warm up pgm earlier in the day. A few times went Jogging around as we tested some distances on workholding'. The machine was sitting idle for about 2 hours when it failed. Nothing else running. A small tantalum cap fell out and was sitting below it.

Seems like something in Spindle Motor output area failed...
    Attached is a link to a non-haas provided spindle drive print that's been shared around for years. Close enough to help map this to places to look around for what might be causing this.

Here is the full PDF. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ix...spPd9rPLWyljdt ) Or- PAge 2 JPG image below.

(pic below) The Part that fell out, C61, is from J11 connector, and C60 from J12 browned and toasty. Semiconductor wise: a VR Diode popped between the black IC type modules near J11/J12. The output of J11/12 and J9/10 on page 2 show they end up on the A' B' C' motor connection lugs. Ohm'ed that part out. Seems right.
    BUT... what's it all mean? Something external must be causing this now... 2nd time it's done this and 2x time repaired externally.

MEGGER test of the motor? (bought a cheap import.. but seems to work well enough). I did the test right from the 3 motor cables where they connect to the drive? Do I need to get all the skins off again and get up top?

500V insulation test - all 3 leads. 1.96 to 2 GigOhm. All three leads read nearly identical.
    1000V insulation test - All 3 least. 1.87-1.9 GigOhms. All three leads read nearly identical.
    Did not perform the 2500 or 5000v insulation tests but can.

Other than the MEgger test, Not sure what else we can check or should do next? Ohmed out all the 380VDc lines to and axis motors. checked everything I could to ground looking for shorts.... Spindle wise, wondered if someone else might have some thoughts. It's no a production machine. For a Sons COllege program and maybe a start-up if it'll ever run. been a terrible year w/ this thing.

Pic of area missing cap bad VRx device;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3416.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	435367

Pic of sheet 2. Schemo-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page2Vector.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	435369
    Last edited by countryguy; 01-25-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Re: BLowing up Haas Vector Drive Spindle outputs . 98 VF/4 Where to look?

Maybe just me, but those pictures aren't viewable.

Maybe it's time to try the rick repair guy?

Update and parts lists....

Thread update (if you read all of this- We blew the Spindle Vector Drive, sent it out... came back, blew again in 5 hours. Circuit area isolated. Checked and Megged motor. Checked regen resistors. Check check checks. We'll see soon when power is applied.

high level review:
    The top-board had 2 failed Zener's and several bad Tantalum caps. (gee... sound familiar... see my post on C41 for CPU's boards and the 'gggggggg' or 'mmmmmmm' or whatever on display).

So- I ripped out all the zeners, and all the tantalum near J9 thru J13. See images. The parts to replace are listed below. BUT.. you need to know what your doing and have a really steady hand and a great soldering iron. :-) It's a longer story than I can go into here, but the Zeners are now Axial's and placed off the board a bit to help w/ heat. The tantalums were replaced w/ polar Electrolytic. (which was already done on 2 of the sections I repaired... but they left the other 4 original.. which is where the zener diode and tantalum failed? I mean.. your in there.. $1000 to repair the thing- just replace em' from J9 to J13 for pete sakes. ((you may know who you are)). I did attempt to research & spec original or fully equivalent replacements for every part on here. This is DIY and at-your-own risk, but again, I did spec and cross every part and tolerance I could. I'll be going for power up soon... I don't advise working on your top board... but if your like me and just don't want to spend $1,300 for repair/exchange or 6,000 from Haas.... Then ya dive in start someplace.

In summary: I've replaced the lower end IGBT's, 3 phase rectifier, the big blue caps, The fans, and regen IGBT. And the top J9- J13 zeners and caps. The 2nd order was for other parts in case something else fails. May as well.. I'm into this for the haul.

sourcing:
    The LOWER end components. The IGBT's and IGBT drivers (M57962L or M57962L-01R-01) were sourced from ebay or Amazon. the large snubber caps, are on the 1st digikey list below. The 3 phase reciter(SANREX DF150BA80) was also from Amazon. For the actual Mitsubishi or POwerEx IGBT's You'll have no issues finding them presently but you will need to wait weeks to get from Hong-Kong or China. (and hope they are not pirate copies?? So use your judgement). I found my IGBTs in the US... These are the CM150DY-12H IGBTs. 3 of them. The big white box PMB caps screw onto those. Maybe someone can post a spec'd replacement for the Mitsubishi IGBT's? The fans are on parts list 1 also from digi-key. 30CFM.. and same OEM/PN as originals. The large blue caps.... they are on the 1st digi-key parts list. The IGBT for the regen Assy- is on the digi-key list ...

At this point... after 2 years of a used Haas that's alway's having a power , CPU, or Semi-conductor issues.. I mean, come'on hoping! ! !
    :-)

Also--- order some thermal paste. you need it for the IGBT's and rectifier.

The Soldering iron. a new toy plug since this thing is a 45+ on a scale of 1 to 10. It's been on hackaday a few times and the thing is out of this world for this type of work. Google TS100 soldering iron. (I also posted details in the Fabrication forum). it''s $60 for a kit and a tip. DO the GitHub freeware upgrade. Much better tweaks. google github ts100 upgrade. YT vids on how too upgrade. Takes literally 3mins.

My first order:
    Part Number Manufacturer Part Number Description
    1572-1459-ND 474PMB122KSP2 CAP FILM 0.47UF 1.2KVDC CHAS MT
    1053-1086-ND OA80AP-22-1WB FAN AXIAL 80X38MM 230VAC WIRE
    BZX85B9V1-TRGICT-ND BZX85B9V1-TR DIODE ZENER 9.1V 1.3W DO41
    493-14496-ND UKL1V470KPDANA CAP ALUM 47UF 10% 35V RADIAL
    US1J-FDICT-ND US1J-13-F DIODE GEN PURP 600V 1A SMA
    565-3320-ND E36D451LPN222TDA5M CAP ALUM 2200UF 450V SCREW
    IXGN72N60A3-ND IXGN72N60A3 IGBT MOD 600V 160A 360W SOT227B

2nd order- just more top board items. (known HP7800A item too).
    Part Number Manufacturer Part Number Description
    516-2997-1-ND HCPL-7800A-500E IC OPAMP ISOLATION 1 CIRC 8DIPGW
    4N35SM-ND 4N35SM OPTOISO 4.17KV TRANS W/BASE 6SMD
    296-1388-1-ND LM311DR IC DIFF COMP STROBE 8-SOIC
    296-18454-1-ND LM339APWR IC QUAD DIFF COMPARATOR 14-TSSOP
    296-46105-1-ND LF411CDR IC OPAMP JFET 1 CIRCUIT 8SOIC
    LM431CIM/NOPB-ND LM431CIM/NOPB IC VREF SHUNT -0.6/+0.4% 8SOIC
    732-8848-1-ND 8.60021E+11 CAP ALUM 0.22UF 20% 50V RADIAL
    H11G2SR2MCT-ND H11G2SR2M OPTOISO 4.17KV DARL W/BASE 6SMD
    REF01CESA+-ND REF01CESA+ IC VREF SERIES 1% 8SOIC

So how to power-up test this thing? 98 Spindle Vector & drive PS.

Now that it's all back together, Can I power up w/o the Spindle and Motor Drive DC connected and get a reading? Hate to connect and make more of a mess? Anyone have a way they've done this?

Thinking just to connect the Spindle, and connect 1 drive (remove the DC red/black jumpers that connect the other drives) I have a thermal cam ready to go as well. We should know quickly if there are issues.

TIA - CG.