585,556 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > What is the best bit for cutting a pocket into a paving stone and engraving letters

What is the best bit for cutting a pocket into a paving stone and engraving letters

Hello all. I am making a "grave stone" for a pet that has past and I have been commissioned to create a grave stone for the garden. I will be creating a pocket to place a clay paw print in (about 2 1/2" in diameter) and putting a name and dates on it. Nothing real fancy. I have a lot of old 1/4" end mill CNC bits used for wood projects, but not sure if they will cut it. The pocket only needs to be about 1/2" deep and the letters 1/8" at the most. Will my old bits do the job or should I get a different bit for this? Thanks in advance for the help. Stacey

Re: What is the best bit for cutting a pocket into a paving stone and engraving lette

Paving stone - but what material?
    Many softer stones can be cut with (good) solid carbide. The cutter might not be useful for aluminium and plastic afterwards though.
    For harder stone, up to basalt (Mohr 9), you can use diamond cutters. They are not that expensive if bought from China or HK.
    A caution however if you do use diamond: the cutter must be covered in water or the diamonds will rip out. Either full flood or immersion.
    Attachment 435402
    High RPM are good, along with shallow cuts and low speed. Learn as you go.

Cheers