585,975 active members*
4,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dumb Question...

What's a gib? And is it pronounced jib or gibb(like Andy Gibb). I keep seeing the word, and I can't figure out the context.

Thanks
    Steve

A gib is a tapered, adjustable piece usually between the table and bed of a machine. It has a screw on the end of it to adjust it to take the slop out of the table.

Pronounced gib, hard g like in give.

What is it? It is a wedge shaped thing that is used to adjust the clearance in a dovetail slideway on a machine.

You have probaly seen lathe cross-slides: There is a dovetail way across the saddle and a matching dovetail slot in the cross-slide. The sides on the saddle way are parallel but the sides on the cross-slide way are not. One side is parallel to the direction of motion but the other side tapers slightly.

The taper is the same as that on the gib which is inserted in the gap. The sliding clearance depends on how far it is pushed in. Some gibs are adjusted with a bolt at each end, one pushing it in the other out. Actually it is the head of the bolt that bears against the gib. Other gibs have a single screw with the head in slot and the larger end of the gib so it can push and pull.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Ok, Excellent. I think get the gist of it. I don't think I have ever seen a gib, so I am going to look into it some more to see if I can get a good look at one. Thanks for you help!

Steve