585,752 active members*
4,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Controller networking

Hi All,
    Looking for some help getting my pcnc 1100's controller back on my network.

Background is, recently updated my main pc to windows 10 because of windows 7 end of life stuff. Prior to this I could connect to my mill controller just fine, with it's name showing as tormachpcnc.

For those that might not know, newer versions of window 10 did away with the home group method of networking. Now it's just called networking and the system is supposed to just discover everything hooked up by wifi or ethernet.

My pc "sees" the other windows machines on my network, but neither it nor the other windows machines sees the tormach controller.

My main questions is, I'm not sure if I should attack this from the windows 10 end or the controller end? Maybe it has to be both? I've thought that deleting the networking stuff on the controller and starting over might be a good start, but i really don't even know how to to that with linux systems.

A complicating factor it that on the main pc it does show a computer under networking that I can't access with a seemingly random name, "BRWD44B5EF773", not the old tormach's "TORMACHPCNC". This name only shows up on the main pc, but all the other windows machines were added after the original network which showed the controller.

Any help would be appreciated!

Terry

Re: Controller networking

I forgot to add that my controller is on line, I have the green internet light, good signal strength on the connection, and can get to the update site.

Terry

Tormach controller is Linux and won't generally be seen in Win 10 as a network device.

But you can still just type in its location into the file explorer. Make sure you put the two slashes in front:

\\tormachpcnc

you can create a shortcut to it or map a network drive letter to do.

you can also type in a more specific subfolder for your shortcut:

\\tormachpcnc\gcode

If it was networked before then the smb config file in PP should be ok. Assuming this then do the following

0: pp controller check spelling and or name the machine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	network3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	435652

Windows 10 computers
    1: Make sure SMB1 is on in the list in "Turn windows features on or off" in Windows 10.

Remember to reboot if you make changes to anything

2: Use file manager to open map a network drive window (folder needs to be same name you typed in pp controller for machine name
    Attachment 435648

3:User – WORKGROUP\operator
    Pass- pcnc

Attachment 435650

Copied this from notes file. Just did this for new machine so it was handy!
    So nice to drag and drop gcode files and also jpg pictures files of setups. fast to double click on setup picture in PP file directory and pop up picture for review and then load code and run

I just turned off SMB 1.0 support on my Win 10 machine which would be the default (I keep it on for other reasons in my shop) and I can still directly access my Tormach no problem.

It might depend on which software you are running on the mill, I don't keep track of what networking features various versions of Linux supports but I'm on PP 2.2.4 and it doesn't need SMB 1.0 installed on other network computers to see it.

First thanks everyone for the help.

I've tried the suggestions that Advil and MD gave me, but so far no joy. The results are somewhat confusing, the win 10 computers that I've tried say they cannot connect to the tormach, but when I ask for the dianostics, after churning for a while it says the tormach won't accept the connection a few spaces then the word detected then a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it. I really don't know if it sees the tormach contoller or not?

I'm beginning to think I have messed the entire network playing around with it. The windows machines show up under network and in the past I could access shared folders, but now when a select a computer I get a "you don't have permission to access" message.

I think i need to figure out a way to delete the entire network setup and start over.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    First thanks everyone for the help.

I've tried the suggestions that Advil and MD gave me, but so far no joy. The results are somewhat confusing, the win 10 computers that I've tried say they cannot connect to the tormach, but when I ask for the dianostics, after churning for a while it says the tormach won't accept the connection a few spaces then the word detected then a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it. I really don't know if it sees the tormach contoller or not?

I'm beginning to think I have messed the entire network playing around with it. The windows machines show up under network and in the past I could access shared folders, but now when a select a computer I get a "you don't have permission to access" message.

I think i need to figure out a way to delete the entire network setup and start over.

Terry

I was here a few months ago. Thought it was my network...….. Tried endless configs. What I listed above come direct from tormach tech support.

The key to my directions was that I assumed the smb config file on pp controller contained the correct info. I bet it needs a line or 2 edited.
    This requires you edit that file with an editor in Linux o.s. interface. Will see if I can send you what you need

If you are on PP 2.0 or higher try this thread also:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...4-tormach.html

SUCCESS!!!

I've tried the advice in the linked thread that Advil suggested above, the very first thing about security = share in the smb.conf file. That was what mine had, so I changed it to security = user as suggested and after re-booting the controller, it now works, I see the controller on my network and can access the gcode folder.

Thank you all, especially Advil for taking the time to help me solve this.

Terry