585,735 active members*
4,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > VM17 Spindle speed limited

VM17 Spindle speed limited

I have a 1997 VM17 with a Centurion 6 controller. I haven't used it for a long time as I moved house and now I have set it up (and renewed some parts to get it working) it has a problem (which is a problem I actually noticed just before I moved but I did nothing about at the time as life got in the way). Most things seem to work properly (homes properly, jogging each axis works etc) but the spindle won't go over about 630 rpm. If it is set at 600 it spins at around 600 but at any speed above that the display shows the right setting (S1000 or S2000 or whatever its set at) but the display then shows it is actually doing about 630 rpm and I can see it is in fact doing about 630 rpm. If I adjust the spindle % knob it has the same effect as changing the "S" setting. That is, if I set it at S2000 it goes 630 with the % at 100%. If I adjust it to 20% I get 400 rpm, if I move it to 30% I get 600 rpm but if I set it at 70% or above I always get about 630 rpm.

It amkes no difference whether or not I have a tool in the spindle and I have tried a number of things including reloading parameters but have had no luck.

I have searched the site (and the net) but, unlike every other problem I've ever had, I can't find any threads where anyone else has had this problem. Has anybody had a similar problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: VM17 Spindle speed limited

Sounds to me like the VFD isn't set right. I just had a similar problem with my Partner 1. The VFD had been replaced before I got it and they must not have set the max frequency, it was still at 60hz so my speeds were way off. It was supposed to be set at 170hz but this one only goes to 120. Anyhow if check that first.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Hi Ozfab, It could be the spindle drive settings, or it could be the machine parameters. or if you have a CSM 15HP 3 speed spindle then it could be control parameters, corrupt speed select macros, or a bad switching contactor.

what type of spindle drive do you have?

Sportybob

I got a PM from Ozfab, here was my reply.

You have a CSM spindle drive. It uses a series of contactors to switch between 3 spindle speeds. ( AUX electrical box mounted to the side of the electrical cabinet.) These contactors are operated by M codes for the 3 spindle speeds.
    M41 for low range, M42 for mid-range and M-43 for high range.

When programming a spindle speed, say S1000M3, the contactors should switch to “low range” through some control relays on “quad” relay boards. This should be “handled” by the Mcode macros.

If the mcode macros are not in the RAM directory then it will not know if / when to switch speeds.
    From the main menu; Go to F10 (util), F8 ( info), F6 (ram). It will show you the files that are located in the “RAM” directory., are the Mcode files there?

Do you have the machine electrical manual? It should be in a red folder, possibly in the back of the electrical panel?

What is the machine serial #? ( see the data plate on the back of the electrical cabinet.)
    It is possible that you have a 20HP 4 speed drive instead of a 3 speed. In which case the contactors are located inside of the spindle motor.

The spindle stop fault is most likely a blown fuse inside the drive, ( for the drive regen resistors) It is a MDL type glass fuse and should be readily available.

We will work with the email thing for now. As I am located in the central time zone in the US. GMT +8

Attached are 2 files , one for the 15HP 3 speed and one for the 20hp 4 speed.

Together we will get the problem solved.

sportybob

To all users: make a back up copy of your parameters!!!! It WILL make your life easier at some point.
    Insert a disk into the machine and press F7 (prams) F6 (save) takes 30 seconds.
    for SLS users press F10 (util) F10 (prams) F6 (save)

My Partner 1 that I bought a few months back has a similar problem. It did have custom macros for M3,M4, M41-43 in the RAM directory, but they were not listed on the custom macro list. I added them, but none of the outputs that control the speed ranges fire.

If I use SETY10, 11 or 12, I can get the spindle run appropriately. (along with SxxxxM3)

The outputs on the DIAG screen are labelled as "Output 10", etc. I would have expected something more descriptive.

None of the custom macro's make a call to set outputs, so I assume there is another routine in the control that takes care of that. The software appears to have been re-loaded last June. Maybe something happened then?

I suppose I can modify the macros to turn on Y outputs 10,11 or 12, but hopefully someone can offer a better solution.

Brad