586,000 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

slice command

I noticed someone mention a slice command and I have not been able to find it . Where is it located and how to use it please!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Slicer is a plugin for Rhino if your into boat hulls.
    http://www.rhinomarine3d.com/

Gary

Well that pretty well fixed me! I just don't think a guitar would look good shaped like a boat .......on the other hand wallcrawler wanted us to get outside of the box.......hmmm.

Gary will it work for any application? For instance......I make a solid of the guitar body that is too tall and lay the shape from the end and side view...would the slice command fix it...as in take out the uncessary solid above the profiles that were drawn for the end and side view?

Mike

.......did wallcrawler say out of the box or out of the boat

TRIM! Your looking for the trim comand. You can create a surface that slices thru your solid and then trim the solid on either side.

Gary

A solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trim1.jpg  

With a surface thru it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trim2.jpg  

Trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trim3.jpg  

Delete the surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trim4.jpg  

question - i am looking into a way to slice a 3d model into many thin layers to start work on some additive rapid prototyping experiments. i want to try and bring additive RP to the DIY lexicon. in addition to the flatbed gantry printing....

anyone know about slicing a 3d model into.. say.. .05" thick slices...
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

duluth I didn't need an egg! Ok give me a little bit and I will do a screen shot, I hope, to kinda show what if I understand or not.

edited: that was supposed to be "what or if"

vac check into the rapid prototyping arena. I think that is how they lay a plastic or wax prototype. It might just be what you are looking for. Way beyond my comprehension or understanding either .

Mike

Vac,

In Rhino you could the use splitting command. Create a surface that would cut to the extent of the object. Then use the array command to place the surface every .050. Then split. At that point you could pull out the individual segments.

Gary

Sorry Mike I didn't have a guitar.

Gary

The easiest way in rhino would be to use " section " on the " curve from objects toolbar ----or you can find it on the bottom of the curve dropdown menu . set your grid snaps to the distance that you want the section offsets to be . ---Sometimes I draw a construction line through the object that I'm trying to section and use the object snap set to " end " --You can ofset the construction line using the offset command to whatever distance you want and make multiple slice guide lines through the object . Using the construction line method the slices can be at any angle through the object that you want . One trick that I've found usefull for extracting frame sections from a boat hull is to set the current layer to the first frame , then create the first section . Then without exiting the " curve from object " command change the current layer to the second frame , create the next second station , etc . ---this way all of the sections can be put on their own layer . ----Layers are a powerfull tool get in the habit of using them . I use two monitors and keep the layer dialogue box expanded on the second screen .

Uh.....windsor thanks for the help but....what did you just say ? You just have to remember I am older than most here, brand new to Rhino and a redneck! I just barely have one moniter but I did actually see the need for two or more the other day while thrying to work on two drawings at the same time to do some comparisons. I actually have a friend doing this project for me but I am still wanting to know how to do it as well as all the other good stuff. I will try your method and see if I can get it to work for me.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I’m old to, so I know anyone can learn this. I have learned many things looking for solutions to questions from others. In your case I’m not sure we are going down the same track. Maybe an example would clear things up. Can you post a pic?

The process that Windsor describes is a very good way to extract section lines from a solid.

Vac,
    Below is some shots of a way to extract sections from a solid.

The object and splitting surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cone1.jpg  

Array the splitting surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cone2.jpg  

Split and seperate.
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cone3.jpg  

I have a jpeg , but I'm not sure how to attatch it ?

Use the "Post Reply", bottom right of the last post.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12