584,817 active members*
5,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Grinding > How do I grind/cut a 16 foot bedway ? Laser controlled bedway grinder ?

How do I grind/cut a 16 foot bedway ? Laser controlled bedway grinder ?

Not sure this is the right forum...

I need to build a custom CNC machine that has 16 feet of travel on one axis. I'll be using linear rails on this axis. How do I grind the bed that the linear rails are bolted to so that the bed is true ? There is no machine near me that could grind or cut a bed that long.

Is there such a thing as a laser controlled bed grinder ? Something that you bolt to both ends of a work piece and a laser guides a cutting tool up and down such that grinds a perfectly flat work piece ?

How do machine tool companies grind beds on machines larger than what they have ?

Thanks

Re: How do I grind/cut a 16 foot bedway ? Laser controlled bedway grinder ?

Quote Originally Posted by CNCAddict99 View Post

How do machine tool companies grind beds on machines larger than what they have ?

Thanks
    They don't. You need a machine large enough to set the whole machine or at least the section that you are working on. I don't know how the first big machines were done, but my guess was in sections and then hand scraped in. You don't really need to grind, milling would be accurate enough, but you still have to have a machine large enough to set the work. Maybe you can find someone with a big old planer, I have see a few that have been converted with milling heads, but the original configuration is also very accurate if the machine is level and set up properly. The bed on my router was milled where the rails attached, about 13 feet of it.

As far as I know, the ''portable'' grinder that you describe does not exist. Would not be impossible to build, but would be crazy expensive to get it right.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

The Heller Approach is considered to be one of the Best Acting Schools in Hollywood. All this instruction, all in one class for one low price. Compare us to competing acting schools in Hollywood where these subjects are separate, each at their own price point.

The fastest way to cut materials from wood and to almost any thickness is milling, limited only by the height of the portal,
    On a CNC milling machine, the cutting speed is, for example, 6 mm. milling cutter up to 12 meters per minute, in one pass the thickness is not more than 10 mm., subject to the components for the milling machine: a gear rack, rail guides, servo drives and a reliable frame design.