585,582 active members*
4,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

K40 China laser! How to engrave flat gemstones with it?

Hi Everyone! I bought this laser to engrave single word on a small flat gemstone like Amethyst, citrine, Agate.. is it any specific set up has to be made on a laser to be able to engrave? For now it’s able to handle just a wood and only raster engrave. Trying to work with inkscape and K40 whisperer. Thank you in advance for any answers!

Re: K40 China laser! How to engrave flat gemstones with it?

Not sure if you can etch those type jewels or not, I have etched glass with my K40. It is low power (3-4 mA if analog style K40) and a decent speed around 200 mm/sec if I remember correctly is what I ran. Focal distance is the key to the K40's I have found and I took out the bed that came with it and I am using a 4 x 4 lab lack to adjust the focal length to the lens in the head.

I have done pictures etc with it on tile, wood (still working on settings) and canvas. Cut 3mm birch plywood with ease once everything was aligned correctly. I am using Inkscape & K40 Whisperer also. I also use Gimp, Corel Draw for image processing before using Inkscape. There is another program floating around that is supposed to act like the next size up and is able to process photos better but I have yet to try it out.

Only thing I can say is to try it with low power and see how it goes if you can afford to lose some jewels with getting the settings right. Start low power and increase in small amounts till you get the desired look you want as it should be able to do it.