585,717 active members*
4,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach/Pathpilot - Improved Probing Features

Tormach/Pathpilot - Improved Probing Features

Hi Folks

Good to see Tormach have added some improved probing features. Please post your thoughts and experiences in this thread.

Here is a video to start the ball rolling: Cheers Cliff

Re: Tormach/Pathpilot - Improved Probing Features

The routine for finding the A axis centre has changed from starting at the top to starting at the side,they both seem to give the same result.I preferred it starting at the top.
    On my machine after it has finished if you press find Z the answer you get is not equal to the radius of the bar that was measured and the error is not quite equal to the radius of the probe so not quite sure what is going on there.The probe gives the result you would expect for everything else.

FWIW, I'm a happy customer of the ITTP.
    I've crashed it a few times, but more importantly, I once started the spindle with the probe in and wire connected, and although I was fast on the E-stop, it still wrapped the cable tight on it.
    It survived and still works fine, after re-adjusting.
    Thanks Cliff for a robust tool!

The ITTP is my absolute favourite tool for the Tormach. Watched this yesterday and I enjoyed the updates in PathPilot too.

If you are shopping probes, one to consider is the Drewtronics probe. The TTS version is about a third the price of the ITTP and and I am sure just as accurate. I've never crashed mine so I can not say how crash resistant it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ally-g View Post
    The routine for finding the A axis centre has changed from starting at the top to starting at the side,they both seem to give the same result.I preferred it starting at the top.
    On my machine after it has finished if you press find Z the answer you get is not equal to the radius of the bar that was measured and the error is not quite equal to the radius of the probe so not quite sure what is going on there.The probe gives the result you would expect for everything else.
    I know there was a Pathpilot A axis probing routine issue in the past but thought that was reported and sorted long ago. Sounds like it is still with us.

So you are saying it finds the middle of the part in the Y, but the Z is out and you need to re probe the Z with an additional Z probe routine to set it correctly?

You probably know Tormach have a Pathpilot issue reporting page on their website.

Thanks for your feedback on this. Cliff