585,942 active members*
3,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > Best $10K CNC (bed) mill with ATC for general shop use ?

Best $10K CNC (bed) mill with ATC for general shop use ?

What is the best $10K CNC (bed) mill with ATC for general shop use ?

We'll use it to run small batches of parts, like less than a dozen. We'll probably run it naked so that it is easier to get at the bed for set up.

I understand that $10K will probably be an older machine. We have in house capability to rebuild it and update the controls in our spare time.

Our longest part would probably be 18".

Should we be looking for a steel ways or rails and trucks ?

Re: Best $10K CNC (bed) mill with ATC for general shop use ?

I think you could go to Ebay and just pick one. Brand is not that important. The Fadal you mention in your other thread would be fine, a few months ago you could have picked up a 4020 locally here for about $1500, a completely running machine in good condition. As long as the machine has been maintained and well lubricated and not beaten to death then you can't go too wrong. The industrial machines are built to run. There are a lot of machines out there that can be had for scrap price or less. The only machines that I know of that use rails & trucks are Haas machines, there may be others but I'm not familiar with them. My personal preference would be box ways, very stable.

I don't know if power is an issue for you, but something to keep in mind when purchasing. Don't buy a machine with a spindle larger than you can comfortably run on your available shop power.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks for the advice.

I worry about box rails because they might be hard to true up if they are worn ? Hand scrape ? Some of the Fadals have rails and trucks.

I would have been very interested in that 4020 ! Let me know if you ever come across something else.

There is a Trak DPM3 in really rough shape locally. Seems perfect for spindle power ( 3HP), weight (4,000 pounds) travel, etc. It's a bed machine. And the price is right. Should I go for it ?

Quote Originally Posted by CNCAddict99 View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I worry about box rails because they might be hard to true up if they are worn ? Hand scrape ? Some of the Fadals have rails and trucks.

I would have been very interested in that 4020 ! Let me know if you ever come across something else.

There is a Trak DPM3 in really rough shape locally. Seems perfect for spindle power ( 3HP), weight (4,000 pounds) travel, etc. It's a bed machine. And the price is right. Should I go for it ?
    I wouldn't buy one with visibly worn ways. Too much hassle to fix, but yes they could be hand scraped.

Well, you say ''rough shape''. That raises a red flag, but define ''rough''. If the ways are OK and have been kept well lubed then you are probably OK. Check for the normal maintenance items: spindle noise, excessive backlash in the ball screws, wear on the ways, tabel beat to hell. How a machine looks is many times not that important, but can be an indicator of overall maintenance. Dead controls is a plus in my book, and dramatically reduces the machine's value. Controls are the cheap part to fix or replace. If you can't see it run then that also reduces the value because all you can do is make an educated guess at the mechanical condition.

So go inspect the machine and if you think it is mechanically OK, then drag it home.

A friend of mine bought both of those Fadals from where he works. They were making aircraft parts the day before they were pulled out of service and he was the machinist on them. They were replaced with two high speed Brother machines. He took them home and put them right back to work in a little less demanding application.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA