585,712 active members*
4,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Laser beam is too thick (CO2, 80W, Galvo)

Hello, we have 80W galvo laser using F-theta 210x210mm lens. I am facing problem with details. we were using plotter based engraver (K40) before. they made really good job but its plotter based so speed is limited. as we grown to bigger company we start to find better and faster solution. so we bought galvo head based machine BUT we have problem with engraving (we are engraving to the wood). The engraving is not sharp as the engraving on our previous K40 lasers. You can find the photo of results of both in attachements. The first thing which i was thought is wrong is focal lenght. but we mesuare it and we have right focal point (300mm from lens to surface, but ofc we tried a lot of disctances but never achieve good results)
    We are using EZcad software and a tried a lot of HATCH settings sometimes i had better results sometimes it was really horrible. Biggest difference is that we never get sharp edges on galvo like we made on K40 engraver before and also details is big problem.
    When i made just simple thin line (i set it to made the thinnest as possible) on both machines, the line made by our new galvo laser made it maybe 2 times thicker than K40 laser.
    So i am thinkint if there . can be problem with lens or galvo head or output of beam from tube is too thick ?

Can you anybody help where can be a problem ?

Thank you for any help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200115_164902.jpg   IMG_20200115_164940.jpg  

Re: Laser beam is too thick (CO2, 80W, Galvo)

Quote Originally Posted by Suffokate View Post
    Hello, we have 80W galvo laser using F-theta 210x210mm lens. I am facing problem with details. we were using plotter based engraver (K40) before. they made really good job but its plotter based so speed is limited. as we grown to bigger company we start to find better and faster solution. so we bought galvo head based machine BUT we have problem with engraving (we are engraving to the wood). The engraving is not sharp as the engraving on our previous K40 lasers. You can find the photo of results of both in attachements. The first thing which i was thought is wrong is focal lenght. but we mesuare it and we have right focal point (300mm from lens to surface, but ofc we tried a lot of disctances but never achieve good results)
    We are using EZcad software and a tried a lot of HATCH settings sometimes i had better results sometimes it was really horrible. Biggest difference is that we never get sharp edges on galvo like we made on K40 engraver before and also details is big problem.
    When i made just simple thin line (i set it to made the thinnest as possible) on both machines, the line made by our new galvo laser made it maybe 2 times thicker than K40 laser.
    So i am thinkint if there . can be problem with lens or galvo head or output of beam from tube is too thick ?

Can you anybody help where can be a problem ?

Thank you for any help

If you graduated from K40 I kind of doubt that you have 80W galvo laser, from my understanding, on eBay CO2 galvo made in China - do a search - galvo co2 - are 10G for 30W, and 12G and 19G for 60W witn made an offer. Anyway, Chinese laser have resolution of Ftheta 210mm 55um, where keyence have 5um for 300mm, around 11 times better. power is not the problem, your focus as well as mainly lens is the problem. If you are laser marking iphone cases why you did not go with keyence from ebay with the generous discount of 30G from the original price, on gently used co2 from keyence. Now you will have to live with this. Either try new lens or buy galvo laser with much better resolution. You can mail me a piece or material you are working on/with and I will be happy to provide you marking results from keyecne co2 2um resolution as well as 5um marking resolution. and this is wood marking by 12 years old co2 galvo keyence
    and the same - exactly the same galvo co2 12 years old in pcb production
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsr1_JkvMiY in production line for your electronics.
    Kind Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by keyencelaser View Post
    If you graduated from K40 I kind of doubt that you have 80W galvo laser, from my understanding, on eBay CO2 galvo made in China - do a search - galvo co2 - are 10G for 30W, and 12G and 19G for 60W witn made an offer. Anyway, Chinese laser have resolution of Ftheta 210mm 55um, where keyence have 5um for 300mm, around 11 times better. power is not the problem, your focus as well as mainly lens is the problem. If you are laser marking iphone cases why you did not go with keyence from ebay with the generous discount of 30G from the original price, on gently used co2 from keyence. Now you will have to live with this. Either try new lens or buy galvo laser with much better resolution. You can mail me a piece or material you are working on/with and I will be happy to provide you marking results from keyecne co2 2um resolution as well as 5um marking resolution. and this is wood marking by 12 years old co2 galvo keyence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Ij4362gUc&t=7s
    and the same - exactly the same galvo co2 12 years old in pcb production
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsr1_JkvMiY in production line for your electronics.
    Kind Regards.
    Hello,
    We were not taking it from ebay but directly from china. We have there stocks and agents. You are talking about synrad metal tubes galvo lasers. They are much more expensive. You can buy 80W galvo laser with glass tube around 3-5G. Can you tell me which lens can be better for thinner beam size? You can also give me your email to send me offer. Thanks

set up google voice, you will be able to disconnect it and provide it here I will call you and provide you explanations and routes.
    After I did research on your set up it is not even what I was expecting, not 50um it is 270um -380um, depending what/which lens you have, just horrible.
    Scan Lenses, f-theta lenses for CO2 Lasers
    this is why you have a problem.The hybrid you have - lens is the problem.
    Keyence lens F0 theta for field 300mm x 300mm 5um is 1000.00 alone.
    what is your google voice number or email me to keyencelasers gmail
    Kind Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by keyencelaser View Post
    set up google voice, you will be able to disconnect it and provide it here I will call you and provide you explanations and routes.
    After I did research on your set up it is not even what I was expecting, not 50um it is 270um -380um, depending what/which lens you have, just horrible.
    Scan Lenses, f-theta lenses for CO2 Lasers
    this is why you have a problem.The hybrid you have - lens is the problem.
    Keyence lens F0 theta for field 300mm x 300mm 5um is 1000.00 alone.
    what is your google voice number or email me to keyencelasers gmail
    Kind Regards.
    Hello, thank you for all your advices. Our lens 10,6um as you can see on picture. Please write me on my whatsapp anytime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191206_091722.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by altpartsinc View Post
    At the time of engraving non-metal materials like wood, acrylic, paperboard, leather, denim, and other materials, the CO2 laser technology is the most common option. However, this technology divided into two different types of machines, one is the CO2 laser galvanometer technology, and the other is the CO2 laser CNC technology.

"non-metal materials like wood, acrylic, paperboard, leather, denim, and other materials" in laser co2 technology and non contrasts marking world are simply called organic materials

and what is "CO2 laser galvanometer technology,"
    and what is "the other is the CO2 laser CNC technology"
    Can you explain deeper and expand on this highly educated statement and how it is related to quality of the marking or other words resolution of marking organic materials
    Kind Regards.

I can believe what the keyence colleague say, I have only some experience with ezcad; but, do you have checked advanced properties of the pen you use ? maybe you have the wobble option checked or something similar ...

If you are using EZCAD software, it is better to contact the developer of EZCAD software https://www.chineselaser.com/