585,555 active members*
3,435 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Help on best route for a 4x8 cnc machine -$10,000 budget
Page 1 of 2 12

Help on best route for a 4x8 cnc machine -$10,000 budget

I'm looking to build a 4x8 CNC machine either from a DIY kit or purchase one outright. I'm looking at all kinds of websites and getting more and more confused. CNC routerparts, Joes, etc. I'm mechanically inclined have alot of tools (including a welder) and am willing to tackle any project. I'd love to build the machine myself but i am concerned that in the end I'll have invested thousands of dollars and have a mediocre machine (especially with respect to accuracy).

Any help would be SINCERELY appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by proftj View Post
    I'm looking to build a 4x8 CNC machine either from a DIY kit or purchase one outright. I'm looking at all kinds of websites and getting more and more confused. CNC routerparts, Joes, etc. I'm mechanically inclined have alot of tools (including a welder) and am willing to tackle any project. I'd love to build the machine myself but i am concerned that in the end I'll have invested thousands of dollars and have a mediocre machine (especially with respect to accuracy).

Any help would be SINCERELY appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    I was in same boat as you and decided on a mechmate. I just posted a new build thread before you. I'm using linear rails instead of the v rails. Access to the plans cost 100usd but definitely worth it. It's highly customizable. Good luck

Are you done and started using it?

Are you done and started using it?
    No. I just finished base table. See the post right before yours in this sub forum

Re: Help on best route for a 4x8 cnc machine -$10,000 budget

Are there other builds that I should consider???

Why not find a used industrial class machine. something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multicam-CN...kAAOSwkMNeOXn4 This one is a little expensive, but I just did a quick search.

Run until the controls fail then do a full controls retrofit on it. These particular machines are very easy to retrofit, there are others out there that are similar.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I'd be willing to consider doing this in fact it would be a great option. Are there any good posts on control retrofitting so I could understand what i would be getting into both in terms of complexity and cost?

Many posts on the subject scattered throughout CNCZone. But in general cost is less than starting from scratch as you would do when building a machine from the ground up. Half of the stuff you would need to buy is already on the machine, limit switches, sensors, a lot of wiring, electrical enclosure, much other hardware. As far as complexity, again no more so than building a control from the ground up as you would do if building your own machine.

In the case of the machine I linked to, those controllers use step & direction control, so you can replace the control and keep the motors & drives, or replace the motors & drives and keep the control in any combination you want. That particular machine is driven by NEMA 34 motors, could be steppers or servos. But compatible with what you would normally build anyway.

Not sure if I explained that well. But the bottom line is normally much less costly and simpler than building from the ground up.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks Jim and yes I understand what you're getting at. Would you be able to tell me if it would be possible to run this machine with a phase converter? I would be setting it up in my garage which has a 100 amp panel. I don't know much about 3ph except that i dont have it LOL and i know there are phase converters. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I do really appreciate your advice and dont want to come off the wrong way. I've been soaking up information from a ton of threads and slowly some of it is making sense (i believe).

I'm always happy to offer advice where possible.

Again, that particular machine may run on single phase or 3 phase, or be 3 phase only. Two of those that I installed, had a wiring connection diagram for both 3 and single phase. I installed them with a rotary phase converter and ran them on 3 phase fed by a 240V 100 amp feed to the shop. I was running both machines off of a single RPC. I think they had 7.5 HP spindles.

I ran my 4x8 on single phase, but I remove the 12 HP 3 phase spindle and replaced it with a 7518 Porter Cable router spindle because I was limited on power.

Yes, absolutely possible to run on a RPC.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Look at the Centroid Acorn website for info on retrofitting that machine. That would be easier than building one and a stronger machine that a kit machine.
    Another option to look at is buying a Chinese machine. I bought mine out of Chicago. $6800 for a 4x8 machine, 4th axis rotary and dust collector. I yanked out the pirated Mach3 stuff and replaced it with the Acorn board with a license for around $400 then replaced the 3Kw spindle with a 3Kw ATC spindle with 7 tool holders for around $1700. All in I am easily under $10k and have a really good machine. If you think about doing it that way let me know and I'll tell you who I bought from. I've had my machine for almost 1 1/2 years now and love it. It took awhile to figure out how to retrofit it but if you were going DIY you'd have to learn that anyway.

If you go the used industrial route, make sure you can get it in your garage, or wherever you'll be putting it. It could way 3000-5000 lbs or more, and may require riggers to move it.

Other than that, the CNCRP (Avid CNC) is going to be the best bang for the buck for a new machine. The current versions of the Joe's machines use CNCRP parts, and are similar, but it'll be more work getting the parts, and you'll need to fabricate, or have fabricated, some of the main structural parts.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Good advice on the garage and weight. I have 9ft wide doors and should be able to figure out how to get it inside.

If I had $10,000 cash outright then a used indutrial machine would be a good choice. It's going to save you a lot of time and often they come with great features.
    I would have gone that route probably but didn't have that much money available. I'm building from scratch because I can pay for it in smaller chunks. Obviously the more disciplined could just save!

LOL - Define "have". I'm going to need to borrow the money but I want to start off with a good setup from day 1 and not waste $ getting there.

LOL - Define "have". I'm going to need to borrow the money but I want to start off with a good setup from day 1 and not waste $ getting there.
    That changes the equation a bit. Is this machine for a hobby or a machine that must pay it's own way?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

If you are borrowing, only go used IF its from a reputable dealer with a warranty of some sort. You don't want a machine at the end of its life that you are then paying monthly to sit there doing nothing,

A good 4x8 is tough under 10k. most of the 10k used machines have obsolete controls and horrific repair costs when drives and electronics give up the ghost. Also note that almost all of these use 3 phase power. Most of the "new" industrial-ish grade 4x8's under 10k are direct from china and a little bit of a mystery buy.

I can tell you this. The maker space I am a member at bought a used indutrial machine for around 6k one year ago and have now spent a year fixing everything broken with it. The linear rails were shot and the controls were antiquated. The motors have all been replaced and I'm sure they will end up changing the spindle at this point.
    Like I said, used industrial can be a good option, but the thought of financing one would be beyond my risk tolerance.
    Also consider the cost of shipping/rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Panovak View Post
    Also consider the cost of shipping/rigging.
    this cost could add up to a substantial amount. and the over all height of the door on your building is probably just as important as the width. residential doors are not very high. when i built my building 25 years ago the 8 foot door was the highest door you could get before you got into the commercial doors. so a standard door is probably only 7 foot at best. machine height is a factor but also the height of the equipment needed to move it around needs to be considered.

one other thing to consider would be the landscape around your house. if you on a hill side then things are going to be much more difficult than if your a nice flat and level lot.

and another thing is a machine with 4' x 8' work space is going to have a lager foot print than the work space.

Wow you guys are all great and I appreciate all the advice and feedback you are giving me. With respect to hobby vs. business the short answer is both. I do want to generate enough to pay off the machine but I have a good job and can afford for that to take some time. I started an embroidery business 3 yrs ago and just now am out of the red (well still technically lost $18 last year). I am viewing this as an investment that I can learn (hobby part) and incorporate products to sell (business part). I guess the real answer is I'd like to eventually use for business products. I am seriously looking at the AKM 1325 CNC Router that Milo mentioned above with new guts and a toll changer. It would get me a new machine with some industrial features for under $10k. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12