585,591 active members*
2,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 16B data server retrofit

Is it possible to retrofit a data server to a 16B(I think) control? I have a mid 90s MV40 with 20,000rpm spindle, 64 bit RISC HPCC board, and only 512k of memory. The high speed machining book that came with the machine claims it has 180 block look ahead, I am not sure this is true or not but it does run pretty fast and smooth for a old machine. But I am drip feeding through the rs232 with a USB adapter to run any high speed paths. It can’t get the code through the rs232 fast enough feed the machine.

I did a test and loaded as much of a high speed program in the memory as it would hold, running at 300IPM and it actually was running fairly smooth, probably wasn’t getting 300IPM, but it didn’t look bad. Ran same exact program through drip feed and it was obviously slower and choppy and I timed it and it took twice as long, and probably would have been worse if program would have been longer, literally only had enough memory to run 2 seconds of code.
    So I am pretty convinced the high speed function is working pretty good and can really eat some code if the machine had a way to feed it, hence the data server would be perfect... is there any chance a 16i board data server board could be retrofit somehow?

Re: Fanuc 16B data server retrofit

The Data Server function is available on your controller. I recommend contacting Fanuc directly as they have to provide software in the controller as well as the hardware. You most likely will have to have the executive software upgraded as well.

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    The Data Server function is available on your controller. I recommend contacting Fanuc directly as they have to provide software in the controller as well as the hardware. You most likely will have to have the executive software upgraded as well.

I did reach out to Fanuc by email, we will see what they say. I did some more digging on my machine to try to identify my control better and I pulled my main cpu board and it had board number A16B-2200-0900, which according to a chart (I attached a picture of it below) I found on Memex memory upgrade site says it is a 16A. Guessing that might not be good.... because I also noticed that Memex offers a memory upgrade for A, B, C controls, but the A is different. It has to be upgraded through the rs-232 and the B and C can upgraded using a pcmcia card right on the side of the cpu board supposedly. So I am guessing the A control is older and makes this even trickier or impossible?

4K USD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tuanpq View Post
    4K USD

What is 4K?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmachine View Post
    What is 4K?
    Fanuc 16B upgrade data server option price

We are a manufacturer, not a reseller, of memory upgrades. Memex is not an authorised reseller of our products.
    That is indeed a 16A control, with a nominal 'max' usable memory of 512k, which you have. Running a program tends to be faster than dnc; running off a server may not materially improve your execution speed.
    Fanuc actually has a 2Mbyte memory option; we never developed this because of little demand.

I talked to Fanuc today and it turns out my machine has a remote buffer option board mounted beside the RISC board with 2 Honda ports one for rs232 and one for rs422. Said my machine has the time arameters unlocked to run the standard r232 buffer. He told me to plug my existing cable coming from the control panel to the connection on the option board instead of the cpu board where it is connected currently and got to change some settings on the control as well... guess we will see how it goes... it also has an option for a high speed buffer (which maybe I will need) but isn’t currently unlocked I assume that would be the 422 connection??

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmachine View Post
    I talked to Fanuc today and it turns out my machine has a remote buffer option board mounted beside the RISC board with 2 Honda ports one for rs232 and one for rs422. Said my machine has the time arameters unlocked to run the standard r232 buffer. He told me to plug my existing cable coming from the control panel to the connection on the option board instead of the cpu board where it is connected currently and got to change some settings on the control as well... guess we will see how it goes... it also has an option for a high speed buffer (which maybe I will need) but isn’t currently unlocked I assume that would be the 422 connection??
    Fanuc 16 high speed buffer option price: 2k2 USD

Does the Fanuc high speed buffer work well for running high speed machining code?

I don't see a 'high speed buffer' option in my option list: do you have a Fanuc order #?

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    I don't see a 'high speed buffer' option in my option list: do you have a Fanuc order #?
    I attached a picture of my board that I believe is the buffer,
    A16B-2200-0913 is number that was on it, I also attached a picture of one for sale... Fanuc told me to try the standard buffer board I have first and see how it works and talk to mori about the option for high speed, not sure what all was involved for the high speed upgrade, if just a parameter bit or other changes as well. I am guessing I would need to connect to the rs 422 by reading the high speed book from mori with my machine, but not sure, haven’t got that far yet

I'm not sure why it has to be a RS422 connection; afaik the main difference between RS232 and RS422 is that RS422 allows higher speeds, but that may not be your issue. used for