584,812 active members*
5,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turret indexing

Hi,
    I am just new in industry arena apology first if anyone go offended.. actually I am bit new in cnc line and while programming in fanuc oitf, at the tool call in program or mdi mode.... it goes to home position first to rotate the turret and bring the tool called in the front... which wastes about 2 to 3 seconds per tool.... is there any way that I could stop the turret to travel to its home position or refrence point and index it at the required safe position where I want..... any help would be really appreciated...

Thanks
    Rishi

Re: Turret indexing

I think you can set the G53 to choose a safe tool change position. See the G53 documentation for exact format for your system.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

If the turret is going all the way home without you doing anything more then running T0600 for example, then it's likely that the home position move is part of a Tool Change Macro. Look for a 9000 series program in your directory. You may have to set a parameter in order to see 8000-9000 programs and edit them. If you have no 9000 series program handling your turret rotation, then the turret rotation is probably controlled by the PMC. If that's the case then there is little you can do about it.

If you find a 9000 series tool change program, write it down for safe keeping before changing it. You'll have to use your own knowledge and skills to determine what to do about it.

Sometimes there are also inhibit areas set in the control by parameter, but they shouldn't send the turret home without asking. They would only inhibit it from turning while in an inhibit zone. Usually inhibit zones are way up close to the chuck.

I'm not super smart on lathes. Mr. Dawson above may be on to something, although I don't think G53 is the code for what He's after. There may be a way to change what the control thinks is home. Though I wonder if this will also effect your Work Coordinate Settings and/or Tool Offsets.

The work coordinate system(s) is normally set with G54 - G59. But normally just G54 on a lathe. The G53 on a lathe is roughly equivalent to a ''Safe Z'' position on a mill or router. This is standard G code on a Haas lathe, and my lathe. Called before a tool change. This eliminates the need to account for tool offsets because the move is absolute coordinates.

But I'm not sure about a Fanuc system, I can't find my old Fanuc book.

Here is an example of a known good code snippet from my lathe.

N14 G53 (send carriage to a safe location, pre-defined absolute coordinates)
    (I think this can be written as G53 Xnnn.nnn Znnn.nnn also to set the position on the fly)
    (Face1)
    N15 T303 (change tool)
    N16 G98
    N17 M22
    N18 G97 S420 M3
    N19 G54 (invoke WCS again)
    N20 M8
    N21 G0 X2.73 Z-0.016
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

G53 Z in Fanuc lathe or mill is relative to the Machine Coordinate System. Meaning G53Z0X0 is the same as Machine Home. (Z0X0) So any safe setting of the turret if not Z0X0, is going to be a negative number like X-3.Z-3. as an example. To be honest off the top of my head, I don't know if G53 considers any offset if present in the "Shift" register on Fanuc controls that moves all Work Coordinates (G54-G59) globally.

Anyway... I think you're still missing the point. From what the OP says, I think he's saying his machine doesn't care at all what pre-stageing or safe zone setting you do before a turret/tool call. Seems any Tool Command like your example T303, is still going to send the machine all the way home, regardless of where it is when the tool call comes. That's the excess movement he's trying to not have to suffer through. He already mentioned where he'd like to put it instead. I could be wrong about this, but the fact that it also happens in MDI makes me think I'm right, because in that instance he's not doing any G28 kind of things typical of sending something home. Wouldn't think so anyway.

rishrocks... how about chiming in on this? Set me/us straight! :-)

Yes the_gentlegiant, that's what I am about just on calling tool number it refrence without doing anything...I will look into macros today...its not about g53... it alwsys goes home position. thank you for your reply.....

Thanks for everyone's particpation will look today and keep updated
    Last edited by rishirocks001rk; 02-12-2020 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_gentlegiant View Post

Anyway... I think you're still missing the point. From what the OP says, I think he's saying his machine doesn't care at all what pre-stageing or safe zone setting you do before a turret/tool call......

rishrocks... how about chiming in on this? Set me/us straight! :-)
    You could be correct. If that's the case then I'm not sure how to fix it.

I watched an old video of my lathe running on the Fanuc control, it doesn't seem to have retracted to 0,0 when it did a tool change. But for the life of me, I have no idea what the machine settings were or what the G code looked like. It could be that the machine coordinate system was not the same as the absolute coordinate system. With my new control, there is only absolute coordinates (home 0,0) and work coordinates, the MCS does not exist as such. I wish I could find my Fanuc book.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by rishirocks001rk View Post
    Yes the_gentlegiant, that's what I am about just on calling tool number it refrence without doing anything...I will look into macros today...its not about g53... it alwsys goes home position. thank you for your reply.....

Thanks for everyone's particpation will look today and keep updated
    Rishrocks
    Can you post a snippet of the program you are using

JOG MODE IS USE FOR TURRET INDEXING
    JOG mode is also called jogging mode. In this mode, the CNC machine is used to operate manually. This mode is used to make the CNC machine much faster. In this mode, the CNC machine carriage can be travel. This the mode is used to manually perform the Mainly Three function;

1) Movement of Axis
    2) Tool Indexing
    3) Spindle rotation.

https://www.hdknowledge.com/2020/04/...de-in-cnc.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JOG.JPG