584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Leadshine Mx4660 Help

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of trying to setup home/limit switches on my G0704 mill. I'm using the following proximity switches:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As per the instructions, I had the 12v output on the MX jumper-ed to the Opto1 and Opto2 pins and wired the sensors. The LEDs on the proxys weren't lighting up so i disconnected them and tested them with a 12V battery. They seemed to be working so I checked the pins on the MX between the 12v out and the grnd pins. I am not getting 12V here, so my question is am I overlooking something?

This is the wiring diagram I have been using:
    http://www.americanmotiontech.com/Up...ion/MX4660.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

Re: Leadshine Mx4660 Help

Did you get the NPN or PNP's? The link has both.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I just double checked the invoice and they are PNP switches.

It is a sinking connection. Are you testing this on a bench?
    Let me back up.
    Is the machine operational now without limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    It is a sinking connection. Are you testing this on a bench?
    Let me back up.
    Is the machine operational now without limits?
    Yes, machine is operational without the switches. I tested the switches on the bench with a 12v car battery just to see if the LEDs would activate when a metal object came close (which they do).

When I hook them up to the machine, I couldn't get the LEDs to light up so I moved to checking to see if i had 12v at the mx4660 and i do not.

It will require a separate power supply to power the switches.

The MX4660 is suppose to have a 12vOUT that can be used to power these switches directly no? From the diagram I linked in the first post it shows the power supply as optional.

The power supply is required for your switches. If you were using mechanical switches an additional power supply wouldnt be needed. Leadshines manuals are confusing in my opinion. I have a 3660 with proximity switches.

Ok thanks. I'll order a power supply this week and try again! Thanks for help.

Quote Originally Posted by janz99 View Post
    Ok thanks. I'll order a power supply this week and try again! Thanks for help.
    Dont forget Amazon if you use them.
    DIN rail power supply for less than 20 bucks next day most likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP, if you are doing coolant avoid the style like the red sensors in your link. They aren't sealed, and the plastic doesn't do will will coolant. They become brittle and literally fall apart after a while.

I have had much better luck with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-TL-Q5M...72.m2749.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    OP, if you are doing coolant avoid the style like the red sensors in your link. They aren't sealed, and the plastic doesn't do will will coolant. They become brittle and literally fall apart after a while.

I have had much better luck with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-TL-Q5M...72.m2749.l2649
    OK thanks for the heads up. I am using the blue PNP version in the link I posted. I will see how they last, if they start to deteriorate i'll need to order something else.

I managed to get everything wired up and the switches are functioning (red light comes on when metal comes close). I have activated homing within mach3 and setup the pins and ports as shown below. The problem is, the machine doesn't stop when the switch is made. I'm guessing that my pins and ports are not correct for the MX4660 or ESS smooth stepper? I have x,y,z on input 1, 2 and 3 on the MX. Anyone with experience with setting this up, if you could have a look, it would be greatly appreciated.

I should also mention, I only have one ribben cable coming from the mx to the ess. From what I can see I will need to add a second ribben cable for input 3 to connect to the ess?

After reading through the manual again last night for the MX4660, I found the missing link. It looks like the pin/port configuration should be pins 10, 11, 12 (for x,y, z limit switches) all on port #1. This also correlates with the smooth stepper documentation that shows pins 10-13 on port 1 as dedicated inputs. I'll try changing that tonight and see if it works, I'm just not sure if i need to set these switches as active high or low?

Once I get it working i'll post a picture of my settings for anyone else to use in the future.

Slowly im getting closer.......

-Ryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

It's been quite a while now since I've used an ESS, but doesn't it have an input page where you see which port/pin is being switched? If so, all you have to do is active your proximity switches, watch the inputs screen, and you'll see what port/pin are being activated by your switches. Then you make the necessary changes to get your homing to setup. Alternatively look at the ESS manual and figure out what port you have your MX4660 plugged into, the ESS has three ports I believe.

I'm not sure what you mean as far as "input 3" and the extra ribbon cable, are you talking about adding another BOB? If so, yes, you will need an addition ribbon cable.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    It's been quite a while now since I've used an ESS, but doesn't it have an input page where you see which port/pin is being switched? If so, all you have to do is active your proximity switches, watch the inputs screen, and you'll see what port/pin are being activated by your switches. Then you make the necessary changes to get your homing to setup. Alternatively look at the ESS manual and figure out what port you have your MX4660 plugged into, the ESS has three ports I believe.

I'm not sure what you mean as far as "input 3" and the extra ribbon cable, are you talking about adding another BOB? If so, yes, you will need an addition ribbon cable.
    I originally thought that the 3rd input of the mx4660 was outputted on the 26pin ribbon cable port 2. This was incorrect, inputs 1, 2 and 3 are all on the same cable and assigned output 10, 11, 12 (port 1). On the ESS side, yes i have confirmed I have the cable plugged into port #1. So everything on the mx and ess are both on port #1.

I will look and see if there is something in the ESS configuration program for setting up pins/ports. That would be very handy if there is.

-Ryan