585,987 active members*
4,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc O-M All axis giving incorrect measurement

Fanuc O-M All axis giving incorrect measurement

This is a MyCenter 1 that has been working perfectly. I went to start a new part and located X and Y zero with an .200 edge finder when I did a visual location check I found both axis moved only less than the indicated amount. (should have moved .100 but only moved about .040) this was true in both axis. I placed a 12 inch scale on the X axis and used a pointer in the spindle and moved the machine the full 12 inches, the CRT showed that I had moved 30.5 inches. I placed a 1 inch indicator on all three axis and made an equal move, and each axis moved the same amount which was about 30% less than what was indicated on the screen. The machine will always show zero when I do a return home. I have checked all the parameters with the original manufacture list and all were correct. I have searched every where I could and can not find any one else reporting this problem. So right now the machine is down.

Re: Fanuc O-M All axis giving incorrect measurement

Quote Originally Posted by Goosed View Post
    This is a MyCenter 1 that has .... So right now the machine is down.
    By your descriptions it seems that your machine is setup in cm.( centimeters) that's why you moved 12 in. and it shows 30.5; 12 in x 25.4 (convertion rate) equals to 304.8 mm or 30.48 cm.

Thank You mariojl for your reply. You were correct with your answer my machine was reading in CM how it got there I don't know. I had checked everything. I tried G20 then G21 and back again but that didn't help me get back to inches. I checked the parameters and all was correct. I finely contacted Fanuc who spent quit a while with me and they were stomped so they said as a last resort go to the last bit in parameter 0001 and change it from a 1 to a 0 which I did and then the machine started to read in inches. This didn't make sense because the Fanuc manual stated that by making this change it would make the machine read in mm not inches, so the book was wrong in my case. At this point the machine is working but who knows why.

Inch / metric conversion is a PAID option from Fanuc. If you do NOT have that option turned on then you are stuck in either metric or inch based on the setting of SCW parameter. Alot of parameters are dependent on the setting of this parameter. If you have a backup copy of how this machine was running before. I would compare the SCW parameter to your backup copy.