Hi,

Long time reader, first post! Have enjoyed reading this forum for many years.

I am looking to build a machine for specific duties and one-off jobs. Majority will be 6061, but occasionally acrylic and possibly steel. Aluminium parts are generally 800x80x30mm in size.

I currently have a retrofitted Bridgeport running steppers and LinuxCNC. It was a great learning experience, but it isn't suited to my current needs. I am looking to build something that can handle the high feed rate 3d tool paths that Fusion360 can generate. The slow moving steppers and 3.6k rpm spindle of the retrofitted Bridgeport is not cutting it!

So, I was thinking of building a fixed gantry router. So far these are the parameters I would ideally meet with the machine:

900mm X travel, 400mm Y travel, 200mm Z travel

400ipm/10,000mm/m feeds

High speed spindle 20k plus

Ideally hold under 0.05mm tolerances. Aim is speed of machining. This will be used in a small batch production scenario.

I run a little job shop, so I have access to cold saw, Bridgeport, mig/tig for fabrication. Hence I was thinking a box steel frame with faced mating surfaces would be a good design direction. So far the hardware spec looks something like this:

hgr20 rails in all axis

1605 double nut ball screws (perhaps these should be 2005)

Clearpath SDSK3432P servo motors. Continuous torque of 1.5Nm, peak torque 5.0Nm and max 2380rpm

100x100x5mm SHS construction. Gantry to be 200x150x5mm.

Spindle currently unknown. Open to suggestions.

Would love any input on the proposed specs, any advice on machine design and also feasibility of my parameters.

Many thanks,

J