584,808 active members*
5,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > please help regarding finishing quality milling wood

please help regarding finishing quality milling wood

Good day

Please see photo

I used end mill 3mm for finishing

feed rate 25mm/sec
    step over is 30%
    spindle speed 8000 rpm
    depth of the cut 8mm
    stock thickness 18 mm

There are 2 issues as you can see in the photo

1-You can see the half circules (like if the bit is drilling holes not milling) along the neck line.
    2-the second issue is the bit stroke lines like strips. I think this has to do with the spindle vertical alignment (Not sure because the alignment looks fine).

Philip

Thanks

Re: please help regarding finishing quality milling wood

You're seeing those parallel lines because your step-over is so coarse. 30% is fine for a roughing pass, but not for the final one. Reduce it to something like 1/20th of the diameter of your tool and it will be a lot smoother.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I will give it a try

Thanks for taking the time to help

Philip

I don't know what software is being used but some programs will allow you to define boundaries and this allows you to use a larger tool for the areas with less sharply defined detail and confine the smaller tools to the nooks and crannies.It could save a lot of time as well as giving a better finish on the more gently curved areas.The direction of cuts may be specified to refine the finish in some areas also.If your software allows such a thing.

I am using carveco/artcam for toolpath generation and linuxcnc for control. Blender and fusion360 for 3d.

I thought the same as you mentioned, and I am trying to experement with artcam settings. For instance I could use helical toolpath instead of raster, and will play with ramping angles and other settings.

Firstly I will reduce the stepover and/or use smaller diameter tool.

Thanks

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You're seeing those parallel lines because your step-over is so coarse. 30% is fine for a roughing pass, but not for the final one. Reduce it to something like 1/20th of the diameter of your tool and it will be a lot smoother.
    yes

I went down with the step over to 10% of the bit diameter and the result is perfect

I did not blow the dust yet, I will be engaged in other matters for few days, but I wanted to report the result before I go.

Many thanks to you all

Philip

Polyester microfiber fabric suppliers are the perfect solution for all your needs. Our company has been around for years and has supplied countless fabric suppliers to various industries. We are able to provide you with high quality fabric at the best prices. All of our fabric is made in the USA and is guaranteed to be free of any defects. If you are looking for fabric for your business, then you have come to the right place.

In 2015, Gluons Technology Company began its adventure with a variety of automation devices. Our Gluons Shop is special in both its design and its function. Customers can browse and Buy Things Online with us.