585,883 active members*
4,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Controller ideas wanted

Good day Internet CNC Enthusiasts.

I recently brought home a CNC machine - Owned one about 6 years ago and wanted to tinker in it again.

This machine is a LOT different than my last one. It is a classic PC running Supercam and instead of a controller it has 3 HUGE transformers along with 3 massive capacitors that supply power to the steppers (or servos) not sure which)
    Then the power goes to 3 separate motion controllers (Accelus Model ASP-090-36 to be exact) The machine works when I manually control it as I have loaded any Gcode yet- still cleaning it up.

My question if you choose to drop your two cents in is... why have the 3 separate power supplies and motion controllers? Could I consolidate those to 1 power supply and a CNC controller board? In my mind this would be more efficient, simple, less expensive.

As mentioned the PC that was with it is quite dated running Win XP and Supercam- I am looking to try out Mach4 and potentially get Vcarve (if my budget allows) I am not sure how much life is left but would want to upgrade.
    I understand that the computer is an entirely different arm of the CNC process from the controller but I want to get your thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Entire machine.jpg   cnc router.jpg  

Re: CNC Controller ideas wanted

Those appear to be servo drives, probably driving DC servos?
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a multi axis servo drive. You'll always need one drive per motor.
    High end stepper drives are also almost always one drive per motor.
    Multi axis drives tend to be lower powered hobby level drives.

The reason for the 3 power supplies is because those drives can handle 30 amps per drive, so it's easier to use 3 smaller drives than 1 large 100 amp power supply.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: CNC Controller ideas wanted

That explains it! Thank you. I appreciate the information. No I will see what I can do about the computer part.
    Thank you!