585,665 active members*
3,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > FYI - Bridgeport Quill Master fits the Tormach 1100

FYI - Bridgeport Quill Master fits the Tormach 1100

Just in case you didn't know the adjustable angle Bridgeport Quill Master fits the Tormach 1100 giving you multiangle milling capacity.
    The heavier 90 degree attachment doesn't fit but the Quill Master attachments do. They're cheap right now on Ebay.
    The problem has always been collets but they're easy to make. If any body wants I can repost the G-code to do so.

FYI I tried this to find an easier way to mill extractor slots on the ends of barrels.

Re: FYI - Bridgeport Quill Master fits the Tormach 1100

I'm unsure of exactly what you mean by "heavier 90 degree attachment". I use a slightly modified, designed for Bridgeport, Taiwan clone right angle drive on my 770. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hzqtl_de6Y for a short video of using one (not my video).

Re: FYI - Bridgeport Quill Master fits the Tormach 1100

Quote Originally Posted by GUIDOSAN View Post
    Just in case you didn't know the adjustable angle Bridgeport Quill Master fits the Tormach 1100 giving you multiangle milling capacity.
    I have been using my Quill Master on my PCNC1100 for around a decade.

The heavier 90 degree attachment doesn't fit but the Quill Master attachments do.
    It is relatively simple to modify the Bridgeport Right Angle attachment to fit the PCNC1100; I did this to mine several years ago. You need to remove the large and very strong circlip holding the lower end of the RA attachment spindle shaft bearing in place and then extract the shaft and bearing. Remove the spiral drive gear and shorten the upper end of the internal R-8 taper spindle shaft. Turn down the upper end of the now shortened R-8 taper to 0.75" diameter so that it fits into a 3/4" R-8 collet. Optionally shorten the upper end of the RA attachment housing, removing one of the two spindle clamps (note that this also requires making the upper end of the cut off and turned R-8 taper even shorter). This optional step can be done since the Tormach spindle nose is too short to use both RA attachment clamps, and it will increase the rigidity and working clearance to shorten the housing. Note that even without the optional step the otherwise modified RA attachment works fine, it is merely quite long and you can only use the upper spindle nose clamp anyway.

Addendum: My internal RA Attachment R-8 taper was hardened and required carbide tooling to shorten and alter the diameter. Also be aware that there is a 2,500 RPM input limit on this Bridgeport RA attachment and it is internally geared down so the output RPM is even slower. The beautiful hardened and ground spiral bevel reduction gears should also be well greased!