585,556 active members*
3,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Machining quoting software, Gibbscam vs "quoting" software

Machining quoting software, Gibbscam vs "quoting" software

Seeking a software to produce machining Cycle Time Estimates. We currently use Gibbscam to program.. I am surprised there are not more forums on this and all the ones on here are outdated; years ago. We are a machining job shop and mainly deal with barstock but sometimes forgings or custom aluminum extrusion shapes. We are a modern shop running 30+ CNCs; horizontal mc/pallet pools, vertical mc, lathes with live tooling etc. We have lathe robotics, barfeeds or machining center pallet pools on about half of the machines. Running Doosan and DMG Mori machines mostly. We do a lot of mill/turn parts also. We are mostly a volume shop but some low volume mixed in too. Now that you get our general picture, off to my question: We have an aging quoter who is doing all the quoting manually. He's very accurate and has 40 years of machining/tooling experience and we'd like to start the process of changing our quoting to utilize customer provided 3d files and start to bring our quoters knowledge into a database of our selected software. I know its not realistic to capture "knowledge" in a database but there are a lot of "parameters" he can provide to help us build a realistic database for what is actually happening on the shop floor in our specific machines. We have a lot of similar parts and materials we can use typical cut info from. We use Gibbscam to do our programming now. Sometimes drawing from PDFs and when we can get 3d files, I want to utilize them. Has anyone effectively utilized Gibbscam to get cycle time estimates they feel they can quote with if you add your other cost components to the cycle time? Common sense tells me if we are running actual parts with Gibbs then why wouldn't we utilize Gibbs for cycle time estimates? The other side to that is speed and quote throughput and I don't know that Gibbs will be very fast at quoting activities? We have some good Gibbs users here that I know can help with quoting activities also, but I am personally looking for something user friendly that less experienced people might be able to use, which brings me to softwares like Costimator (3dfx), QuoteCam, Micro estimator, Kipware cyc, etc.

Does anyone have any input on using Gibbs to quote? Quotecam looks interesting but has next to no reviews or good info online. Costimator looks awesome but I feel like it could be a mistake based on some reviews or may not be to the accuracy we need that represents our shop floor. Kipware seems straight forward but it might not be the level of software we seek (I like to see things in 3d and many of us think visually of course). Please share any thoughts on using Gibbscam vs any of the listed "quoting" softwares to quote. Thank You.

Re: Machining quoting software, Gibbscam vs "quoting" software

Sir,
    Why dont you evaluate VRiddhi Estimation software for machined components. you can download the demo from VRiddhi Machining Cost and Cycle Time Estimation Software
    Regards
    Vikrant Athavale

Quote Originally Posted by pro195 View Post
    Seeking a software to produce machining Cycle Time Estimates. We currently use Gibbscam to program.. I am surprised there are not more forums on this and all the ones on here are outdated; years ago. We are a machining job shop and mainly deal with barstock but sometimes forgings or custom aluminum extrusion shapes. We are a modern shop running 30+ CNCs; horizontal mc/pallet pools, vertical mc, lathes with live tooling etc. We have lathe robotics, barfeeds or machining center pallet pools on about half of the machines. Running Doosan and DMG Mori machines mostly. We do a lot of mill/turn parts also. We are mostly a volume shop but some low volume mixed in too. Now that you get our general picture, off to my question: We have an aging quoter who is doing all the quoting manually. He's very accurate and has 40 years of machining/tooling experience and we'd like to start the process of changing our quoting to utilize customer provided 3d files and start to bring our quoters knowledge into a database of our selected software. I know its not realistic to capture "knowledge" in a database but there are a lot of "parameters" he can provide to help us build a realistic database for what is actually happening on the shop floor in our specific machines. We have a lot of similar parts and materials we can use typical cut info from. We use Gibbscam to do our programming now. Sometimes drawing from PDFs and when we can get 3d files, I want to utilize them. Has anyone effectively utilized Gibbscam to get cycle time estimates they feel they can quote with if you add your other cost components to the cycle time? Common sense tells me if we are running actual parts with Gibbs then why wouldn't we utilize Gibbs for cycle time estimates? The other side to that is speed and quote throughput and I don't know that Gibbs will be very fast at quoting activities? We have some good Gibbs users here that I know can help with quoting activities also, but I am personally looking for something user friendly that less experienced people might be able to use, which brings me to softwares like Costimator (3dfx), QuoteCam, Micro estimator, Kipware cyc, etc.

Does anyone have any input on using Gibbs to quote? Quotecam looks interesting but has next to no reviews or good info online. Costimator looks awesome but I feel like it could be a mistake based on some reviews or may not be to the accuracy we need that represents our shop floor. Kipware seems straight forward but it might not be the level of software we seek (I like to see things in 3d and many of us think visually of course). Please share any thoughts on using Gibbscam vs any of the listed "quoting" softwares to quote. Thank You.