584,850 active members*
4,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco KMP3 retrofit

Hurco KMP3 retrofit

I picked up this mill several years ago and documented my challenges on another forum. No need to re-hash that here but I'll answer any questions. Long story short there was some trial to get it working but after a few weeks things started failing one at a time. I intended to retrofit it immediately but got caught up in life stuff and pushed it to the corner of the shop. Now it's been dug back out and it either has to get retrofitted and be productive or it has to go somewhere else.

I did another small retrofit on a small mill to see if I even had the ability and it worked out OK so that gave me some confidence to tackle this one. Video here if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/re2-72BH_l4

Here's a picture of the Hurco.

Attachment 437734

Re: Hurco KMP3 retrofit

I am not an electrical guy by trade but have been around industrial machines a lot and pickuped some knowledge there.

I am in the process of a KM3 retrofit also. Mine is to the point where I can use it but there are still things to do. There are multiple drive choices and at least a couple software choices. Like many others, I gutted the control cabinets except for transformers and a couple of relays on the high power side. I installed a VFD so I am running 220V single phase. The KM3P might need either another inverter or switch the variable speed drive pulley control back to manual. Coolant pump needs to be changed to single phase. I opted to run the controls off of a 120vac outlet, through a UPS to have cleaner power to the controls. I am using the original motors and encoders but will be upgrading the encoders and also adding glass scales in few months.

Many use Mesa boards and they are probably a good choice. I used Machdrives servo drives and BOB and am happy with them so far. Customer service with those guys rocks. The drives are step and direction which is unacceptable to some but you will no doubt do your own research on that. I think that the divide is between people who make a living from the machine or those who are part time/hobbiest. The Machdrives BRA drive supports motor and load encoders so adding glass scales will be easy. The tuning software works well also.

I have both Mach3 and LinuxCNC. There is good and bad about both but I am probably going to use LinuxCNC from here on. Once you get through the first install, it is pretty easy. It can take a little digging to find an appropriate computer but I settled on a mini-itx with SSD mounted in the control cabinet with everything else. I found a touch screen that was plug and play so that was nice. I am going to put another joint in the arm that supports the control so that I can fold it up to the table when out of use. Multiple pin holes for different positions. Right now I am working from the top of the control cabinet. Not ideal but OK for now.

I added an estop panel to the head and during startup I also had a foot switch that needed to be held down in the circuit. I recommend it! One drive ran away and I stopped it in about 8". Only because I flinched because my normal reactions are not that fast.

The head is noisy and at some time I might switch from the variable speed pulleys to a timing belt but that is not a priority.

I spent about 30 minutes every day minimum and sometime 4-5 hours on weekends for 4 months to get this far. I have other obligations so there were some weeks when nothing got done. If I did another one it would take me 6 weeks or less. If my hair was on fire maybe 3 weeks but who has that time and motivation?! Make lots of sketches of your wiring as you go it doesn't have to be great but it should be complete. The next guy to work on it will probably be you!

NIce! There's a few more on here that I've seen on the past. Good to get some time in each day. Makes you feel like you're getting somewhere.

I'm starting on the control cabinet.

Before
    Attachment 438446

After
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200117_162228.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	438448

No turning back now!

Even a little progress is still progress right?

PMDX and Geckos mounted.

Attachment 441958

Encoders mounted and wired.

Attachment 441962

Limit / home switch mount made and wired.

Attachment 441960