585,690 active members*
4,438 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Brass engraving With ww CNC machine

Brass engraving With ww CNC machine

I want to engrave brass with my machine. It is rigid enough to mill brass (I have several times). But now I want to engrave some brass, I used an old wood engraving bit I had and the line was a little wiggly and the bit dulled really fast. But I'm not surprised, it was an old bit made for hardwoods.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a bit and for speeds and settings. I'm looking to make fine lines like on a ruler. It just has to be deep enough to read. I tried .003 inch but I think .001 would be fine. I want to rub some paint on it and then polish the brass leaving the lines behind.

My machine's speed is 12000rpm to 18000rpm.

So what would you recommend for a bit, and feed rate?

Re: Brass engraving With ww CNC machine

Engraving is often done with a diamond drag bit. Spring loaded so that you adjust the depth of engraving by adjusting the z height. And spindle NOT running.

Steve

HI GOODDAY.

THIS IS MY FIRST POST I AM SEEKING HELP WITH THE PARAMITER FOR A FREQUENCY INVERTER ( HY04DO23B ) THE SPINDLE I AM USEING IS A WATER COOLING ( GDZ-24-1 100×255 3.2KW 220V 12A 24000rpm 400HZ. ) I PURCHASED A 1325 CNC MACHINE WITH A RICHAUTO A11 DSP CONTROLLER, FROM CHINA ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO THE INVERTER WAS A SUNFAR E300S0037 INVERTER IT BROKE ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO . IF YOU CAN GIVE SOME ASSISTANCE IT WILL BE WELL APPRECIATED. THE MANUAL IS NOT THAT EASY TO UNDERSTAND, THANKS IN ADVANCE

Quote Originally Posted by vger View Post
    Engraving is often done with a diamond drag bit. Spring loaded so that you adjust the depth of engraving by adjusting the z height. And spindle NOT running.

Steve
    There is also the process of "Burnishing", where the diamond or carbide tooling has been sharpened such that the cutting edge is not conical and centered in the bit like a drag diamond, but offset to cause small circular action when spun.

The process requires rotation, and mostly done with traditional engraving machines with spindles like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/153862533471

The above is a "top loading" spindle. The burnishing tool is loaded from the top, but held with a "Featherweight" or "Burnishing Adapter" Like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotary-Engr...oAAOSwufFdG275

And it uses bits like this:
    https://q1engravers.com/index.php?ma...d5gg8kl7a0ohs5

This method is common with engraving coated/lacquered brass, but can be used anywhere for a different effect. It can, depending on bit used, provide a slightly wider gap for paint or fillers because it can cut a wider "groove". It can also create rather decorative lines when one uses a burnisher with a larger tip size as spindle rpm and transport speed can be messed with to create real fine circular patterns.

The "Featherweight's" function is to apply very, very light spring pressure on the rotating bit.
    Chris L