584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Configuration files for a Millturn and Darwin

Configuration files for a Millturn and Darwin

I'm looking for configuration files for a new mill turn for Mach 4 and Darwin. I'm a new user and it doesn't seem to make sense to start on Mach 3.

Re: Configuration files for a Millturn and Darwin

March 6, 2020

NDBoyd

I'm not able to help you. I scraped Mach 3 in favor of Mach 4 shortly after I received my machine. I wanted to run a newer computer with a later version of Windows (I run Windows 7 on most of my PCs). I wanted to dump the clunky parallel printer port for the more robust USB port. Unfortunately, I could not find a motion controller the worked with USB that I could easily configure. I tried at least two, and possibly three, USB to Gecko 540 motion controllers. I also quickly discovered that Mach 4 did not support backlash compensation (at least at the time I was attempting to use it; maybe it does now). For the most part I found Mach 4 to be incomplete software and still a work in progress.

I've since completely rebuilt/rewired my system to use the hobbyist level Acorn Board from Centroid CNC. I am now running CentroidCNC12 Version 4.20. It is a much more robust, industrial grade CNC software. It interfaces with the Gecko 540 controller without any problems. The only downside that I've found is that Fusion 360 does not have a post processor for the Centroid lathe function. For minor lathe work, I am using Centroid's conversational programming software. It is working for me for facing, minor turning, and threading operations. I'll need to continue to research lathe post processors if I want to get into more complicated turning operations.

Again, I'm sorry that I'm not much more help. I've moved to the Centroid CNC products and have never looked back.

Britt

Thanks for the input. My frustration has me headed down the same path you are. I have Mach 3 running and getting some basics accomplished. However, I thought newer software on a newer computer made sense for the future. I do appreciate the reply. Thanks Britt!

Update

New mill turn, Mach 4, UC 100, Windows 10 computer. Got everything working together. Not sure how I did it.

Tried both ESS and UC 100 and they work fine with newer computers and ethernet cable, but- and it's a BIG BUT- they do not support threading. Neither system has real time communication with the PC, but rather they send "packets" of data, so there is no way for the PC to maintain a constant ratio between the carriage feed rate and spindle rpm. Also found some kinks in the UC 100 regarding M3 and M4 commands that the UC folks were unable or unwilling to address.