584,829 active members*
4,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Chinese 3040 B CNC Engraver 110v or 220v

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and very much looking forward to getting involved. As many others I bought a cheap Chinese engraver on eBay. The problem is I bought it about 6 years ago and don't have a lot of the original documents and cords that were mailed. I'm in the US and so 110V is standard. When I received the CNC router, I remember it came with a power adapter, to go from the European style plug to US (I'm pretty sure it was a converted and not a voltage transformer).

I remember using this setup and plugging it into 110V using the adapter. The machine did run in one axis, but I didn't get the rest working due to software issues.

Now 6 years later I've lost the cables and adapter - and the machine is marked 220V everywhere. Both the spindle motor and control box are all marked 220V.

My question is does this machine possibly support both 110V and 220V? Or did they send me the wrong one for the US market and my machine only partially worked when plugged in at a lower voltage? If it's indeed 220V I'm tempted to buy a step-up transformer to go from 110V to 220V at the correct Wattage.

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3240.jpg  

Re: Chinese 3040 B CNC Engraver 110v or 220v

Answered my own question by looking under the Power Supply.

My specific unit (on the underside) has the following label:

INPUT: 85 - 264 VAC 2.4A
    OUTPUT: +24V 4.5A

So based on this I presume all their models support both 110V and 220V at the same time. When they ship they simply send a different plug to support either US or EU markets.

Most SMPS power supplies are dual voltage.
    Also in some cases the P.S. includes a slide switch according to what voltage you are using, others can be auto-switching.
    One thing often lacking with M/C's of Chinese origin is the poor or even lack of proper Earth Grounding.
    Al. .
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I also have a 220V Chinese 3040. It is easy to wire a 220 volt outlet nearby and then buy a piece of 3-conductor wire and 2- 220V plugs for either end. One must match the socket on the 3040. There are many styles of plugs available. Google it https://www.google.com/search?client...d&q=220v+plugs

However, this is extremely dangerous. I discovered that my 3040 chassis is not grounded; it is tied to the white neutral wire that goes to your house wiring. There is no ground path. If there is a short in the machine, the chassis will be hot at 220V and touching it will probably be fatal. This kind of wiring is not code compliant.

I am trying to find someone on this forum who has fixed this problem.